DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Village sold for £120k

Frank Hovis

5a2ce6bafc7e93645c8b4567.jpg

The small, sparsely-inhabited village of Alwine, located some 150 kilometers south of Berlin, was auctioned off on Saturday in the German capital for €140,000 ($165,000), local media report. Karhausen auction house had set the minimum bid for the 16,000-square meter village at €125,000 ($147,000).

The buyer turned out to be the only bidder at the auction, and is now the owner of six homes and numerous barns and outhouses. The buildings have fallen into disrepair since the village was acquired by two brothers in 2000, one of whom has since died. The village is hidden in the middle of a pine forest, there are no shops or public services and coaches along the only road in the vicinity pass the settlement without stopping.

The population of Alwine, described by Karhausen as a “settlement in the form of a village,” has dwindled to just 15 people since the closure of a nearby fuel briquette plant – said to be Europe’s oldest – following German re-unification in 1990, Spiegel reports.

https://www.rt.com/news/412625-german-village-sold-auction/

Do you see a bargain?  I see a liability.  It will cost more to put right than it will return and will have a negative NPV.

In all the "property is king" zeitgeist people forget that houses start to crumble from the day they are built and, without regular maintenance, there will come a point where the NPV of the maintenance bill will exceed the NPV of the rent bill and you will make more money (or rather lose less) by just giving it away.

This buyer has overpaid by £120k.

swiss_democracy_for_all
11 hours ago, One percent said:

Bugger, we could have had that as an alternative to dosbods island 

Yeah in that area we could make a community like in the film "The Village"....   :ph34r:

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I'd live in the farm house, knock the rest down, and live off the land. For £120k that's a bargain.

And that isn't a pine forest.

That's a bit mean spunko. Are you not going to bring the rest of dosbodders with you?  :)

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I'd live in the farm house, knock the rest down, and live off the land. For £120k that's a bargain.

Sounds like a bargain to me, unless the German government made you rebuild everything under some sort of conservation rules. If you could just restore one building and let the rest sit for a while that's surely an amazing bargain.

It's in Germany though, somewhere I have never visited but wanted to. I don't think I would go there now.

I think it maybe is a pine forest, there are lots of deciduous (sp?)  trees near the buildings but there are quite a few coniferous trees outside that area.

28 minutes ago, One percent said:

Thank you my lord and master. I'll get together with @Carl Fimble to organise the mass move. :)

We should have bought Tanera Mor, since we didn't I think the best plan is for us to try to fix our country and the rest of the world. It in fact is a better plan, running off to an island (or another country) is cowardly.

swiss_democracy_for_all
2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Pretty sure you could get 16000m2 of land with a ruin on it in warmer climes in Spain or France for that or even less

1 hour ago, swissy_fit said:

Pretty sure you could get 16000m2 of land with a ruin on it in warmer climes in Spain or France for that or even less

I wouldn't buy in Spain with the foreign owned houses being taken back by the Spanish state at a whim and levying all sorts of punitive taxes etc.

I think I'd go all-in and buy someone nice in Crete or even hotter. Fuck the cold!

swiss_democracy_for_all
13 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Lovely, I'm sure the lucky buyer can't wait to meet the neighbours.

"You've got a purty mouth, boy...mmm hmm."

banjoboy.png

You've been to Gunnislake in Cornwall then?

7 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

No but I did end up somewhere isolated there once. Can't remember the exact name but it ended in 'haven'.

They were having some kind of festival when we arrived there (after driving about fifteen miles down a single track road) and by Christ, the whole village watched our every move. It was properly unnerving and after a few minutes we both decided that if we hung around for much longer, we were going to be marched away at the point of a pitchfork and either eaten or bummed asunder by half the populace. Then eaten.

Left a few skid marks on the asphalt and in my pants getting out of there, I can tell you.

Gorran Haven?

Worked with someone who lived there.  She was normal enough but it's one place in Cornwall i don't think I've been.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorran_Haven

On 11/12/2017 at 15:35, spunko2010 said:

I wouldn't buy in Spain with the foreign owned houses being taken back by the Spanish state at a whim and levying all sorts of punitive taxes etc.

I think I'd go all-in and buy someone nice in Crete or even hotter. Fuck the cold!

That was one of the European acid test that was a total fail - absolute scandal what has taken plate along the costas with illegal buildings being sold off to duped Brits in the full knowledge of the authorities and pretty much sweet FA done about it. Major advantage with Spain is frequent and cheap flights vs other places, well unless  you want to live in a British enclave, which I wouldn't. If living abroad more permanently then flight cost not quite so much of an issue even then.

On 11/12/2017 at 16:07, Sgt Hartman said:

No but I did end up somewhere isolated there once. Can't remember the exact name but it ended in 'haven'.

They were having some kind of festival when we arrived there (after driving about fifteen miles down a single track road) and by Christ, the whole village watched our every move. It was properly unnerving and after a few minutes we both decided that if we hung around for much longer, we were going to be marched away at the point of a pitchfork and either eaten or bummed asunder by half the populace. Then eaten.

Left a few skid marks on the asphalt and in my pants getting out of there, I can tell you.

If you are really bad and upset the locals you'll be up hung upside down in an old tin mine shaft.

Archived