• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

ccc

Italians

In Tenerife just now. Staying in an area that must be little Italy or similar.

Went to a boozer last night. Rudest cunts I've ever met. Total obnoxious fuckers.

Have I just been unlucky or are Italians generally complete arseholes ?

Opinions welcomed !! 

Just now, ccc said:

Went to a boozer last night. Rudest cunts I've ever met. Total obnoxious fuckers.

Opinions welcomed !! 

How hairy/blonde were they?

27 minutes ago, ccc said:

Opinions welcomed !! 

They might be Spanish?

28 minutes ago, ccc said:

Opinions welcomed !! 

Found them to be really nice in Italy 

maybe they lose the plot on holiday 😜

3 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

They might be Spanish?

No !! I'm quite dumb but not that much. It's full on espresso cafes here with Italian flags and all. 

I can tell the language difference easily. 

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

The only people I've been tempted to twat on holidays have been Russians; I think only the rich get to holiday abroad and they assume everyone else is a wothless peasant as is the case at home.

Yep them and the Chinese. Horrendously rude. 

2 minutes ago, ccc said:

No !! I'm quite dumb but not that much. It's full on espresso cafes here with Italian flags and all. 

I can tell the language difference easily. 

Yep them and the Chinese. Horrendously rude. 

Not to mention the French, and Germans tend to be quite arrogant when they're not in Germany.

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Not to mention the French, and Germans tend to be quite arrogant when they're not in Germany.

I quite like Germans abroad :ph34r:

French ? Actually seem very nice aside from the Parisians. I've actually had a few in the Alps telling me they can't stand them. :o

45 minutes ago, ccc said:

Opinions welcomed !! 

I worked for ENI for 3 years and your observations are spot on.

Why is Italy shaped like a Boot?

You would never get that much shit in a shoe.

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I worked for ENI for 3 years and your observations are spot on.

Why is Italy shaped like a Boot?

You would never get that much shit in a shoe.

ENI ? 

German's pretending to be Italians.  Having a joke at the Italians and the rest of europe being swamped by illegals after Merkel's latest blitzkrieg policies.

Edited by twocents

47 minutes ago, ccc said:

Opinions welcomed !! 

Can be, like most cultures. I got annoyed with some young Italian woman on a bus in south London. She was sat at the front upstairs and had her feet up on the front. She was pretty much shouting into her phone, having a very animated conversation with someone. 

I have an Italian friend who is a bit like the guy on the train in the film, Eurotrip. 

He told me a story about some of his friends who were singing a football chant in their hotel room (something like "Everybody on the curve shout"). Unfortunately the Italian word for curve is "curva" and the Polish guys above their room thought they were taking the piss and came down to sort them out. 

2 hours ago, ccc said:

Opinions welcomed !! 

French Canadians have the same effect on me

This is not a generalisation.

3 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Funnily enough, foreign folk abroad tend to see Brits and Germans as being fundamentally quite similar.

The Canaries are suffering a bit of an immigration surge from Italians, and not the best Italians. According to the locals in Fuerte, they are the scum, dolies (think Eyeties can draw benefits abroad if they're cunning) and dodgy mafia offshoots, they are very unpopular as they've piled in and the young can't afford to rent anything on the low local wages any more.  Sound familiar? 

5 hours ago, dgul said:

Funnily enough, foreign folk abroad tend to see Brits and Germans as being fundamentally quite similar.

Brits abroad are often obnoxious, much worse than most Germans in my experience.

I've never been to Italy, actually, I'd like to hear from anyone who has, to see if my instincts are right, but I don't think they're any more 'rude' than anyone else.

They do have that "Latin-spirited" temperament that means they can "blow up" quite quickly, although I'm used to this since it's common to the county in which I grew up (Essex). This may make is appear so.

They still place a great deal of value on family and, for example, eating together; they're obsessed with good quality food albeit from a quite limited static menu that changes little over the years and can spend much of the afternoon thinking about the evening meal; they expect and demand a degree of loyalty and are less cynical than we are and they are much more open ("heart on sleeve")  about their emotions.

Hence (it seems to be a little less true today) their TV shows inevitably have the man pursuing the love of the woman (the "bella donna") and having lots of little spats falling out with each other because they're so demanding and easily hurt. Even if it has nothing to do with the plot. It gets a bit tiresome.

