• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
the gardener

What kind of scam is this?

Recommended Posts

My eBay account had an unauthorised transaction whereby someone listed an expensive item ~£2000. The item sold very quickly and the money has found it's way into my linked Paypal account.

The eBay transaction shows as a different username selling the item and not me.

I know it must be some kind of scam but can't work it out. EBay have limited my account a bit and annoying I cant reply to questions regarding another item I'm selling.

PayPal are asking me to confirm some info in the next 30 days but that's all. The money isn't yet available to withdraw but is showing as paid.

As a precaution I've deleted all bank card details from Paypal and changed all passwords.

What is the angle here? Where's the scam? Perhaps its an innocent mistake? Am I too cynical?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an expert on Ebay or Paypal but I suspect the scam is for you to refund it in a new transaction then the original transaction is reversed out of your account anyway leaving you £2,000 down. So don't engage with anyone other than Ebay or Paypal on the matter.

Edited by Panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, the gardener said:

My eBay account had an unauthorised transaction whereby someone listed an expensive item ~£2000. The item sold very quickly and the money has found it's way into my linked Paypal account.

The eBay transaction shows as a different username selling the item and not me.

I know it must be some kind of scam but can't work it out. EBay have limited my account a bit and annoying I cant reply to questions regarding another item I'm selling.

PayPal are asking me to confirm some info in the next 30 days but that's all. The money isn't yet available to withdraw but is showing as paid.

As a precaution I've deleted all bank card details from Paypal and changed all passwords.

What is the angle here? Where's the scam? Perhaps its an innocent mistake? Am I too cynical?

They may have hacked your ebay account enough to have been able to change the paypal account, but not done it in time before ebay shut it down.  I would update your FAQs on the other item to say 'Ebay is helping me with an unauthorised transaction on another account - please do NOT reply to any requests to send money outside the ebay system. "

That puts you obviously in the clear for the buyers who may see some restrictions..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Panther said:

Not an expert on Ebay or Paypal but I suspect the scam is for you to refund it in a new transaction then the original transaction is reversed out of your account anyway leaving you £2,000 down. So don't engage with anyone other than Ebay or Paypal on the matter.

Yes I was thinking it was something like that hence I deleted my card details from PayPal. I would never make a refund in these circumstances mind. I haven't opened any communication with the person who paid me either. I have contacted Paypal to deny anything to do with the transaction and to put it right. Phoned eBay as well and they've dealt with their end and assured me it has been sorted.

I must unlink the PayPal account from eBay too.

What with this and the usual people scamming about sending an item by courier to Rep. Ireland despite it clearly stating collection only from an English address, eBay is just becoming too much hassle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look for the right type of products / listings you will regularly see obviously hacked accounts selling large value items in large numbers, pretty obvious that login accounts are getting compromised on a frequent basis. So need to be careful as a buyer too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Panther said:

Not an expert on Ebay or Paypal but I suspect the scam is for you to refund it in a new transaction then the original transaction is reversed out of your account anyway leaving you £2,000 down. So don't engage with anyone other than Ebay or Paypal on the matter.

I would go with this too.

The problem you may now face OP is that you have disconnected your bank account so they won't be able to take out the money. All fine unless you intend to use PayPal again at any point in the next 10+ years and they will want you to pay that money back to them, if they can't recover it back from the original source. That's how PayPal works and this happened to me in 2009, they still won't let me use my real name so I had to misspell it slightly and use different address/phone number etc. Paypal stealthing is very common if you Google it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I would go with this too.

The problem you may now face OP is that you have disconnected your bank account so they won't be able to take out the money. All fine unless you intend to use PayPal again at any point in the next 10+ years and they will want you to pay that money back to them, if they can't recover it back from the original source. That's how PayPal works and this happened to me in 2009, they still won't let me use my real name so I had to misspell it slightly and use different address/phone number etc. Paypal stealthing is very common if you Google it.

It gets better. Now PayPal have further locked my account down insisting that I have to change the password. Fair enough but I already fid that, twice, since this happened. Oh well i changed it again. Then they wanted me to fill in some security questions. Again, fair enough so I filled them in with incorrect answers. Finally they want me to prove my details by uploading a scanned copy of driving licence/passport etc.

Right so my account was compromised and now they expect me to upload detailed and private information about myself that could be used to commit fraud/identity theft. No thanks. I'll close my account. Except Paypal are preventing me doing that.

At least eBay have unlocked things now. I can finally reply to my winning bidder, if they haven't gone elsewhere by now. ☹

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, the gardener said:

It gets better. Now PayPal have further locked my account down insisting that I have to change the password. Fair enough but I already fid that, twice, since this happened. Oh well i changed it again. Then they wanted me to fill in some security questions. Again, fair enough so I filled them in with incorrect answers. Finally they want me to prove my details by uploading a scanned copy of driving licence/passport etc.

Right so my account was compromised and now they expect me to upload detailed and private information about myself that could be used to commit fraud/identity theft. No thanks. I'll close my account. Except Paypal are preventing me doing that.

At least eBay have unlocked things now. I can finally reply to my winning bidder, if they haven't gone elsewhere by now. ☹

I've never heard anything good about PayPal ever! I can only assume that Elon Musk has changed his approach to customer service with Tesla otherwise they're doomed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Have you done full virus scans etc of every machine you access them with?

I've got some anti-virus stuff on the PC. I'll run an extra scan plus may use some extra freebie anti-virus software.

Nothing else apart from eBay and PayPal seem to be affected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.