• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
blobloblob

Cliché synonyms for the educated

A long time ago I took the trouble to find an alternative for the phrase "dumbed down" as it is, in itself, dumbed down. I find "intellectually diminished" does the job just fine, and of course for "dumbing down" you can use "intellectual diminution".

In order to attain my goal of appearing more of a smart arse in other situations, I would like to compile a list of intellectual synonyms to replace lazy clichés. If any of you can help, please post them below. Firstly, I am especially keen to find an alternative to "no brainer"; the cleverer the better.

13 hours ago, blobloblob said:

A long time ago I took the trouble to find an alternative for the phrase "dumbed down" as it is, in itself, dumbed down. I find "intellectually diminished" does the job just fine, and of course for "dumbing down" you can use "intellectual diminution".

In order to attain my goal of appearing more of a smart arse in other situations, I would like to compile a list of intellectual synonyms to replace lazy clichés. If any of you can help, please post them below. Firstly, I am especially keen to find an alternative to "no brainer"; the cleverer the better.

I'm struggling with no-brainer as that describes  the 'obvious' or 'intellegent' thing to do, i'e' you don't need a brain to make that decision. So, far from stupid. So, I'd go with:

Innate,

Which is probably not as clever as you wanted!

16 hours ago, blobloblob said:

Dull headed, or broken headed? 

Some people are just dumb (dull headed), most are dumbed down (broken headed).

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding the word "people"

16 hours ago, blobloblob said:

Can you explain what you’re on about in simpler terms please?