They are more "cultured" than we are (Shakespeare fell in love with this) and their music lyrics are rather like poetry, rather "metaphor" based. The language is difficult to pronounce and to hear and understand until you get much more used to it. They speak incredibly quickly because the language is full of vowel sounds - the spoken language is like the verbal equivalent of joined-up writing. And the language and accents are so strongly pronounced that those in the far North may not actually be able to understand those in the far South. It isn't just foreigners that struggle.

They make much better music than we do.

They're surprisingly influential in the world - good at fashion and supercars, for instance. Things that "drive the emotions".

On the other hand, on certain things like acceptance of homosexuality they seem to be about where we were in circa 1989.

Planning on visiting next year so I'll see how true this all is, it's just what I detect from afar.

52 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I've never been to Italy, actually, I'd like to hear from anyone who has, to see if my instincts are right, but I don't think they're any more 'rude' than anyone else.

They do have that "Latin-spirited" temperament that means they can "blow up" quite quickly, although I'm used to this since it's common to the county in which I grew up (Essex). This may make is appear so.

They still place a great deal of value on family and, for example, eating together; they're obsessed with good quality food albeit from a quite limited static menu that changes little over the years and can spend much of the afternoon thinking about the evening meal; they expect and demand a degree of loyalty and are less cynical than we are and they are much more open ("heart on sleeve")  about their emotions.

Hence (it seems to be a little less true today) their TV shows inevitably have the man pursuing the love of the woman (the "bella donna") and having lots of little spats falling out with each other because they're so demanding and easily hurt. Even if it has nothing to do with the plot. It gets a bit tiresome.

They are more "cultured" than we are (Shakespeare fell in love with this) and their music lyrics are rather like poetry, rather "metaphor" based. The language is difficult to pronounce and to hear and understand until you get much more used to it. They speak incredibly quickly because the language is full of vowel sounds - the spoken language is like the verbal equivalent of joined-up writing. And the language and accents are so strongly pronounced that those in the far North may not actually be able to understand those in the far South. It isn't just foreigners that struggle.

They make much better music than we do.

They're surprisingly influential in the world - good at fashion and supercars, for instance. Things that "drive the emotions".

On the other hand, on certain things like acceptance of homosexuality they seem to be about where we were in circa 1989.

Planning on visiting next year so I'll see how true this all is, it's just what I detect from afar.

AH, you've been overwhelm;med by the hype.

Historically, Italy was one of Europes most developed region.

However, due to the way Italy developed - cities/regional - theres limited commonality between the areas. The modern Italian language whihc, to be honest, would make an ideal European language, was designed to try an unify a number of city and region powers into a country. Did not succeed.

Italians from different areas are very different. Mrs spy is northern - Italian/French speaking. She regards everything below Milan as African - I would guess this is where CCC happy campers are from. She also regards everything in Milan as lazy + corrupt and the Vatican as a bunch of corrupt kiddy fiddlers. 

Mrs Spy's Itlalian BFF is from the NW - the german speaking bit. She regards all other Italians as lazy and corrupt, including Mrs spy.

The richer Italians dont tend to do cheap holidays. They like city/shopping breaks - NY, London.

Have plenty of business dealings with Italians and not very keen can be fairly arrogant and offhand. Of all the nationalities the best business people to deal with I find are Israelis, South Koreans and Canadians - oddly Israeli businesses are better to deal with than Jewish owned British or American businesses. Germans are ok but the cliche of being unbending of the rules still holds but at least you know where you are with them.

Edited by SNACR

1 hour ago, DTMark said:

Hence (it seems to be a little less true today) their TV shows inevitably have the man pursuing the love of the woman (the "bella donna") and having lots of little spats falling out with each other because they're so demanding and easily hurt. 

They are more "cultured" than we are (Shakespeare fell in love with this) and their music lyrics are rather like poetry, rather "metaphor" based. 

The impressions you've picked up resonate with me. My mother was Italian and typically volatile, she became less so when she reached her 80s, until them she could be very fiery and excitable.

From friends and relatives I've met in Italy the family is definitely matriarchal. The woman rules the house. My mother came from Northern Italy, she looked down on those from the south and the Milanese, well they were just pigs. This seems to be their class system, nothing to do with occupation or wealth, just location. 

Sure they are a very stylish people and lead the world in fashion and design as you say. 

I did consider spending a few months each year in Italy. Having driven there earlier this year I realise I'm not temperamentally suited to their driving habits, most of them drive like me. It doesn't take much to upset a driver, and then..... I got tailgated twice on the autostrada, and I was travelling at over 200 kph and it wasn't as if it was empty. Part of being demanding and easily hurt I guess. 

Edited by sleepwello'nights
Proof reading