• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

metal detecting

Have vague interest in it, but have no detector. 
Someone we know has a huge collection and has sold a detector to a mutual friend who has gone out this weekend with a rally somewhere near where I was bought up.

So who is involved in this hobby?

I used to do it.  Found loads of stuff from Roman to Silver hammered coins, crotal bells, old buckles, musket balls  etc etc. And loads of  spent shotgun cartridges.

My kids took the piss out of me until I found a gold half noble of Richard 3rd.

Then I suddenly got bored with it and stopped. Finding land is not easy either. 

What's interesting is that you find the same sort of objects wherever you search,  and your knowledge of history quickly improves.

My friend who detects came over and I showed him the box of crap I've dug up off the allotment.
He told me the little green frog is probably 20s-30s rather than 70s.
He spotted the bit of flint that isn't native. tiny bit really.
He ID'd the address on the bottle fragment, told me it was probably a spirit flagon.
Explained the cutlery after I'd mentioned it had pig pens on it before the estate got built. 
The funny almost glass bead is from the end of a cotton bobbin holder thing.
Pointed out the design on the clay pipe is union of britain.
The thing I'd thought was a nail varnish bottle (And kept anyway even though it's sharp edges!) is something teething powders.

2017-12-24 13.16.37.jpg

2017-12-24_13_17_26.jpg

2017-12-24_13_17_48.jpg

2017-12-24_13_18_12.jpg

2017-12-24 13.20.04.jpg

Saw some detectorists on a stall a few years back and remembered to ask them about something I dug up in my garden when I was ten, reburied after I threw it against a wall to see what would happen. They rolled their eyes, it was a WW2 German bomb.

I like the idea of it.  I have a theory you might be able to stave off the feeling of silliness by bringing along a child.

On 12/17/2017 at 17:13, Fully Detached said:

Same here. I even have my own land to do it on but its bordered by roads on two sides and there are lots of passing dog walkers. 

You're worried about the dogs setting off the detector and giving you false readings?

Preston_cyborg.jpg

12 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I don't need dogs to do that. I'm ashamed to admit I once went out in steel toe-cap boots. I left little holes everywhere and didn't find jack shit.

Did exactly the same whilst gold prospecting in Australia. Kept getting loud signals every other step. Stop dig hole - nothing.  Only twigged that it was my steelies after noticing that the holes were very evenly spaced.

8 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

Did exactly the same whilst gold prospecting in Australia. Kept getting loud signals every other step. Stop dig hole - nothing.  Only twigged that it was my steelies after noticing that the holes were very evenly spaced.

Yes, took me quite a while to realise as well. I mean, you'd think they were practical footwear, wouldn't you?