Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Computing - 4K on the cheap


onlyme

Recommended Posts

Took a bit of a gamble buying a cheap(ish) tv to use as dedicated monitor as already had a GTX card with just enough grunt for desktop general use at 4K - has turned out well beyond expectations and seemed to have got the specs right. 

40" Samsung -  UEMU6120, about as cheap as mainstream UHD screens get  - £350 at the moment.  Needs to be this large for full 4K to display at decent scale. Doesn't look too big/stupid even on small computer desk. Key spec is being HDMI 2.0 compatible and being able to set to 4:4:4 / 4:2:2 colour.

Instantly recognised with signal from GTX card on PC and MacBook pro just with a cheapo (quality) HDMI cable a fraction of the price of the one in PCWorld.

Only downsides - amount you have to move your head to see one side of the screen to the other and possibly one  case where a curved screen would be really quite nice as you are sort of looking at the windows menu in particular at an angle. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, dgul said:

Why the hell is watching TV so important for everyone?

well its cheaper than going the pub,i dont have a tv license but i do have hundreds of dvds and run a firestick for youtube and kodi.my tvs 5 years old and cost 300 quid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just upgraded to a 27" monitor. Starting to think I should have gone bigger. I miss my dual monitor setup now, but my daughters claimed my old screens, and I like my life :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Reebo said:

I just upgraded to a 27" monitor. Starting to think I should have gone bigger. I miss my dual monitor setup now, but my daughters claimed my old screens, and I like my life :P

I really wanted 4K for the dual monitor equivalent screen space, it works and is better than two screens  apart from the viewing angle at far extremes of the screen (where naturally you would slant two screens inwards).  Save some pennies up and look for a deal on a min spec TV with 4K, HDMI2.0, 4:4:2 colour and curved screen, if you can get that for £300 maybe s/h then I doubt you will regret it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, onlyme said:

I really wanted 4K for the dual monitor equivalent screen space, it works and is better than two screens  apart from the viewing angle at far extremes of the screen (where naturally you would slant two screens inwards).  Save some pennies up and look for a deal on a min spec TV with 4K, HDMI2.0, 4:4:2 colour and curved screen, if you can get that for £300 maybe s/h then I doubt you will regret it. 

 

Forgot to mention, really does need to be 40" (or only just under) for full UHD, all a bit small at say 32".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2017 at 18:06, onlyme said:

Took a bit of a gamble buying a cheap(ish) tv to use as dedicated monitor as already had a GTX card with just enough grunt for desktop general use at 4K - has turned out well beyond expectations and seemed to have got the specs right. 

40" Samsung -  UEMU6120, about as cheap as mainstream UHD screens get  - £350 at the moment.  Needs to be this large for full 4K to display at decent scale. Doesn't look too big/stupid even on small computer desk. Key spec is being HDMI 2.0 compatible and being able to set to 4:4:4 / 4:2:2 colour.

Instantly recognised with signal from GTX card on PC and MacBook pro just with a cheapo (quality) HDMI cable a fraction of the price of the one in PCWorld.

Only downsides - amount you have to move your head to see one side of the screen to the other and possibly one  case where a curved screen would be really quite nice as you are sort of looking at the windows menu in particular at an angle. 

 

 

Ditto here, picked up a 43" 4k tv to replace my aging 24" monitor in the Black Friday sales and I'm loving it. I know what you mean about the head turning, and defo wished I'd gone for the curved option, and maybe the 40" instead of 43", but still very happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...