• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

Very bad bosses

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

2300 Euros, that is almost exploitation, hope its not gross.

There appear to me to be very large salary differentials between different market sectors for essentially the same skillset/qualifications/ability.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the positive side, having resigned, you should be able to enjoy a week or so of post resignation satisfaction, a bit of relaxation over the Christmas period and then focus on something new in the new year? That would be my approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of an experience years ago when the senior management tried to move one of my team members to another team which was run by someone who was universally hated. The particular team member had already taken early retirement from a senior position somhad a very good pension, was highly experienced and only working for me for the shits and giggles. He said that if he was made to move, he would go.  The conversation went something like this:

big boss: tom needs to go and work for X 

me: he would rather stay with the team he is currently working with, he enjoys it and makes a great contribution 

big boss: it is not open to debate, he is moving

me: he has threatened to resign if the issue is forced

big boss: I will not allow him to resign. o.O

 

he walked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, davidg said:

My boss has decided to send me to the other side of town to work on a project. This means getting up over an hour earlier than normal and arriving home after 7pm. About an extra 12 hours a week travelling. Extra costs in transport are around 220 euros month. Lunch is in the unsubsidized  (for external people) factory canteen, 10 euros a day compared to free before. Oh an because the new firm is near the company office I lose my transport allowance. So I'm adding 12 hours a week to my work and losing 600 euros a month from a 2300 euros salary.

My boss was very surprised to receive my resignation today.

"why have you resigned"

Do you remember I told you I would resign if you sent my to work on project X?

"erm yes, but I thought it was a joke"

Not for me.

I must admit, people rarely take me seriously, I guess it is a curse, for me and them when they get a wake up call.

 

Fucking nice one. I salute you.

I bet your boss really is mystified ... he/she really can't see that by taking the piss all goodwill goes up the wall.

I hope that your boss reflects over the holiday period how they now have a project they are going to have to answer for higher up, get someone in place, hit all targets ... ah well, tough shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, One percent said:

Reminds me of an experience years ago when the senior management tried to move one of my team members to another team which was run by someone who was universally hated. The particular team member had already taken early retirement from a senior position somhad a very good pension, was highly experienced and only working for me for the shits and giggles. He said that if he was made to move, he would go.  The conversation went something like this:

big boss: tom needs to go and work for X 

me: he would rather stay with the team he is currently working with, he enjoys it and makes a great contribution 

big boss: it is not open to debate, he is moving

me: he has threatened to resign if the issue is forced

big boss: I will not allow him to resign. o.O

 

he walked. 

Always ask for a 'and if' case.

At the mo, it feels like the conomy, or at least wages / job demand has turned to the advantage of certain skills.

at a similar stage back in the mid 90s I was sat in a meeting that went 'Oh, all the software people are fungible' this after I had to bust a gut to recruit 2 people in the last 12 months. To a certain level, that claim is true. Except there are not that many software people.

So, off rolls dickhead and his fungible team. They all resigned within a week of him doing the same routine.

The compnny had a number of  very expensive SLA and deadlines to hit, with penalties.

Next weekly review - OK, are these people on 3 months notice periods> You know, the one I told you get them to sign and pay htem extra for.

No. It  was too expensive. Dont worry Ill insist they work 3 month notice rather 1 month.

How?

Ill tell them to work 3.

Or what? Theyve all resigned, you cannot sack them.

OK, I wont accept their notice letters.

etc etc etc etc.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Yip better for both parties, however the current fad is for performance reviews, grievances and court cases 

I have a feeling that good jobs are hard to come by because they are already occupied by old incompetent people that refuse to budge.

Our very strict employment regulations actually constipate the system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Always ask for a 'and if' case.

At the mo, it feels like the conomy, or at least wages / job demand has turned to the advantage of certain skills.

at a similar stage back in the mid 90s I was sat in a meeting that went 'Oh, all the software people are fungible' this after I had to bust a gut to recruit 2 people in the last 12 months. To a certain level, that claim is true. Except there are not that many software people.

So, off rolls dickhead and his fungible team. They all resigned within a week of him doing the same routine.

The compnny had a number of  very expensive SLA and deadlines to hit, with penalties.

Next weekly review - OK, are these people on 3 months notice periods> You know, the one I told you get them to sign and pay htem extra for.

No. It  was too expensive. Dont worry Ill insist they work 3 month notice rather 1 month.

How?

Ill tell them to work 3.

Or what? Theyve all resigned, you cannot sack them.

OK, I wont accept their notice letters.

etc etc etc etc.

 

 

 

^^^^ this. 

They really think they have bought employees body and soul. I will resign just does not compute. Delusions of grandeur, or just plain vanilla delusional. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I have a feeling that good jobs are hard to come by because they are already occupied by old incompetent people that refuse to budge.

Our very strict employment regulations actually constipate the system.

Whell what else is going to fucking (excuse the French) happen when the government moves the retirement age to 67?  What is the option for the poor saps (like me) who were told that if they gave up a good proportion of their salary, they could retire at 55. 

Unintended consequences again   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One percent said:

^^^^ this. 

They really think they have bought employees body and soul. I will resign just does not compute. Delusions of grandeur, or just plain vanilla delusional. 

This company used to have monthly contingency meetings. Planning how to they could disruptions to the org and disaster planning.

All the managers would go off for a day a month and present on on ideas - no more than 2 people on the same plane, no more than 2 in a dangerous country etc etc. Thats sort of stuff.

I went to one in my last few months.

Whay happens if the people doing the work,, you know the ones doing the stuff youve signed a hefty contract for, walk out?

The problem is that most management books and theory are based on manmagers being like these super smart people and the workers some sort of mindless pleb.

