• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

Decorating the tree - a woman's job?

Maybe I am just an old sexist, but I have never known a man to decorate the tree if a woman was available.

I did know someone that tried it, but it was immediately declared a pile of shite by his wife and redecorated.

Yeh. It's the first dosbods Christmas. :Beer:

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Maybe I am just an old sexist, but I have never known a man to decorate the tree if a woman was available.

I did know someone that tried it, but it was immediately declared a pile of shite by his wife and redecorated.

Agree 100%.  When the 3 young Inas were bairns they decorated it. I waited til they had gone to bed, took off the crap and re decorated to perfection.  Everyone happy.

58 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Absolutely CP. I'd no more expect Mr B to decorate the tree than he'd expect me to put the bins out 😉.

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

Yeh. It's the first dosbods Christmas:Beer:

Christ, it feels way longer. :)

but in a good way of course. B|

I think probably women would overall be better at decorating a Christmas tree but there will be plenty of men out there who could do it competently.

I would guess a lot of men just couldn’t be bothered about or care to decorate a Christmas tree so the job falls to the woman in the house.

While I’m very artistic and can make a nice job, IMO, of decorating a Christmas tree I haven’t had one for six years since my daughter left home. She decorated the Xmas tree for the five years prior to leaving.

My son is still at home and he, like me, doesn’t give a shit about having a Christmas tree.

I go and buy the tree and stand it up in the living room, adjust it till it is perfectly straight. Then I add the fairy lights. Then I drink beer and play x-box while the wife and kids hang the baubles and tinsel. I definitely put far more time, money and effort into it, but it’s another situation where she thinks she has done for all intents and purposes “everything”.

Edited by Hail the Tripod

2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I go and buy the tree and stand it up in the living room, adjust it till it is perfectly straight. Then I add the fairy lights. Then I drink beer and play x-box while the wife and kids hang the baubles and tinsel. I definitely put far more time, money and effort into it, but it’s another situation where she thinks she has done for all intents and purposes “everything”.

So you ensure you have a straight tree. And then add fairy lights. 

Hey, Tripod. Leave them trees alone.

I would be quite happy to decorate the tree if I was given any sort of artistic license permission to do so. I'm easily attracted to colourful shiny things, so my ideal tree would be a triumph of multicoloured fairy lights, different shades of tinsel and all manner of fascinating baubles.

Sadly Mrs. Detached seems to feel then need to create something artistically classy. Which rather rules out the possibility of my assistance.

I thought the rule was that the man got the box out of the loft or cupboard, took the tree out, put it up and decorated it whereupon the woman makes some comment (my best one received was "that looks like it's been hit by a lorry") before tutting and doing it all again.

I don't deny that the redone one is better but I have had this pattern most of the last ten years at both home and work.

This year it is my tree and I am decorating it.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I thought the rule was that the man got the box out of the loft or cupboard, took the tree out, put it up and decorated it whereupon the woman makes some comment (my best one received was "that looks like it's been hit by a lorry") before tutting and doing it all again.

I don't deny that the redone one is better but I have had this pattern most of the last ten years at both home and work.

Wow. You have a tree in your shed? Cool.

(No other explanation is plausible)

Right now I'm in the kitchen while the wife is decorating the first of our two trees. I'm not allowed anywhere near the collosal and ever growing amount of crap that appears each year - except for bringing it out of the loft. The first Christmas tradition is the exclamation that 'i know there's another box. Have you checked it's all down?'

From now until boxing day it's just fear about the ever dwindling bank balance.

10 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I would be quite happy to decorate the tree if I was given any sort of artistic license permission to do so. I'm easily attracted to colourful shiny things, so my ideal tree would be a triumph of multicoloured fairy lights, different shades of tinsel and all manner of fascinating baubles.

Sadly Mrs. Detached seems to feel then need to create something artistically classy. Which rather rules out the possibility of my assistance.

I can see why Mrs detached does not let you loose with the tree. 

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I see learnfrom experience is not your strong point Frank. 9_9

2 hours ago, Ina said:

Agree 100%.  When the 3 young Inas were bairns they decorated it. I waited til they had gone to bed, took off the crap and re decorated to perfection.  Everyone happy.

Not heard someone call kids bairns since I left Barnsley.

I realise it's also a Scottish thing too.

As for the tree, I get all the crap out of the attic, and my missus and the minions take care of the rest. Thank god.

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

I see learnfrom experience is not your strong point Frank. 9_9

I thought that was how it was meant to go!

When I lived at home I could sense my Dad's disappointment as one by one we gave up loading the dishwasher because however much we tried to do it well he would always restack it "better"; so we left him to it.

... and the lights. Lights everywhere. Takes me ages going to bed turning them all off. Be easier just to visit the fuse box.  Still pays for powerni's Christmas party.

6 minutes ago, Reebo said:

Not heard someone call kids bairns since I left Barnsley.

I realise it's also a Scottish thing too.

As for the tree, I get all the crap out of the attic, and my missus and the minions take care of the rest. Thank god.

I spend a lot of time in Barnsley.  They are obsessed wi't grandbairns.  And dogs.  Sometimes they wheel dogs round Cudworth in prams.  Another planet.

1 minute ago, NewryH said:

... and the lights. Lights everywhere. Takes me ages going to bed turning them all off. Be easier just to visit the fuse box.  Still pays for powerni's Christmas party.

I will admit that I do like to sit in the dark with just the tree lighting on for a while after everyone has gone to bed. It chills me out :)

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

When I lived at home I could sense my Dad's disappointment as one by one we gave up loading the dishwasher because however much we tried to do it well he would always restack it "better"; so we left him to it.

I'm not allowed near the dishwasher.  Apparently I have no spatial awareness.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

xD

you don't want to do it like that, you want to do it like this. 

1 minute ago, Ina said:

I spend a lot of time in Barnsley.  They are obsessed wi't grandbairns.  And dogs.  Sometimes they wheel dogs round Cudworth in prams.  Another planet.

Yeah Barnsley does seem to exist in it's own bubble. I lived there for about 10 years from 12 years old, but spent most of my life in Sheffield.

Just now, Reebo said:

Yeah Barnsley does seem to exist in it's own bubble. I lived there for about 10 years from 12 years old, but spent most of my life in Sheffield.

I work with a woman from Barnsley. She is bonkers. Stark staring mad. 

Not sure if it is just her or normal for Barnsley. O.o

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

I work with a woman from Barnsley. She is bonkers. Stark staring mad. 

Not sure if it is just her or normal for Barnsley. O.o

Apologies for going off topic again but it really is another world.  The good citizens of Barnsley will rarely do business with anyone who does not have a phone number starting 01226.  It is the most parochial town I have ever come across.