• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

Another Foreign trucker asleep at the wheel

He added that if he had been travelling any faster the collision, which happened on the evening of March 15, “would likely have had fatal consequences”.

9_9

There's no good way of looking at it.  Even at that speed or slower it could likely have had fatal consequences just due to the size and weight of the lorry. 

How about giving a detailed explanation why he was asleep at the wheel rather than inventing imaginary scenarios.

Edited by twocents

I sometimes think that truck driver cabs should be nice and low to the ground, like cars.  Then, in the event of an accident, the truck driver would suffer similar injuries to the cars that they plunge into, rather than just riding over them with a jolt..  That would focus minds a bit.

35 minutes ago, dgul said:

I sometimes think that truck driver cabs should be nice and low to the ground, like cars.  Then, in the event of an accident, the truck driver would suffer similar injuries to the cars that they plunge into, rather than just riding over them with a jolt..  That would focus minds a bit.

Sorry to any truck drivers out there.  I just think that the situation of trucks & cars sharing the road isn't very symmetrical when it comes to crash risks.

There is another asymmetry when it comes to foreign trucks and the risks they take with the law.  I don't really know where the law stands (I'd be happy to be educated), but I'd imagine that a fleet owner from the Balkans is pretty much immune from UK law when it comes to the behaviour of their drivers, and even the risk taken by the foreign drivers themselves if they flaunt the law is lower (that is, they are less likely to be caught as part of an intelligence led investigation, leaving only spot checks -- which, I understand, are unlikely to spot the more advanced tacho hacks).

Edited by dgul

I commented on this on a couple of other threads.

Its not really foreign, its EE truck drivers. UKs has had foreign truck drivers coming into the UK for years - theres fleets of dutch flower lorries that come into the UK. I cannot remember of  them falling asleep at the wheel.

Im goign to call scam - the EU regs on driving time are pretty strict. Theres only a couple of explanations on this:

1) The truck driver is doing 2 jobs - truck driving and something else.

2) There is massive tach fraud going on.

6 hours ago, dgul said:

Used to work with a bloke who reckoned all steering wheels should be fitted with a 6 inch steel spike in the middle instead of an airbag in order to sharpen the mind when driving.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Used to work with a bloke who reckoned all steering wheels should be fitted with a 6 inch steel spike in the middle instead of an airbag in order to sharpen the mind when driving.

Oddly enough, I also worked with that bloke or one of his duplicates.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5421875/Two-lorry-drivers-trial-M1-crash-left-8-dead.html

And in court...

'Masierak allegedly stopped for 12 minutes in the slow lane in the early hours of August 26 last year, despite there being miles of hard shoulder available.

His lorry caused an obstruction on the motorway forcing others to slow before moving around him, the court was told.

As minibus driver Mr Joseph waited with his hazard lights on for a chance to go around the heavy goods vehicle, a second lorry driven by Wagstaff smashed into the back of the van, forcing it into and under Masierak's lorry, jurors heard. 

Masierak - who is accused of being twice the drink drive limit - had allegedly driven his lorry the wrong way around a roundabout and nearly collided with two other cars just hours before the crash.'

Brit driver not paying attention.
Polish driver pissed and parked on the slow lane.

30 minutes ago, spygirl said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5421875/Two-lorry-drivers-trial-M1-crash-left-8-dead.html

And in court...

'Masierak allegedly stopped for 12 minutes in the slow lane in the early hours of August 26 last year, despite there being miles of hard shoulder available.

His lorry caused an obstruction on the motorway forcing others to slow before moving around him, the court was told.

As minibus driver Mr Joseph waited with his hazard lights on for a chance to go around the heavy goods vehicle, a second lorry driven by Wagstaff smashed into the back of the van, forcing it into and under Masierak's lorry, jurors heard. 

Masierak - who is accused of being twice the drink drive limit - had allegedly driven his lorry the wrong way around a roundabout and nearly collided with two other cars just hours before the crash.'

Brit driver not paying attention.
Polish driver pissed and parked on the slow lane.

