• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Soylent green in Birmingham

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5187761/Council-water-cremate-bodies-flush-remains.html

A council has plans to allow people to dispose of loved ones' bodies through water cremation, a new and environmentally friendly way to get rid of human remains.

The process involves putting a body is put into a steel vat with an alkaline solution that accelerates the natural breakdown of the body, turning all but the bones into liquid that gets poured down the drain.

Sandwell metropolitan borough council, near Birmingham, hopes to become the first in the UK to use the cremation technique, which is already used in parts of Canada and the United States. 

I guess if we keep importing people, we need to come up with innovative ways of getting rid of them when dead. 

I don't fancy being flushed down the loo.  Feels a tad undignified. 

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I believe this method was devised, tested but unfortunately not patented by a certain John Chrisite of 10 Rillington Place, Notting Hill, London.

He was quite successful too I understand. 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5187761/Council-water-cremate-bodies-flush-remains.html

A council has plans to allow people to dispose of loved ones' bodies through water cremation, a new and environmentally friendly way to get rid of human remains.

The process involves putting a body is put into a steel vat with an alkaline solution that accelerates the natural breakdown of the body, turning all but the bones into liquid that gets poured down the drain.

Sandwell metropolitan borough council, near Birmingham, hopes to become the first in the UK to use the cremation technique, which is already used in parts of Canada and the United States. 

I guess if we keep importing people, we need to come up with innovative ways of getting rid of them when dead. 

I don't fancy being flushed down the loo.  Feels a tad undignified. 

I’m not bothered how my body is disposed of. The above sounds ok to me.

I joked to my son and daughter that if I die in hospital they should just say they’re estranged from me and refuse to deal with my body so I don’t have to pay for my funeral. In reality it would be claimed from my estate but I love to think about having the last laugh that the government would have to pay to dispose of me. Yes, I know it would be taxpayers so that spoils the fun of the idea!

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

I want a sky burial but I doubt I'll get one. Failing that, being mulched and used to fertilize some plants would be fine. I'm not at all keen on being flushed down the bog though.

I was witness to someone who had their ashes sent up in a firework/rocket.

I think funeral directors have a monopoly and are surviving because employing them is the done thing and little other option to pay their extortionate prices. They prey on people’s grief and charge a great deal for “professional” services. Having seen two detailed funeral bills they didn’t do anything I or any competent person could do themselves. Can’t be arsed looking for the link but the funeral director gang have been lobbying for legislation to disallow plebs arranging a cremation themselves. Are they seeing the writing on the wall?

For some time I’ve thought that offering cut price funerals would be a winner. People would have to have no coffin at the funeral for my idea. Direct disposal!

All you need is a van to collect the body. Arrange and drop body off for cremation. Add to that a compassionate stance and willingness to help family find a suitable way to commemorate their loved one for a fee.

Family could hold a memorial service of their choosing anywhere. Beach? Favourite haunt of loved one? At home? There are many possibilities.

Would definitely cost a lot less than a funeral director charges!

Edited by Economic Exile

3 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I think funeral directors have a monopoly and are surviving because employing them is the done thing and little other option to pay their extortionate prices. They prey on people’s grief and charge a great deal for “professional” services. Having seen two detailed funeral bills they didn’t do anything I or any competent person could do themselves. Can’t be arsed looking for the link but the funeral director gang have been lobbying for legislation to disallow plebs arranging a cremation themselves. Are they seeing the writing on the wall?

For some time I’ve thought that offering cut price funerals would be a winner. People would have to have no coffin at the funeral for my idea. Direct disposal!

All you need is a van to collect the body. Arrange and drop body off for cremation. Add to that a compassionate stance and willingness to help family find a suitable way to commemorate their loved one for a fee.

Family could hold a memorial service of their choosing anywhere. Beach? Favourite haunt of loved one? At home? There are many possibilities.

It is certainly a growing industry. o.O

You can still visit where ashes are scattered if you want to.  It's still environmentally friendly.

You can't really say the same when fluids are just flushed down the drain. 

It seems to be reminiscent of something the nazis would have done. 

It is an evil world.

Edited by twocents

5 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I think the problem is that the body needs to be held in controlled conditions until such time as arrangements can be made and there's no chance of coroner examination and for that you need a morgue. Now if crematoriums set up their own morgue facilities then maybe could work.

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

I think the problem is that the body needs to be held in controlled conditions until such time as arrangements can be made and there's no chance of coroner examination and for that you need a morgue. Now if crematoriums set up their own morgue facilities then maybe could work.

I don’t see morgue facilities in general as a problem to my idea.The funeral directors around here aren’t high tech. They’ll only have the deceased on their premises after released from post mortem or whatever other requirement is deemed by law.

If death certificate is signed with no ado all that’s required is to seal the corpse in a container.

Direct disposal would be the same IMO. Body sealed, cremation booked. Job done!

17 minutes ago, twocents said:

You can still visit where ashes are scattered if you want to.  It's still environmentally friendly.

You can't really say the same when fluids are just flushed down the drain. 

It seems to be reminiscent of something the nazis would have done. 

It is an evil world.

It does feel like another part of the coming dystopia.

2 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

I don’t see morgue facilities in general as a problem to my idea.The funeral directors around here aren’t high tech. They’ll only have the deceased on their premises after released from post mortem or whatever other requirement is deemed by law.

If death certificate is signed with no ado all that’s required is to seal the corpse in a container.

Direct disposal would be the same IMO. Body sealed, cremation booked. Job done!

Having worked in a hospital mortuary years ago basically all you need is a big fridge.

I would have liked to have had my mortal remains mechanically remaindered and served up in meat pies in the Civil Service canteen where I worked may years ago but the bastards in government shut it. I don't know why you can't donate your body to be turned into pet food which would at least put it to some use. I would actually opt for excarnation given a choice  like the Parsees but sadly both they and the vultures that used to dine on their remains are in decline

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2015/04/vultures-fate-parsi-sky-burials-uncertain-150401063720435.html

5 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

I believe this method was devised, tested but unfortunately not patented by a certain John Chrisite of 10 Rillington Place, Notting Hill, London.

You are thinking of John George Haigh, the Acid Bath murderer

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_George_Haigh

Christie just stuffed his victims under the floor boards or behind an alcove partition.

8 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Having worked in a hospital mortuary years ago basically all you need is a big fridge.

I would have liked to have had my mortal remains mechanically remaindered and served up in meat pies in the Civil Service canteen where I worked may years ago but the bastards in government shut it. I don't know why you can't donate your body to be turned into pet food which would at least put it to some use. I would actually opt for excarnation given a choice  like the Parsees but sadly both they and the vultures that used to dine on their remains are in decline

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2015/04/vultures-fate-parsi-sky-burials-uncertain-150401063720435.html

Interesting link about a dying community related to obliterated wildlife. I wouldn’t mind my corpse being devoured by wildlife either or being processed for pet food 

I particularly like your thoughts of being served in pies at the works canteen!. That really floats my boat. Sweet!