Now that works when you are dealing with MaccDs or the relay primitive manufacturing jobs. But even these days most production jobs nned the employee to be literate and follow complex procedures.

In this case, most of the software people needed about 4 years degree + 6 years work skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect there'll be another media headline soon expressing puzzlement about low productivity.

I expect they'll just print the productivity off.

Edited by twocents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

This company used to have monthly contingency meetings. Planning how to they could disruptions to the org and disaster planning.

All the managers would go off for a day a month and present on on ideas - no more than 2 people on the same plane, no more than 2 in a dangerous country etc etc. Thats sort of stuff.

I went to one in my last few months.

Whay happens if the people doing the work,, you know the ones doing the stuff youve signed a hefty contract for, walk out?

The problem is that most management books and theory are based on manmagers being like these super smart people and the workers some sort of mindless pleb.

Now that works when you are dealing with MaccDs or the relay primitive manufacturing jobs. But even these days most production jobs nned the employee to be literate and follow complex procedures.

In this case, most of the software people needed about 4 years degree + 6 years work skills.

And yet they still treatbstaff as if they are sheep,to be herded. xDO.o

idiots and loons running most organisations. 

I was in a meeting the other week when management were trying to bully us all into doing far more work, on a permanent basis, than what had been agreed with the unions. 

The anger rolling off them was something to behold. Complete contempt  they had for us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

There is nothing better than shutting the bosses door (after the wealth creators have resigned in unison) and listening to the wanker smashing up his office! We planned our escape over a five-month period and it was sheer perfection.

👍 out of reps. 

Facinating. My team did similar. It sadly didn't end (as far as I know) with the boss smashing up her office.  Would enjoy hearing the finer details 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, One percent said:

👍 out of reps. 

Facinating. My team did similar. It sadly didn't end (as far as I know) with the boss smashing up her office.  Would enjoy hearing the finer details 

I worked for a small company but the owner sold it to an ex Experian 'trouble-shooter' who was an absolute psycho!

Edit: My colleagues set up their own company and took the clients. I set up my own company and built my own client base - that was 16 years ago in May and I'm still in business :-)

Edited by OurDayWillCome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

I worked for a small company but the owner sold it to an ex Experian 'trouble-shooter' who was an absolute psycho!

Ah, familiar. We have one, just the one who is behind all the pain that is inflicted on my team. 

The organisation had a recent survey of staff wellbeing and job satisfaction. People obviously told it how they saw it as they have now instigated a massive programme of anti bullying and harassment. xD

sadly, they know where the problem is but will not deal with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

2300 Euros, that is almost exploitation, hope its not gross.

Net[1], I get 200 euro travel costs on top, except not at the new site coz it is next to work's office.

I have another job to go to, one of my company's clients that I previously worked for, they want to cut my company out of the loop. So it is a bit of a double Christmas whammy for da Boss.

 

[1] after social security which is around 21%, I have to pay tax on that though and because the wife has a fat salary I end up paying 30% on part of that!

Edited by davidg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between 2001 and 2003 I worked for a very obnoxious married couple in a small office. The husband was called Richard but preferred to be called 'Dick'. Quite apt really. If he spoke to me on the phone he would just put the receiver down without as much as a 'bye' or 'thanks'.

His wife did that rapid repetitive blinking motion that very posh women do when talking at staff. Made her quite slappable. The first time I received a bollocking was on my 5th day by her for not recording an item I had taken from the stationery cupboard.

Before I started working there, the staff did not get a Xmas bonus because they had their driveway repaved instead! Incredible.

After I left and others left, their business suffered. I think the clients got sick of their arrogance. Karma!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As opposed to viewing things as oldies constipating the system, my view as an employer in the engineering and construction field is that proper skills are now in such short supply and rarely anyone under 50 has appropriate skills to manage or deliver a technical project.

I am very careful to have a very close relationships with each member of this core team of people with the skills from a time where such skills were taught properly and honed through long apprenticeships and in times when people did not just simply believe what the computer or calculator spat out.

A key part of the close relationships to develop is to enjoy the work that we do together. For that, we carefully choose clients and reject working with those clients are known for unprofessional behaviour or penny pinching attitudes.

Good luck @davidg and all the best for you in the New Year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

As opposed to viewing things as oldies constipating the system, my view as an employer in the engineering and construction field is that proper skills are now in such short supply and rarely anyone under 50 has appropriate skills to manage or deliver a technical project.

I am very careful to have a very close relationships with each member of this core team of people with the skills from a time where such skills were taught properly and honed through long apprenticeships and in times when people did not just simply believe what the computer or calculator spat out.

A key part of the close relationships to develop is to enjoy the work that we do together. For that, we carefully choose clients and reject working with those clients are known for unprofessional behaviour or penny pinching attitudes.

Good luck @davidg and all the best for you in the New Year.

This is what we have lost. That sense of expertise and (non gendered) craftsmanship. We really have hollowed out vocational education.  Largely because we don't value practical skills and see paper shuffling and pen pushing as somehow superior. 

See how far that gets you in a shtf scenario. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

As opposed to viewing things as oldies constipating the system, my view as an employer in the engineering and construction field is that proper skills are now in such short supply and rarely anyone under 50 has appropriate skills to manage or deliver a technical project.

I am very careful to have a very close relationships with each member of this core team of people with the skills from a time where such skills were taught properly and honed through long apprenticeships and in times when people did not just simply believe what the computer or calculator spat out.

A key part of the close relationships to develop is to enjoy the work that we do together. For that, we carefully choose clients and reject working with those clients are known for unprofessional behaviour or penny pinching attitudes.

Good luck @davidg and all the best for you in the New Year.

I take your point about the highly technically skilled and I have been lucky enough to employ a couple of such talented people.

My issue is with less talented middle management that are harder to shift than a bad dose of crabs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.