• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JackieO

Smashed glass on our Car

So JFK and our daughter parked up on a lovely leafy square in South Manchester.

It was a short visit but on return to our we found turmoil on the quiet street with literally dozens of cars with smashed windows.

A little later police said teenagers with bus glass breakers had done this before <sigh>

Our question is:

Where is the best/cheapest to replace broken side windows on a car

Good grief sorry to hear that, pretty sure crime is rising across the board as mentioned previously.

I would have thought scrappy for the replacement side windows and small garage/mechanic that does bodywork repairs as well as the usual repairs - they get pretty practiced at stripping down doors and should be able to do it reasonably quickly.

9 minutes ago, JackieO said:

It was a short visit but on return to our we found turmoil on the quiet street with literally dozens of cars with smashed windows.

A little later police said teenagers with bus glass breakers had done this before <sigh>

Our question is:

Fully comp insurance should cover that , depends on your excess and no claims protection if it will cost loads 

56 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Good grief sorry to hear that, pretty sure crime is rising across the board as mentioned previously.

Nothing novel about this type of crime I'm afraid :( years ago I witnessed a group of kids running down a city centre street in Liverpool, smashing all side mirrors as they ran, and laughing their heads off.

56 minutes ago, onlyme said:

I would have thought scrappy for the replacement side windows and small garage/mechanic that does bodywork repairs as well as the usual repairs - they get pretty practiced at stripping down doors and should be able to do it reasonably quickly.

+1

I once had a side window smashed by someone who rifled the inside of the car for anything valuable. Luckily I'd already found a friendly independent mechanic and the damage was quickly fixed. It's a real pain to find a good mechanic, but once you've found one, hold on to them!

I had my wing mirror smashed , along with my neighbours, but someone one night. I was told it was 'one of those twins from up the road' but because I don't know which one did it, I left it alone. Still feel like slapping them when I see them, but I don't want to get the wrong one :P

The only time I saw something like that (literally dozens of cars with smashed windows) it was football hooligans along the route to the ground - on that occasion it was likely the away fans.

Political protesters often do something similar but usually worse.

Edited by twocents

2 hours ago, JackieO said:

Our question is:

Autoglass?  At least worth an enquiry.  Some might only do windscreens?

Edited by twocents

Assuming it's not a brand new or particularly rare car, the window glass should cost 15-30 quid from a breakers. Shouldn't be more than an hour or so labour to fit. I've done a couple myself (Mk1 Renault Clio and Mk3 Ford Mondeo) and managed it no bother, but if you're paying a backstreet garage, maybe 30 quid. One of the breakers I bought the glass from had a lad who did them for 20 quid a pop after work, but I figured I'd just have a go myself. Chances are if you google there'll be a youtube video or forum post showing how it's done on your model of car.

If it's the front or rear screen, then go via your insurer- as mentioned, windscreens are usually covered on fully comp insurance without affecting your NCB, I don't know about windows. Worth checking.

Edited by Rave

Windscreen replacement outfit usual suspects will do it no trouble might be less than the insurance excess. Ring around for quotes as it is very competitive. I wouldn’t think the saving would be enough to be worth the bother of sourcing one from a breakers and then somewhere to do it compared with someone coming to you in a van and doing it there and then.

My local mechanic makes a lot of money every new Uni term in Swansea due to students going out drunk the first few weeks they are in uni - fresher's week - and returning home they decide to kick off car door mirrors. IIRC 92 was his record replacements for just one week.

Sorry to hear of your woes JackieO.

Many thanks everyone for your advice!!

The broken window was kept together with sticky backed plastic on both sides with duct tape on the edges.

Tomorrow  I'll drop the car off a a garage 5 minutes walk away and get them to source and fit a second hand replacement.

20 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Sorry to hear of your woes JackieO.

No worries I'm good thanks :)

On 16/12/2017 at 19:26, Malthus said:

Fully comp insurance should cover that , depends on your excess and no claims protection if it will cost loads 

It would almost certainly be cheaper to get it done privately.  They'll sneak up the premiums for years to come if you claim.

Consider insurance as being for the big stuff (right-off, etc).

This doesn't seem right/fair, but it is the system we've got now.

57 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Many thanks everyone for your advice!!

The broken window was kept together with sticky backed plastic on both sides with duct tape on the edges.

Tomorrow  I'll drop the car off a a garage 5 minutes walk away and get them to source and fit a second hand replacement.

No worries I'm good thanks :)

It`s well worth ringing the likes of auto glass ,it`s surprising how cheap glass can be even from a main stealer 

23 hours ago, Reebo said:

I had my wing mirror smashed , along with my neighbours, but someone one night. I was told it was 'one of those twins from up the road' but because I don't know which one did it, I left it alone. Still feel like slapping them when I see them, but I don't want to get the wrong one :P

Stop one of them and ask him the logic puzzle question "If you were your twin would you admit to smashing my wing mirror", and then slap him anyway!

Edited by sleepwello'nights

1 hour ago, Napoleon Dynamite said:

Debbie Hamer commented: “They know they can do whatever they want. No one dare challenge them for fear of reprisals and the police are just too busy dealing with more serious crimes people sharing photos. This area is definitely getting worse.”

Edited by twocents

9 hours ago, Napoleon Dynamite said:

Yep.

Though the number of cars damaged is much more than the 15 reported in the article.

We were parked about five minutes walk away from the high street JFK counted 16 damaged cars on the square we were parked on alone.

30 odd years ago on a Saturday morning  my neighbour (male and burly)  knocked on my door and handed me my car wing mirror, He said he had seen  the guy who had ripped it off, apprehended him and after a word or two this guy had promised he would be along at mid day to give me the money for its repair/replacement.

I thanked my neighbour but being hung over after a boozy night out  I went back to bed thinking this guy wont show but sure enough at midday a bruised  teenager (similar age to me)knocked on the door and handed me £30 and apologised.

It transpires my neighbour had given this lad a good slapping , forced him to give him his name and address and said if he didnt turn up to pay for the damage he had caused  he would be coming to see him again .

Thats how you get your car repaired after mindless vandalism.

28 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Local garage have quoted  £90 parts and labour, they're repairing it tomorrow.

Autoglass' earliest appointment was Saturday! O.o

Just the job. Won't get much cheaper than that.

11 hours ago, JackieO said:

Yep.

Though the number of cars damaged is much more than the 15 reported in the article.

We were parked about five minutes walk away from the high street JFK counted 16 damaged cars on the square we were parked on alone.

Unfortunate to get caught up in that, glad you're getting it sorted for a decent price though.

I grew up there and lived there for a good 25/30 years (moved to the other side of Stockport in 2006) parents and brother are still there.  Never heard of anything like this in the time I lived there.  Only violent crime or vandalism you'd hear of would usually be the odd isolated event around pubs at kicking out time on Friday/Saturday.

'fears of reprisals' is odd reading, making Cheadle sound like LA or something.

8 minutes ago, Napoleon Dynamite said:

Unfortunate to get caught up in that,

Really bloomin' unlucky!

We've not been shopping in Cheadle for probably a year.

We didn't want to spent a stupid amount on Christmas cards so we popped into the Card Factory on the high street.

We parked on Brooklyn Crescent because the car parks were mad busy.

I got back to the car first with our daughter-there were loads of people out talking to each other which seemed odd given that it had been so quiet when we parked.

We got in the car and then my daughter said "Mum there's glass over everything"

Then we realised loads of cars had been done too.

My other half posts as JFK on here, he counted 16 damaged cars on Brooklyn Crescent alone. So many more cars were damaged than was reported in the MEN.