• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Sucralose Ray Leonard

Fave Christmas Film

Last Xmas themed best of thread from me I promise.

What films make Xmas for you? They don't have to have an Xmas theme per second, but ones you associate with this time of year.

Mine are (in no specific order)

Die Hard (1 & 2)

Trading Places

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Great Expectations (B&W version)

Home Alone (1 & 2)

Scrooged

National Lampoon's Xmas Vacation

Any Carry On film

Yep, Trading Places and Bad Santa

A Christmas Carol - but it's got to be the George C Scott made for telly version (don't be put off that it was a tv movie, it's the best Carol I've seen) https://www.salon.com/2009/12/25/christmas_carol_3/

Some Like it Hot - for some bizarre reason (but it must be on really, really late)

Edited by Knock Out Johnny

The Sound of Music.

Isn't there a diifference between a good film for Christmas and a film that has some Christmas context?

It's A Wonderful Life

White Christmas

I tend to watch all the 'A Christmas Carol' films each year. Not so keen on the Albert Finney one. I do enjoy the one with Patrick Stewart and I am a bit of a sucker for Kelsey Grammar in one of the musical versions - mainly because it has Jennifer Love Hewitt and Jane Krakowski whom I have big crushes on.

When I was a youngster the Beeb had a tendency to put 'Barbarella' on late on Christmas or Boxing Days. I think it shaped a great deal of my life sneaking to stay up later watching that after my parents had gone to bed.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

The Sound of Music.

Isn't there a diifference between a good film for Christmas and a film that has some Christmas context?

It's A Wonderful Life

White Christmas

I tend to watch all the 'A Christmas Carol' films each year. Not so keen on the Albert Finney one. I do enjoy the one with Patrick Stewart and I am a bit of a sucker for Kelsey Grammar in one of the musical versions - mainly because it has Jennifer Love Hewitt and Jane Krakowski whom I have big crushes on.

When I was a youngster the Beeb had a tendency to put 'Barbarella' on late on Christmas or Boxing Days. I think it shaped a great deal of my life sneaking to stay up later watching that after my parents had gone to bed.

That was the first film I saw at the cinema. My dad took me and about half way through, I said that I was bored now and could we switch channels. :)

13 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Muppet Christmas Carol, Die Hard, Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life, Home Alone, Love Actually, The Great Escape.

A couple on your list I could live without but in general, you've nailed it. I'd expect to have to sit through a couple I don't care about because family Christmas watching.

And a Pixar movie, pretty much any of them. And maybe Shrek 1 or 2 (are they Pixar? Can't be bothered to look).

And maybe a Bond flick, but none of the crap from the last 20 or so years. I like my ridiculous crap old and camp and knowing, not wannabe computer game graphics with no sense of how preposterous it is.