• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Bkkandrew

Poppy

In my quest to troll The Guardian with oddball Trump references (see Goading the Graun thread), I happened across this:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/11/poppy-youtube-meme-pop-sensation-titanic-sinclair-moriah-pereira#comment-109578404

I mean, WTF?

Happily I managed to get a spurious Trump comment in, but, seriously, WTF is this Poppy thing?

17 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

In my quest to troll The Guardian with oddball Trump references (see Goading the Graun thread), I happened across this:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/11/poppy-youtube-meme-pop-sensation-titanic-sinclair-moriah-pereira#comment-109578404

I mean, WTF?

Happily I managed to get a spurious Trump comment in, but, seriously, WTF is this Poppy thing?

She was obviously programmed by a racist, sexist, white male and therefore should be banned. 

Quite entertaining.  It is just crap art, but it is better than most examples.

I do find this sort of thing fascinating.  It is probably to me (mid 40s) exactly what the Beetles appeared to be for parents in the 60's.  A sort of 'really quite rubbish' coupled with 'they're just acting, they're not actually talented', ignoring the fact that it was the act that was the brilliant thing -- it overshadowed the music (and still does).

Punk sort-of did the same thing in the 70's -- ie, It is really about the art and the mood, not about what is actually going on with the music.

It is, of course, still crap.  But I listened to crap music (and performance in general) when I was a teen -- it is nice that the current (might) have their own crap that their parents can only absolutely moan about.