• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

davidg

Disturbing movies

What movies have you seen that were disturbing? Just one choice.

For me it is Spoorloos because you just somehow know that most of the disapeared probably end up buried alive by some deranged Frenchman

Fuck yes!

I remember seeing this at the cinema when it came out 30 years ago. You can keep all your ridiculous splatter movies. This was seriously disturbing, without need for any gore.

Edited by Melchett

"The Descent" - the only horror film I almost had to pause at one point to take a break (a more recent sci-fi horror film called "Pandorum" is quite similar in many ways though not as chilling)

"The Human Centipede" - wacky weird horror film involving, as you might have guessed, people being sewn together - this was on TV very recently

"The Passion of the Christ" - you can probably guess where I turned that off.

"The Elephant Man" - actually really seriously harrowing and disturbing.

"A Clockwork Orange" - some of that is quite appropriate to now.

Mine is "Happiness" (1998)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness_(1998_film)#Plot

Very depressing. 3 sisters who are all depressed and miserable living in suburbia, and one of their husbands is a paedophile. Not happy viewing!

Or Earthlings. Have posted it here before, still gives me nightmares.

Also quite liked Mulholland Drive, one of those films you can never quite figure out. Not disturbing, just a bit weird.

1 hour ago, Reebo said:

Not sure if it's actually disturbing, but 'The Road' made me never want to watch it again. Probably more depressing than disturbing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/

Jesus that's a tough film - as you say, more depressing and relentless, hopeless.

54 minutes ago, DTMark said:

"The Descent" - the only horror film I almost had to pause at one point to take a break (a more recent sci-fi horror film called "Pandorum" is quite similar in many ways though not as chilling)

"The Human Centipede" - wacky weird horror film involving, as you might have guessed, people being sewn together - this was on TV very recently

I actually found The Descent to be quite amusing, it didn't scare me, I just found it silly :( 

The Elephant Man - remember watching that when i was about 14 or so, it was really upsetting/moving ... felt very sad afterwards :( 

Clockwork Orange is just brilliant, very relevant to today and nicely twists with your allegiances for and against Alex ...

One more:

The Butterfly Effect

It's a decent enough film but just about everything that happens in it, is bad or harrowing in some way - right to the end, it never cheers up. It's like a series of depressing scenes.

6 minutes ago, DTMark said:

One more:

The Butterfly Effect

It's a decent enough film but just about everything that happens in it, is bad or harrowing in some way - right to the end, it never cheers up. It's like a series of depressing scenes.

That was my favourite film for a while. I recently noticed it on netflix, but declined to watch it again, just in case I realise it was actually crap :)

1 hour ago, DTMark said:

Yeah, The Descent for me. 

22 minutes ago, DTMark said:

One more:

The Butterfly Effect

Mark's infatuation with Amy continues. :D

8 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Yeah, The Descent for me. 

Mark's infatuation with Amy continues. :D

I never realised that she was in it.

You have an exceptional memory for that and for the reference :)

Just now, The Generation Game said:

But poor powers of perception (I would have put money on that being your reason to watch it). 

I might have to watch it again now :)

I think this film came before the Amy Smart thing. She looks very young.

American History X

Benny's Game.

Event Horizon 

The Descent

The Borderlands.

All films that lingered for a long time. Benny's Game fucked me up for ages and The Borderlands gave me the right creeps.

Event Horizon is an interesting one, I've got friends that refuse to watch it ever again

8 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I might have to watch it again now :)

I think this film came before the Amy Smart thing. She looks very young.

We watched it the other day and enjoyed it - I think it's held up pretty well.

30 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Benny's Game.

is that Benny's Video or another film? Where he kills his parents or something like that?

Just looking at The Descent.... how I hate pot holing. The girl on the left looks like someone I went out with, oh and second from right too! Scary.

Edited by davidg

Jeepers Creepers - the UK release had the screams from the ending removed as was considered too much by censors and it does add to the creepiness a lot as makes clear he is being dissected whilst conscious- the director is also a convicted paedophile for extra bonus creepy.

8 minutes ago, davidg said:

is that Benny's Video or another film? Where he kills his parents or something like that?

Yeah, sorry that's the correct name.:Beer:

Kills his girlfriend with a ball bearing gun from what I remember. His mum helps him chop her up and flush her down the bog. Nasty film.

Probably not what the OP meant, but I found Ted pretty disturbing. Even though I turned it off halfway through its effects still took a few days to get over. I felt like I'd been waterboarded, only with shit.

I won't generally watch films if I think I'm going to find them scary or unsettling. A few that have slipped the net are Creep, Solaris (not the George Clooney version), City Of God, The Lives Of Others, the original Poltergeist, even weird stuff like the original B&W BBC production of 1984.

1 hour ago, goldbug9999 said:

Event Horizon. One of my favourite fims but I havnt had the courage to watch it in 10 years.

Yeah that's another film I tend to avoid. Very, very fucking creepy.

Jacobs Ladder always puts the shits up me. Can't really watch that. Bit too close to the bone.