• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

foodbank running short of

http://foodbankapp.co.uk/app/shoppingList/page/Oldham Foodbank?t=1&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&refsrc=email&iid=e4d55b85c10549dda404cca952629220&uid=960054438&nid=244+272699400

Short of various things. think it's an interesting idea and useful if you want to donate.

but shopping bags? an opportunity for a company to have some printed or made and give them out?

13 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

^^ short of stock is "tinned halal meat"...

That's why I don't give to a lot of charities... I don't mind helping brits out but I'm not giving cash to migrants...

Or support animal cruelty.

They can do one.

Does anyone wonder why people don’t take the food bank issue seriously anymore. Well the So-Called BBC gave one great example today on the Victoria Derbyshire show. They wheeled out 3 fat people to talk about starvation, yes you couldn’t make this up.

The Victoria Derbyshire program on the So-Called BBC has long been known for its crazy left wing views, or more accurately – just crazy views. Victoria Derbyshire herself isn’t living in the real world either, we’d put it down to too much medication and were cutting her some slack but she’s off the chart now.

Fucking BBC again! xD

Anyway, today she hit a record low. Her show invited on 3 people to talk about the issue of food banks and how people go hungry. These weren’t three people that looked like they had just survived Auschwitz. These people looked like they’d just been released from a 4 year sentence at HMP Pizza Hut.

f7abac252ae5ed68121b92ba7a669d87_XL.jpg.4b42afe424b9fb6dfba92a139cd63e8f.jpg

41 minutes ago, XswampyX said:

Fucking BBC again! xD

f7abac252ae5ed68121b92ba7a669d87_XL.jpg.4b42afe424b9fb6dfba92a139cd63e8f.jpg

Thats BS.

Mate worked at Trussell trust. It was the same 10-15 people turning up everyweek.

He resigned after 2 weeks, disgusted with it.

Easy proven. Make a story up, kick off and youll get a box of food.

Modern day peasants need educating in the medievel practice of making pottage, after all if you live in the temperate north you need a sustainable diet made from local food sources not stuff air-freighted in from another culture half-way round the world. If they could survive on this in medievel times I'm sure you can very healthily in the 21st century.

8 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Modern day peasants need educating in the medievel practice of making pottage, after all if you live in the temperate north you need a sustainable diet made from local food sources not stuff air-freighted in from another culture half-way round the world. If they could survive on this in medievel times I'm sure you can very healthily in the 21st century.

Pressure cooker.

Washed spli peas, dried beans (soaked), pearl barley.

Market onions, carrots, cabbage.

Two bulbs of barley.

Knorr veg stock cube.

Oil.

3 pints of stock water.

In pressure cooker on low for 90m.

Sorted.

I live in days on that.

Cost - about £4 for about 6 meals.

The choice of things on that list is very odd.

I think I only have about 6 or seven of those items in my cupboards.

I understand rice, pasta, tinned fish and tomatoes but sponge pudding and  pasta sauce?

Not exactly essential or healthy.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Had to look for this item, looks like it wont fit in my pressure/slow cooker though.

Google wasn't much help.....

5a36a8516ac2b_Screenshot-2017-12-17bulbsofbarley-GoogleSearch.png.ef9f172fb768792c40a09d8687f6bfc5.png

Garlic. Pearl barley.

Youre not getting my full stone soup recipe

24 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Same here. I used to always put money in the local Salvation Army tin but no longer do it since I found out they were supporting migrants. Charity begins at home!

These days I only give to local causes to help specific individuals or try and help people directly if I can. I do buy out of charity shops though because I can get very low priced decent stuff from them.

Until charities stop paying massive salaries at the top and using unpaid volunteers and/or chuggers at the bottom I’ll be giving them nothing. It’s very common to see signs in charity shops asking for volunteers and often they’re closed for a day through lack of volunteers.

On a completely different track to the food banks, my mate has been doing some fundraising for the local hospice. Apparently they are well down on donations. Not a clue why.  I would guess it is either people are skint, people are fed up with charitee, or, the big boys are muscling out the local independent ones. 

Just now, One percent said:

On a completely different track to the food banks, my mate has been doing some fundraising for the local hospice. Apparently they are well down on donations. Not a clue why.  I would guess it is either people are skint, people are fed up with charitee, or, the big boys are muscling out the local independent ones. 

I would guess that the three reasons you state contribute to why charity donations are down. I’ve not seen anything recently but for a while there were lots of stories in MSM about charity donations reducing. I can’t see any reasons why they would increase?

Most people I know are whingeing, rightly IMO, that their incomes have stagnated. Also many are concerned about the future mainly for the young people in their families. I guess there’s in general a lot of belt tightening and cutting back going on. 

3 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I would guess that the three reasons you state contribute to why charity donations are down. I’ve not seen anything recently but for a while there were lots of stories in MSM about charity donations reducing. I can’t see any reasons why they would increase?

Most people I know are whingeing, rightly IMO, that their incomes have stagnated. Also many are concerned about the future mainly for the young people in their families. I guess there’s in general a lot of belt tightening and cutting back going on. 

The UK is certainly suffering stagflation and the US is probably in the same position.

Between charity bosses earning fortunes and often the roles being taken by people politically active - i.e licking up to politicians or being ex-politicians - I think people have begun to see that they are huge cons. The ones that purport to be helping people in the Third World are increasingly seen as pro-islamic migrants charties I suspect so why give them money.

In the case of hospices it has been a thought on my mind for a few years now whether some hospices might have become a kind of private hospital for terminally ill well-connected people. I have been reluctant to suggest this - and am so now - but it is food for thought I think.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The UK is certainly suffering stagflation and the US is probably in the same position.

Between charity bosses earning fortunes and often the roles being taken by people politically active - i.e licking up to politicians or being ex-politicians - I think people have begun to see that they are huge cons. The ones that purport to be helping people in the Third World are increasingly seen as pro-islamic migrants charties I suspect so why give them money.

In the case of hospices it has been a thought on my mind for a few years now whether some hospices might have become a kind of private hospital for terminally ill well-connected people. I have been reluctant to suggest this - and am so now - but it is food for thought I think.

Agree with first two paragraphs.

Regarding third paragraph, sadly you may well be right there.

I have an acquaintance who until recently worked for NHS looking after terminal cancer patients. Person was disgusted by cutbacks to cancer care and said more and more people were being left to die at home when they’d be more comfortable in a hospice. Fewer hospice places around here now but person said very well off and well connected people were more likely to get into one!