• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spunko2010

Ripoff Christmas Shitholes - annual thread

My parents drive over to Bangor to walk along the sea/by the marina at least once a week. There's nice views and all that, but economically the towns fucked - there's a shopping mall on the main street that's like a ghost town when you go in, only a couple of shops remaining and one of them's a poundstretcher. Main street is mostly coffee shops and charity shops.

Lots of boats parked in the marina but you never actually see anyone out in them.

There's a woman in the article who paid £147 to go  there, booked the tickets in JULY and drove from Moneyreagh Co.Down which is about 20miles away. 

Another person paid £50 for his family to go there. 

WTF is wrong with these people???

16 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

My parents drive over to Bangor to walk along the sea/by the marina at least once a week. There's nice views and all that, but economically the towns fucked - there's a shopping mall on the main street that's like a ghost town when you go in, only a couple of shops remaining and one of them's a poundstretcher. Main street is mostly coffee shops and charity shops.

Lots of boats parked in the marina but you never actually see anyone out in them.

So, you didnt have a lovely time then?

Im not sure where this 'build a marina and they'll come' thing comes from - doddery Councillors watching Canne on the telly.

Rather than getting an influx of billionaire playboys, all that wash up and tiny plastic boats that suck all the cash out of the owner. I see them in coop buying the cheap shit to take back to their boat.

Just now, spygirl said:

Im not sure where this 'build a marina and they'll come' thing comes from - doddery Councillors watching Canne on the telly.

Rather than getting an influx of billionaire playboys, all that wash up and tiny plastic boats that suck all the cash out of the owner. I see them in coop buying the cheap shit to take back to their boat.

When will council types realise that nobody with a luxury yacht wants to go anywhere north of the French Riviera unless it's Cowes Week or possibly Dartmouth Regatta?

How many multi millionaire types say 'I know where we should go - Bangor County Down!' and then push the big lever forward on their floating gin palace to accelerate out of Monaco harbour.

19 minutes ago, spygirl said:

It's a nice walk along the coast, but the street facing the marina has a huge derelict hotel and a chav-infested slot machine place facing it - it's not exactly Monaco.

EDIT: feel free to take a virtual walk along the aformentioned street:

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.663807,-5.667519,51.93h,-0.93p,1z

Edited by JoeDavola

39 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Do they still have a lovely time?

Just now, SNACR said:

Do they still have a lovely time?

They do; they're retired and they go their for a walk along the coast and a wee coffee and cake in Cafe Nero. Nothing wrong with that at all.

5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

They do; they're retired and they go their for a walk along the coast and a wee coffee and cake in Cafe Nero. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Cafe Nero, that's going to cost more than a pound.

My wife was born and brought up there, so she's known the place for >50 years, me >30.

It was a typical seaside seen better days town, with added Troubles trouble.  The sea front promenade in particular was a level of run down that had to be seen to be believed. Then the EU and Brit Govt poured Christ knows how many millions in doing it up, for instance building the aforementioned marina and shopping centre. But fundamentally its still the same place. You can pour as much money as you like into a place like this and it will only last as long as the grants and fresh coats of paint.

That said, Id be vaguely happy to retire there. I just wouldnt visit the town centre/promenade except to buy a dodgy take away.

ETA, different Bangor, BTW, SarahBell. I believe that one is in Wales. Not that that changes the economic fundamentals, just the likelihood that one of the Boys will kneecap you for looking at their girlfriend the wrong way. Plus the one in Wales probably isnt as fucking cold and wet for 9 months of the year.

Edited by Melchett

18 minutes ago, Melchett said:

My wife was born and brought up there, so she's known the place for >50 years, me >30.

It was a typical seaside seen better days town, with added Troubles trouble.  The sea front promenade in particular was a level of run down that had to be seen to be believed. Then the EU and Brit Govt poured Christ knows how many millions in doing it up, for instance building the aforementioned marina and shopping centre. But fundamentally its still the same place. You can pour as much money as you like into a place like this and it will only last as long as the grants and fresh coats of paint.

That said, Id be vaguely happy to retire there. I just wouldnt visit the town centre/promenade except to buy a dodgy take away.

ETA, different Bangor, BTW, SarahBell. I believe that one is in Wales. Not that that changes the economic fundamentals, just the likelihood that one of the Boys will kneecap you for looking at their girlfriend the wrong way. Plus the one in Wales probably isnt as fucking cold and wet for 9 months of the year.

They're currently building a couple of apartment blocks overlooking the sea on the North Down Coastal Path, the one that starts at Pickie Fun Park at the marina. The coastal path is beautiful, and the flats will probably be sold for a fortune, but as you say Bangor city centre shows you that there isn't as much money knocking about there as the boats and coastal property prices would like you to think.

The thing is, if it snowed, it looks 10x better.  Just pot luck.

476901B300000578-5188619-image-a-10_1513

So if you're going to host one, pick a town up north, north, north.

15 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

They're currently building a couple of apartment blocks overlooking the sea on the North Down Coastal Path, the one that starts at Pickie Fun Park at the marina. The coastal path is beautiful, and the flats will probably be sold for a fortune, but as you say Bangor city centre shows you that there isn't as much money knocking about there as the boats and coastal property prices would like you to think.

Vandalism...  I guess developers money talks wherever you are in the UK?

4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

It's a nice walk along the coast, but the street facing the marina has a huge derelict hotel and a chav-infested slot machine place facing it - it's not exactly Monaco.

EDIT: feel free to take a virtual walk along the aformentioned street:

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.663807,-5.667519,51.93h,-0.93p,1z

LOL! I missed your post. You nailed it.... I had my last night before getting married getting pissed and misbehaving here, with nothing but the odd passing police or army land rover. So run down even the local chavs give it a miss on a Friday night! :D

Edited by Melchett

7 minutes ago, Melchett said:

LOL! I missed your post. You nailed it.... I had my last night before getting married getting pissed and misbehaving here, with nothing but the odd passing police or army land rover. So run down even the chavs give it a miss on a Friday night! :D

Exactly.

It's kind of remarkable when you think about it - a marina with millions of pounds of boats floating in it, bolted on to dying chav seaside town with fuck all in it. Maybe it can feature in the next Bond movie;  James get's off his yacht and then moseys on over to the arcade, his tuxedo jacket full of 2p's:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by JoeDavola

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Maybe it can feature in the next Bond movie;  get's off his yacht and then moseys on over to the arcade, his tuxedo jacket full of 2p's:

You can fuck off you big puff, there ain't no baccarat in this town

10 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Exactly.

It's kind of remarkable when you think about it - a marina with millions of pounds of boats floating in it, bolted on to dying chav seaside town with fuck all in it. Maybe it can feature in the next Bond movie;  James get's off his yacht and then moseys on over to the arcade, his tuxedo jacket full of 2p's:

maxresdefault.jpg

I love those coin pushing machines, spent £4 on 2p ones yesterday with my boys!

:$

The temptation to nudge the machines is almost impossible to resist, they have alarms though, mercury switches I imagine...

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding the last paragraph

Just now, Carl Fimble said:

I love those coin pushing machines, spent £4 on 2p ones yesterday with my boys!

:$

So do I! Wish there was one near me in Belfast, unfortunately the only one I know of in the city is one of the 10p ones which is a bit too fucking rich for my liking!