• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Static electric shocks

For about a week or so now - every time I touch one of my cats I get a static electric shock.

This never used to happen and now it happens every time. It's like Peter Gibbons with that door handle in the film "Office Space".

With the certainty of some amusing replies, does anyone have any idea why it is that this never used to happen, and now, it always happens?

47 minutes ago, DTMark said:

For about a week or so now - every time I touch one of my cats I get a static electric shock.

This never used to happen and now it happens every time. It's like Peter Gibbons with that door handle in the film "Office Space".

With the certainty of some amusing replies, does anyone have any idea why it is that this never used to happen, and now, it always happens?

New shoes?

It's normally a carpet/shoe combination that does it for me. Quite comical when the French ladies at work go to exchange "la bise" and get a shock through the lips...

That's what I'm wondering. What has changed. I don't think that anything has. Neither with the house nor the cats.

My brother stayed for a few days. Maybe he brought it with him :)

Funny thing is the cat doesn't seem to feel or respond to it. It's just me. It's getting me down now.

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

That's what I'm wondering. What has changed. I don't think that anything has. Neither with the house nor the cats.

My brother stayed for a few days. Maybe he brought it with him :)

Funny thing is the cat doesn't seem to feel or respond to it. It's just me. It's getting me down now.

Is it possible that your cat has been replaced by a cyborg cat from the future sent back in time to stop your coffee machine starting judgement day?

1 hour ago, DTMark said:

That's weird. Exactly the same things been happening to my 3. Never happened before either. They're slightly longer hair than cats I've had before so I just put it down to that. 

3 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

That's weird. Exactly the same things been happening to my 3. Never happened before either. They're slightly longer hair than cats I've had before so I just put it down to that. 

So another effect we can chalk up to the super moon. No wonder the Egyptians idolised cats. 

2 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Two of our four are long-haired but it's happening with all of them.

Spooky co-incidence.

It's really annoying me now. It doesn't keep me awake at night. But then the cats aren't allowed in the bedroom (has always been this way). If they were, now, I'd be woken up by a static electric charge to the face.

2 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

There is only one lady at work for whom I would care to find out, and she's a senior manager so that would be high-risk to say the least of it.

Trying pushing her over a high balcony and if she floats gently to the ground then you could be in there.

Combo of things.

Most prominent (in my experience) is this time of year with colder air outside and central heating on, the temperature differential between the two means it drops the relative humidity indoors which makes it a better insulator. Any charge you do build up leaks away slower and therefore is more likely to build up higher voltages which will arc and create the sudden discharge responsible for the shock.

I also get it because I wear lots of synthetic clothing. What are you wearing on your feet?

19 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I read that as, you had it put down for that. :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Combo of things.

Most prominent (in my experience) is this time of year with colder air outside and central heating on, the temperature differential between the two means it drops the relative humidity indoors which makes it a better insulator. Any charge you do build up leaks away slower and therefore is more likely to build up higher voltages which will arc and create the sudden discharge responsible for the shock.

I also get it because I wear lots of synthetic clothing. What are you wearing on your feet?

Yep, I got a couple of polyester base layers on and when I take them off at night in my bedroom there are sparks I tell you! Sparks!!