• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

When do you turn your heating off for the summer

When does you heating go off for the summer  

26 members have voted

1. 1. When does you heating go off for the summer

• February
    • March
    • April
    • May
    • I leave it on all year and let the thermostat decide
    • I never have it on as I'm really hard or downright tight

Straight forward really, my 1960s house surprisingly really war to ziegel block inner leaf and although hot in summer is warm in winter so the heating generally goes off at the beginning of march.

Edited by Chewing Grass
still cant get the bugger to let me vote

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Sorry Chewy - but your poll choices don't contain my answer.

Mine hasn't been switched-on at all since April 2013.

All because of the lovely warm glow I've had inside me ever since Thatcher died...

XYY

Last option covers that: I never have it on as I'm really hard or downright tight

I'm surprised anyone is answering anything other than thermostat! It's not exactly new technology, and a certain temperature is either warm enough, or it isn't.

So you people who turn off the heating in April, do you keep it off if there's snow? Or are you just answering for this year as we've had nice weekend?

9 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

I'm surprised anyone is answering anything other than thermostat! It's not exactly new technology, and a certain temperature is either warm enough, or it isn't.

So you people who turn off the heating in April, do you keep it off if there's snow? Or are you just answering for this year as we've had nice weekend?

It's the unpredictability. It is unpleasant to wake up on a weekend to an overheated house. Simpler to turn it off and boost as required 

16 minutes ago, One percent said:

It's the unpredictability. It is unpleasant to wake up on a weekend to an overheated house. Simpler to turn it off and boost as required 

Surely that's what the thermostat does - turn it off once it reaches the correct temperature i.e. before it gets too warm?

Mind you, we still have a coal fire occasionally in summer as we like the focus it gives the room. We'll have all the doors open and sit around half-dressed to cope with the heat...

Turned it on in December, Turned it off in February. Winter was +4C hotter than average where I am.

Well I say "turned it off", I mean the missus stopped fetching wood for the wood burner at that date. Beforehand whenever she wasn't around the Tot and I didn't bother because it was warm enough without heating.

She doesn't want to heat with wood next year as some "nasty looking spiders" are lurking in the wood store. I took a look and they do look pretty thuggish, a new type we've not seen before with very fat, hairy legs. The nipper thought they might be German or Swedish based on that description but I pointed out they are not blond!

Edited by davidg

21 hours ago, Dipsy said:

1st April is formal shutdown but I will turn it off on ad-hoc milder days earlier if necessary. Goes back on 1st October unless too mild.

These are my times too, however I think my thyroid must be playing up 'cause I'm bloody freezing all the time atm. 

I can only say "it depends".  If I'm in the house and I'm cold then I turn it on.

It's been off for a week but I work from home some days when I'm not moving much so get cold, so it's back on today.

I don't do thermostats / timers as I'm away a fair amount so I don't wish to heat an empty house.

I did see how long I could keep it off or / how early I could turn it off in my first winter in this house and ended up having to wash a lot of clothes to get the damp mould off them.  So I've not done this since, and have a humidity monitor, and the damp problem has gone.

On 10 April 2017 at 23:02, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Surely that's what the thermostat does - turn it off once it reaches the correct temperature i.e. before it gets too warm?

Mind you, we still have a coal fire occasionally in summer as we like the focus it gives the room. We'll have all the doors open and sit around half-dressed to cope with the heat...

I have a 3 storey house and the thermostat is on the ground floor which is the coldest floor by far. If I relied on that I'd be running around turning off radiators on the upper floors, so off it goes in April and is back on if we get a cold snap, other than that it's extra jumper time or as I said to my husband the other evening, "stop sitting around in shorts and put some trousers on". 

Our flat is really warm so come late March or early April I turn the thermostat way down so that the heating doesn't come on when the temperature briefly dips below 18 overnight - even on cooler days at the moment the temperature gets up to about 22-23 during the day (top floor so the sun warms us up nicely). If we get an unseasonable cold snap then I'll turn the thermostat back up.

2 hours ago, Dipsy said:

I have a 3 storey house and the thermostat is on the ground floor which is the coldest floor by far. If I relied on that I'd be running around turning off radiators on the upper floors, so off it goes in April and is back on if we get a cold snap, other than that it's extra jumper time or as I said to my husband the other evening, "stop sitting around in shorts and put some trousers on". 

Replace it with a wireless one.

Absent mindedly, I turned my heating system off befor going away for two weeks at Christmas a couple of years back. Whilst I was away the temperature averaged minus 20C and there was an ice storm (I never knew there was such a thing before). When I got back it took me about ten minutes to get the front door open with some help of a few buckets of warm water from the neighbours. I was really lucky that everything thawed out without breaking but I still had to do some repainting. Mind you, this is Toronto not Surrey. These days the heating thermostat is set to a backstop of 12C at all times.