• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

rents

https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2017/dec/02/pensions-timebomb-rents-homeowners

go back in time a few years and when council housing was sold off, imagine that it was sold to the current occupiers for a quid.

housing benefit bill would be reduced, people would have been able to live on much smaller wages.

any argument about a lack of social housing for people in need currently.. well ther's barely anything available anyway.

This is one of the things that concerned me a lot. How on Earth would I pay my private landlord after retiring on a modest income? Not that it's a concern to me now as I'll be moving into a council flat that's £200 a month cheaper than my current place.

There is going to be one hell of a Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance bill to pay over the next 20+ years. It's all very well the Government cabinet members 'looking after' their landlord buddies but once these tenants get too old to work then it's going to put a strain on the welfare state.

Best ramp up council house building right now. Otherwise the law may have to be changed that will force all private landlords to accept HB/LHA claimants!

20 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

This is one of the things that concerned me a lot. How on Earth would I pay my private landlord after retiring on a modest income? Not that it's a concern to me now as I'll be moving into a council flat that's £200 a month cheaper than my current place.

There is going to be one hell of a Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance bill to pay over the next 20+ years. It's all very well the Government cabinet members 'looking after' their landlord buddies but once these tenants get too old to work then it's going to put a strain on the welfare state.

Best ramp up council house building right now. Otherwise the law may have to be changed that will force all private landlords to accept HB/LHA claimants!

Yep agree but I don't think that the newly built council houses will be going to retirees. Think Grenville. 

3 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

If rents go down then so will GDP. The whole ponzi scheme relies on ever increasing asset values, rents and debt.

To infinity and beyond. It's not sustainable, especially with stagnant wages. 

There are deeper structural problems that will break the system before we get to the point we're worrying about.

Should be in full swing in 5 years time or so.

2 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

If rents go down then so will GDP. The whole ponzi scheme relies on ever increasing asset values, rents and debt.

`And bodies. 

Which the article failed to mention in the first place as one of the main drivers for BTL and the rental sector. 

31 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

If I was the type to worry, it would worry me as well.

I know that my state pension won't cover the rent - primarily because I am competing against the state who keep rents high and have a lot more money than me.

I have accepted that, because of a random event 16 years ago, I will never actually retire.

But I do accept that to a degree I only have myself to blame.