• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
the gardener

Broycott

Recommended Posts

Has anyone else made the decision to be more discerning with their purchases? I have been careful to only put British or Commonwealth products in my trolley over the last few weeks. My mother is doing the same. She won't buy French wine any more. There really are plenty of other options.

If 17.4 million of us Brexiters did likewise I'm sure we could tip the balance of trade and boost our own industries.

No doubt our own producers would just import more EU labour to cope with the increase in production.

Pointless gesture or patriotic duty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said it before, I've stopped buying EU or North African tomatoes as they go rotten within 3-4 days. I haven't bought any tomatoes for 2 weeks as the british hot-house ones I got 2 weeks ago are still ok.  They cost a little bit more but last 5 times longer so there is no waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • As the OP points out, the likelihood is of UK producers importing more EE labour.
  • Until the benefit system is properly sorted out, nothing will change.
  • But what Political Party would pick that one up? Only possibly the Conservatives, Steptoe the arch virtue signaller would just love that

So, Steptoe changes to Steptoe,

Correction, Caw Bin changes to Steptoe.

Personally, I prefer Catweazle.

Edited by Byron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

I've said it before, I've stopped buying EU or North African tomatoes as they go rotten within 3-4 days. I haven't bought any tomatoes for 2 weeks as the british hot-house ones I got 2 weeks ago are still ok.  They cost a little bit more but last 5 times longer so there is no waste.

 

If I pick up veg and see that the label is from an islamic country I put it back and buy something else or go without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny thing is, in most countries around the word there is a 'zeroth assumption' that you'd try to buy from your country.  This is driven by a combination of supply constraints (only your country makes the things you want), laziness (conservatively going for known brands) and, yes, overt patriotism.  

IME the UK is actually quite weird in its enthusiasm for buying something made overseas.  And this applies both to our delight in buying 'exotic' and buying on price to the exclusion of all other factors.

But it is pretty much how it used to be in the UK.  We only got into the habit of buying 'foreign' due to the diabolical build quality of British made stuff in the 70's, along with a sort of post-colonial poshness associated with anything overseas.

Doing the 'nationalistic thing' of buying UK-made is actually just a reversion to the mean.

Edited by dgul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

morrisons wonky veg is all british. and not wonky!

Got a bag of the  2 weeks ago and unlike the 'normal' ones they haven't started to sprout. So its Wonky for me in the future as they are half the price and last twice as long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose you just have to trust the labelling when it comes to sources of food etc. 

Nowadays I think with the levels of dishonesty, corruption and general collusion amongst the corporates there's a good chance that they might even detect trends in purchasing and alter the labels accordingly. 

I'm not saying that's for certain but how would anyone know for sure and we do know that nowadays they're absolutely raddled with dishonesty.

Edited by twocents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the gardener said:

Has anyone else made the decision to be more discerning with their purchases? I have been careful to only put British or Commonwealth products in my trolley over the last few weeks. My mother is doing the same. She won't buy French wine any more. There really are plenty of other options.

If 17.4 million of us Brexiters did likewise I'm sure we could tip the balance of trade and boost our own industries.

No doubt our own producers would just import more EU labour to cope with the increase in production.

Pointless gesture or patriotic duty?

On the other hand, buying Australian rather than French wine will hit the bottom line of small French wine producers, but not have any impact on the members of the European Commission.

Totally agree with you about "buying local" where possible. I myself try to avoid stuff like garlic from China O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if we wanted to make the effert we could bring any goverment down we choose to within 3 months ,it wont be nice it wont be pretty but it can be done by simply buying the basics ,ie enough to live on and not by buying tat we dont need we are a consumperist society.i simply buy has little has possable with the exception of stella has i love her.i loath giveing the system a penny more than is needed.we dont need to riot we dont need to kill each other or hang people from lamp posts and it wont take long .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DeepLurker said:

On the other hand, buying Australian rather than French wine will hit the bottom line of small French wine producers, but not have any impact on the members of the European Commission.

Yes, but in a broader context, is it time to start taking a more protectionist outlook on an individual level to try and take back a degree of control when the government are failing to deliver brexit? I don't want a special relationship with the eu, just balanced relationships with all foreign states. Humans are tribal creatures and the borderless arrangements of the eu are creating division and resentment within society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always have so I won't really be changing my buying habits, but rather just carrying on in the same vein.

