• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
OurDayWillCome

Carol Singers at the door...

When we first moved into our street in London, the locals would tour all the streets singing carols as they went. Not knocking on doors, but just congregating in the street and singing. Magical. Sadly, they seemed to stop a couple of years ago. 

26 minutes ago, One percent said:

When we first moved into our street in London, the locals would tour all the streets singing carols as they went. Not knocking on doors, but just congregating in the street and singing. Magical. Sadly, they seemed to stop a couple of years ago. 

As a child I loved it when carol singers knocked on the door. I have also noticed a decline in houses decorated with lights in my neighbourhood - cultural enrichment.

4 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

As a child I loved it when carol singers knocked on the door. I have also noticed a decline in houses decorated with lights in my neighbourhood - cultural enrichment.

Still chavtastic with the lights round me. I'm not sure it will last though 

9 minutes ago, dgul said:

Isn't that the way it's gone, though -- all or nothing?

I've upped my game as a reaction to the neighbours only covering their houses during the wedding season. I do like to keep mine tasteful - they have looked really nice with all the snow ❄️ 

We get some most years where I live in Toronto. It’s an interesting mix of traditional and a couple of groups of mostly African singers who jazz stuff up a bit. It’s usually super cold and snowy here at Christmas too so it’s no little effort to go out singing.

37 minutes ago, One percent said:

I like it though. It's the only time of the year when you can do bling without anyone battling an eye.  

Funny how it has become so mainstream though.  I remember when I was little my dad taking us up to town to see some stupid house that was bedecked.  They're about 5% of houses these days.

I do remember at the time there was concern about just how much electricity the thing was taking -- and, to be fair- with just incandescents it must have been considerable.  These days the additional electricity usage is inconsequential, and the concern has moved on to Bitcoin miners.

14 minutes ago, dgul said:

Funny how it has become so mainstream though.  I remember when I was little my dad taking us up to town to see some stupid house that was bedecked.  They're about 5% of houses these days.

I do remember at the time there was concern about just how much electricity the thing was taking -- and, to be fair- with just incandescents it must have been considerable.  These days the additional electricity usage is inconsequential, and the concern has moved on to Bitcoin miners.

If you have lights and nobody sees them, are they really there?

Fond memories of this. A 22 house cul de sac was my home street as a child and the local choir would gather in the middle and sing for ten minutes before moving on. Every house, without exception, would gather outside to watch and make a donation.

What a shame this is yet another tradition that has been killed off.

5 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

Not this year but a choir I was part of in London used to go to one of the stations (was Earlsfield last time) and sing carols to returning commuters. 

Quite amused, upon investigating, that they were doing carols at Earlsfield when I posted this. They also seem to have done gigs near Putney Bridge and Southfields in the last week or so. 

2 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

What's with the blue Christmas lights too. I don't get that trend, seem to be more of them every year. 

8 hours ago, dgul said:

Not quite that chavtastic. o.O  we have one string of lights across the front of the house. What's really nice is that most of the road does the same, so tastefully done (for Christmas lights) imho. 

56 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It's probably what the Chinese manufacturers had an abundance of (blue and cold white led's) or their interpretation of Christmas lighting - every city in China is a garish LED flashing/strobing onslaught at night.

8 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

It's probably what the Chinese manufacturers had an abundance of (blue and cold white led's) or their interpretation of Christmas lighting - every city in China is a garish LED flashing/strobing onslaught at night.

My completely unscientific opinion is that they'll discover in a few years that LED lights fuck with nature, in particular birds who can't tell if it's night or day. The light they emit is awful!