Still not sure what to make of it. There has always been a bit of a culture of placing too much blame on vehicles who pile into the back of stationary vehicles and probably not enough effort on raising awareness on prevention. You always get that thing when people pull out sharply from junctions into moving traffic but then don't shift themselves after that relying in the widely held belief any vehicle going into the back of another is at fault.

It's only since crash for cash and dashcams that drivers have started being penalised for pulling out in front of moving traffic too late and the even dafter behaviour like brake-checking.

Edited by SNACR

On 04/12/2017 at 02:59, Chewing Grass said:

that was me.  I have said that.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

Still not sure what to make of it. There has always been a bit of a culture of placing too much blame on vehicles who pile into the back of stationary vehicles and probably not enough effort on raising awareness on prevention. You always get that thing when people pull out sharply from junctions into moving traffic but then don't shift themselves after that relying in the widely held belief any vehicle going into the back of another is at fault.

It's only since crash for cash and dashcams that drivers have started being penalised for pulling out in front of moving traffic too late and the even dafter behaviour like brake-checking.

People not accelerating on slip roads is becoming endemic around here. What the fuck is wrong with somebody who drives like that?

14 minutes ago, eight said:

People not accelerating on slip roads is becoming endemic around here. What the fuck is wrong with somebody who drives like that?

They are 17 and can only get insured on an asthmatic hairdryer?

41 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

56 minutes ago, eight said:

Yeah, I noticed that when I drove in the UK recently.  It's like they assume they can pootle along and not worry about the artic thundering up at 60.  I suspect it is because the rise of the self interested individual has lead to a lack of understanding that the world does not revolve around them...

On 04/12/2017 at 07:59, Chewing Grass said:

Clearly that's ridiculous.

Any driver falling asleep risks injury on impact with the spike.

5 hours ago, wherebee said:

Yeah, I noticed that when I drove in the UK recently.  It's like they assume they can pootle along and not worry about the artic thundering up at 60.  I suspect it is because the rise of the self interested individual has lead to a lack of understanding that the world does not revolve around them...

I frequently slow down at the top of the ramp, to give myself space to get up to speed and not get stuck joining at 40-50. 

7 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

I frequently slow down at the top of the ramp, to give myself space to get up to speed and not get stuck joining at 40-50. 

I just punch it and hope for the best! 

Most people are overawed seeing and hearing a Type R on full chat that they let you on. 

Edited by WorkingPoor

On 04/12/2017 at 07:59, Chewing Grass said:

Jeremy Clarkson did say that on Top Gear way back, about 1999 based upon the registrations.  I'm not syaing that he originated but he certainly disseminated it.

Posted (edited)

Way back heavy goods vehicle drivers and bus drivers used to be rightly known as the knights of the road and ever courteous and helpful in tricky situations.

No longer.

Edited by twocents

24 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Jeremy Clarkson did say that on Top Gear way back, about 1999 based upon the registrations.  I'm not syaing that he originated but he certainly disseminated it.

It's called a Tullock spike and the idea dates from the 1960s.  

16 minutes ago, twocents said:

Way back heavy goods vehicle drivers and bus drivers used to be rightly known as the knights of the road and ever courteous and helpful in tricky situations.

No longer.

Not by the way they drive on the A1.  Passing each other an inch at a time whilst a massive queue builds up behind.  They pull in, you accelerate passed to then have to slam the anchors on as another one pulls out in front of you doing 50.  

They need to be banned from the outside lane on dual carriageways.   

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Not by the way they drive on the A1.  Passing each other an inch at a time whilst a massive queue builds up behind.  They pull in, you accelerate passed to then have to slam the anchors on as another one pulls out in front of you doing 50.  

They need to be banned from the outside lane on dual carriageways.   

The stupid thing is, the industry is quite capable of policing itself, but only when it is in its best interests.

Eg, ban overtaking by lorries on any road during busy hours.  Immediately it would have two effects:  'Slow Loads' would be moved to the non-busy hours, and the industry would develop a code along the lines of all vehicles must be capable of maintaining speed on the road (so no old slow lorries).  But they won't do this on their own -- they'll continue with the 1mph differential overtakes and boats being moved to Birmingham along the A34 at 5pm.

23 minutes ago, twocents said:

No longer.

I think this might be rose-tinted viewing.  Ever see the film 'Hell Drivers'?