Now that I've discovered Wiley Fox mobiles, I'll be buying them from now on. Obviously they're not manufactured in the UK but at least they're a UK company. 

The big one coming up for me is going to be buying a new car. I need a 4 door saloon or hatchback, so I suppose the thing to do is to figure out which one has the most UK hours in its manufacture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blobloblob said:

I always have so I won't really be changing my buying habits, but rather just carrying on in the same vein.

Now that I've discovered Wiley Fox mobiles, I'll be buying them from now on. Obviously they're not manufactured in the UK but at least they're a UK company. 

The big one coming up for me is going to be buying a new car. I need a 4 door saloon or hatchback, so I suppose the thing to do is to figure out which one has the most UK hours in its manufacture.

You have a surprisingly big choice:

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/cars-made-in-britain

The first time I paid decent money for a car it was a new Astra and the fact that it was made in Britain (and still is) was a big factor in that.  My previous cars were also British built (Escorts, from the days when Ford made cars here) wasn't really relevant as they were cheapo ten year old cars.

Current is sadly VW group but was an impulse buy as I had a craving for a hot hatch. I won't do it again.

Edited by Frank Hovis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

You have a surprisingly big choice:

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/cars-made-in-britain

The first time I paid decent money for a car it was a new Astra and the fact that it was made in Britain (and still is) was a big factor in that.  My previous cars were also British built (Escorts, from the days when Ford made cars here) wasn't really relevant as they were cheapo ten year old cars.

Current is sadly VW group but was an impulse buy as I had a craving for a hot hatch. I won't do it again.

My mini is covered with union flags.  On the steering wheel, the back of the headrests.  It is made in Holland. o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a 3.5 ton van user, I do miss the British made Leyland / LDV Convoy vans. They were slow and noisy but carried a load well, were simple, rugged and ace over rough ground. The current VW is better on the motorway, but not bouncing along pot holed back roads were I spend much of my driving time.

Edited by Caravan Monster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

Yes, but in a broader context, is it time to start taking a more protectionist outlook on an individual level to try and take back a degree of control when the government are failing to deliver brexit? I don't want a special relationship with the eu, just balanced relationships with all foreign states. Humans are tribal creatures and the borderless arrangements of the eu are creating division and resentment within society.

 

If you  want to send a message to the EU, I'd suggest this: the UK is split between the bustling major cities (pro-EU) and all the rest of the country (anti-EU). The major cities produce intellectual goods (music, insurance, banking services, etc...) while the rest of the country produces anything physical.

France is very (very) roughly split the same way. The countryside and the old industrial heartlands are feeling the effect of wage arbitration, the big cities less so. So keep on buying French wine, cheese, tomatoes, cars, etc... Anything that's physical. And make an effort to avoid French insurance companies etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By Chewing Grass
      Well May has paid a farewell visit to Brussels and been treated very civilly after her astounding achievement back in the UK of stalling the leave process.
      The media keep shoving microphones in the faces of senior europhiles and are unanimously told that the EU doesn't negotiate and they don't care who the new PM is they won't change their mind.
      The overall impression is that the monolith known as the European Union has publicly become akin to the 4th Reich and the UK is in the same boat as the Catalans, all we need now is for the chief Brexiteers to be rounded up and arrested.
      We have now entered phase 4.
    • By Bricks & Mortar
      There's a Facebook group called Brexit Protest and Direct Action.  Organised a number of go slows on major routes last night to cause tailbacks.     26,000 members, up 1000 since yesterday. 

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/291523940881959

      Just posted by an admin :  "GRIDLOCK THE UK, MARCH 29th, WATCH THIS SPACE, ITS GONNA HAPPEN."
    • By sarahbell
      https://jobs.mumsnet.com/job/1681768/policy-team-leaders-opportunity-to-work-flexibly-2-year-contract-/?utm_source=newsletter_Jobs&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=21/03/2019&utm_term=Flexible%2C+home-based+roles+from+HSBC%2C+ASOS%2C+High+Speed+Rail+and+more

       

      Recruiter Department for Exiting the European Union (DExEU) Location London (Westminster, SW1A) Salary £58,852-£71,929 Posted 14 Mar 2019 Closes 29 Mar 2019 Category Business and Consultancy, Public Sector Function Consultant, Project Management Contract Type Temporary Hours Flexible
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.