• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Man spontaneously combusts in London Street

Man dies after bursting into flames in unexplained circumstances in London street

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/man-catches-fire-dies-london-street-haringey-john-nolan-70-age-police-appeal-metropolitan-a8111901.html

A pensioner has died of his injuries after bursting into flames in unexplained circumstances in a London street.

Police are appealing for information on the blaze that killed 70-year-old John Nolan, a retired construction worker originally from Ireland.

--------------------------------------------------

(end quote here, forum bug)

--------------------------------------------------

How odd.

Edited by DTMark

Parafin based skin medication build up on his clothing and lighting a fag would be my guess 

But I’m not a smart copper so will probably remain an unsolved case 

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Spontaneous combustion doesn't exist; the police need to try a teeny bit harder.

Ex builder, irish ..... hed be a meths drinker. Clothes were probably doused in moonshine.

No accelerant detected ...

If the bloke was drinking poteen or polish homebrew vodka, its pretty much 70% alcohol. No smell, just fall down juice. The liwuid will burn off in seconds with no smell.

16 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

This makes me strangely nostalgic, I'm afraid to say. When I was growing up, people would spontaneously combust all the time. Judging by news reports and popular press clippings, it was very fashionable. I think it had some kind of resonance for the post-hippie 70's generation, as it was mysterious and made people think of higher powers and hidden forces and all that kind of stuff, which was popular at the time. It wasn't really the case that you couldn't go shopping without stepping in smouldering carcasses, but there was a definite trend of news articles.

In the end, I think it all got traced to overweight American smokers, who would die of a heart-attack on their sofas, drop the cigarette, and then there would be a slow, smouldering fire over the following day or two, that wasn't enough to set off the alarms. The police would eventually turn up because of a reported funny smell; and find an entirely vacant apartment, except for a foot and a couple of fingers. To the eye of faith, it would look like they (the victim, not the police) had been dematerialised by a rather careless deity. Anyway, I seem to recall that these sorts of stories, minus the mundane explanation, got a lot of press coverage at the time, and then sort of grew in the telling, until (if you believed the wilder fringes of gossip) you'd worry that you might be wandering along the promenade at Blackpool, chomping into your hamburger, and suddenly explode in a spectacular fireball.

Very sorry for the poor chap involved, I should add.

Too quick to be a case of a fatties, fag and tshirt wick.

Id still bet on a boozer buying 90% polski/poteen, sloshing it i to his winter coat and then having fag.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

No accelerant detected ...

If the bloke was drinking poteen or polish homebrew vodka, its pretty much 70% alcohol. No smell, just fall down juice. The liwuid will burn off in seconds with no smell.

Unless he made the booze himself, it will have been diluted down to 50% abv or less. 2 bottles of 40% abv vod will get more money on the black market than 1 bottle of 80% abv vod. Besides, drinking 80% abv booze feels like your mouth is on fire.

Meths is ~95% abv and the impurities in it give a yellow flame. Anyone that had a Mamod Steam toy as a kid can tell you that a little bit of meths can burn for a long time.

If it was 'as good as it gets' homebrew ethanol, then no visible flames but it can burn for as least as long as meths. When I do a purity test and burn a teaspoon of product, it takes almost 2 minutes.

In my old chemistry book, one of the magic tricks was to dilute meths 50/50 with water. Now known as 'Magic Paraffin', hankies etc. can be doused in it and when set alight, the liquid burns but the cloth doesn't. (I feel sorry for todays kds.)  My guess is that something similar happened to this guy. He may have spilled a fair bit of vodka on himself and it caught fire. Clothes fine but his flesh got burnt.

13 minutes ago, jm51 said:

Unless he made the booze himself, it will have been diluted down to 50% abv or less. 2 bottles of 40% abv vod will get more money on the black market than 1 bottle of 80% abv vod. Besides, drinking 80% abv booze feels like your mouth is on fire.

Meths is ~95% abv and the impurities in it give a yellow flame. Anyone that had a Mamod Steam toy as a kid can tell you that a little bit of meths can burn for a long time.

If it was 'as good as it gets' homebrew ethanol, then no visible flames but it can burn for as least as long as meths. When I do a purity test and burn a teaspoon of product, it takes almost 2 minutes.

In my old chemistry book, one of the magic tricks was to dilute meths 50/50 with water. Now known as 'Magic Paraffin', hankies etc. can be doused in it and when set alight, the liquid burns but the cloth doesn't. (I feel sorry for todays kds.)  My guess is that something similar happened to this guy. He may have spilled a fair bit of vodka on himself and it caught fire. Clothes fine but his flesh got burnt.

I can buy 70% rum at tesco  - nazy strength.

Polski shed vodka and poteen comes in misc bkttles at similar strength.

If hes been given a bottle and tried to drink it pissed, it will have splashed all down his body, near his face. Light a fag and hell exploded, setting his face alight, burning hus lungs as hell breathe in flaming air.

1 hour ago, jm51 said:

Im going to try that magic hankie thing!

Your all talking bollocks, the man was targetted at random by DERA field testing their latest kit.

It has been nearly 10 years since some info about the tech leaked out and it is more than likely much more advanced and very portable.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/02/atl_first_flight_test_against_target/

In 2009 it was stated that the weapon would be able to cause a cell tower to stop working, a vehicle's fuel tank to suddenly explode, or a single person to inexplicably be incinerated - all completely silently and tracelessly, without anyone knowing they were ever there and not so much as a spent bullet left behind.

"The bottom line is that ATL works, and works very well," added corporate raygun honcho Gary Fitzmire.