• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Hail the Tripod

Doctor dragged from the plane

Apparently this is outrageous:

I don't see why everyone else has to be delayed because he's refusing to get off the overbooked plane when asked then ordered to. You accept the terms and conditions when you buy the ticket. They didn't seem to use anything more than a minimum of force under the circumstances.

I thought they just kept upping the bribe to get off until someone agreed to it?

I was offered £2k for the four of us to be delayed 24 hours in Faro once -  nearly got it as well but someone gazundered me. 

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-10/doctor-dragged-united-plane-after-computer-solves-overbooking-problem

' Then, she said, a manager came aboard the plane and said a computer would select four people to be taken off the flight. One couple was selected first and left the airplane, she said, before the man in the video was confronted. '

' Bridges said the man became "very upset" and said that he was a doctor who needed to see patients at a hospital in the morning. The manager told him that security would be called if he did not leave willingly, Bridges said, and the man said he was calling his lawyer. One security official came and spoke with him, and then another security officer came when he still refused. Then, she said, a third security official came on the plane and threw the passenger against the armrest before dragging him out of the plane. '

Bet hes bullshiting on 'being a Dr' and/or 'having to see patient in the morning'.

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

I thought they just kept upping the bribe to get off until someone agreed to it?

I was offered £2k for the four of us to be delayed 24 hours in Faro once -  nearly got it as well but someone gazundered me. 

This seems like a better way to do it.  The whole 'computer picks' thing seems nice and egalitarian, except that the airline always wins -- they've mucked up by overbooking yet the random passenger has to suffer (perhaps disproportionately).  The bribery method is much more fair -- the airline suffers as exactly as much as the n least inconvenienced passengers.

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

This seems like a better way to do it.  The whole 'computer picks' thing seems nice and egalitarian, except that the airline always wins -- they've mucked up by overbooking yet the random passenger has to suffer (perhaps disproportionately).  The bribery method is much more fair -- the airline suffers as exactly as much as the n least inconvenienced passengers.

I'm sure this eventuality is laid out in the terms and conditions you agree to when you buy a ticket.

With the necessary caveat that every doctor with whom I've dealt has been perfectly reasonable I have heard of some who have this god complex and think that they're so important that the world will collapse if they're not there.

This sounds like one of them and I'm sure on seeing this their work colleagues would have been cracking open the champagne.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

With the necessary caveat that every doctor with whom I've dealt has been perfectly reasonable I have heard of some who have this god complex and think that they're so important that the world will collapse if they're not there.

This sounds like one of them and I'm sure on seeing this their work colleagues would have been cracking open the champagne.

They ALL have a god complex, it's just that some of them dissemble better!

You can't be a doc without supreme confidence in yourself, so it kind of goes with the job.

15 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

They ALL have a god complex, it's just that some of them dissemble better!

You can't be a doc without supreme confidence in yourself, so it kind of goes with the job.

Disagree. 

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Medical not academic.

Medical Phd requires you to go a minor public school, play rugger and be thick.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. It reminds me of a conversation I had with a medical consultant about doctorates. I've mentioned it on here ad nauseam. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. It reminds me of a conversation I had with a medical consultant about doctorates. I've mentioned it on here ad nauseam. 

I was meaning medical.

I've had several friends who had PhDs and, being in the academic environment, were known as doctor.  I wasn't meaning them.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I was meaning medical.

I've had several friends who had PhDs and, being in the academic environment, were known as doctor.  I wasn't meaning them.

It is said in academic circles on meeting a medical doctor and the question is asked, as it always is, whether one is a medical doctor. The accepted response is "no, a proper one". :Passusabeer:

The airlines need to stop overbooking seats.

I nearly overstayed in the US once, because the fucking airline had over booked the seats. That could have caused me serious issues in ever going back. Their border people don't fuck about.

1 minute ago, SpectrumFX said:

The airlines need to stop overbooking seats.

I nearly overstayed in the US once, because the fucking airline had over booked the seats. That could have caused me serious issues in ever going back. Their border people don't fuck about.

They could. But seats would cost more.

US border should not cause a problem. Youll stay the customs part of the line normally.

Just now, Captain Cavey said:

So they kicked someone off who was already sitting in a seat in order to replace them with someone yet to board.  

I think there was an easier solution, or am I missing something here?

No. It was full. Hed have have a cheap seat.

Read the small print in yer ticket.

Just now, spygirl said:

US border should not cause a problem. Youll stay the customs part of the line normally.

I'd regulate so that they can't do it. If seats cost more then so be it.

I just can't believe that they're allowed to do it.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

No. It was full. Hed have have a cheap seat.

Read the small print in yer ticket.

Most flights I've been on where this shit has arisen has been sorted out prior to boarding.

6 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

Most flights I've been on where this shit has arisen has been sorted out prior to boarding.

Yep.

Does look like a fckup. Maybe a late boarding business group, knocking back onto the cheap seats.

1 hour ago, Captain Cavey said:

So they kicked someone off who was already sitting in a seat in order to replace them with someone yet to board.  

I think there was an easier solution, or am I missing something here?

Yes like

• United not allowing the passengers to board the plane until they have sorted out who is not going to be allowed to fly
  • United continuing to up the monetary compensation until they have the requisite number of volunteers to give up their seats (the fact there were not enough takers suggests they were not offering enough money}
  • United hiring a car to drive either the 4 employees they wanted to put on the flight or the passenger from Chicago to Louisville (it is apparently about a four and a half hour journey by road)
  • United booking their employees or the passenger onto a similar flight with a rival airline

Instead of adopting anyone any of these entirely rational options they chose to put three goons on the plane, assault one of their fare paying customers and drag him bodily from the flight just to save a few bucks

I know people have pathetically low expectations of 'service' provision from corporations in the modern capitalist world but to be denied what you have paid for and then be beaten up for your pains seems taking it a tad too far. I am a little surprised that some people on here are actually cheering on the company. Presumably they enjoy being both robbed and beaten every time they engage in a commercial transaction.

As it is the incident is a PR train wreck for the airline who have probably already lost far more money in lost goodwill than they could ever have hoped to have saved and that is before the inevitable lawsuit for millions in compensation which the aggrieved passenger is doubtless going to stick on them in the next few weeks

Edited by Flirtygirty

Going out on a total limb here but perhaps he is a suspected terrist who needed to be taken off the 'plane.  Those two who took him off do not look like airline employees. Then, when the video went viral an excuse had to be manufactured and this was the best they could come up with on short notice. 

As I read it, they decided they needed space for their own employees right at the last moment (i.e. after everyone had boarded). They needed this so they could fix a crewing problem for another flight. That they would consider having a bunch of goons drag one of their customers off the plane they'd already boarded under such circumstances is incomprehensible. I hope he sues them and gets a decent multiple of what it would have cost to persuade someone to get off the flight voluntarily.