• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Dave Bloke

Injuns are not stupid

Just started a different project. New project manager greets me

"we heard you were good with Indian devs, worked 18 months with them already apparently"

me: well I wouldn't say I was good

"we're having a devil's job with our Bangaluru team, can't get any information out of them, we need to configure a new server but they won't tell us any details, we know they have the same setup, they say it is "difficult" and it would be easier if they set it up for us"

So I call the indians, after a bit of chat with one of the devs I get

"hah don't think we are going to roll over as easily as you guys did, let me tell you, there used to be some people in your location right who did all this stuff, 5 years ago like they were told to hand over to us as a cost cutting exercise right, we went over to work with your team to knowledge transfer right, after which they let your guys go, don't think we are going to give up the goods just like that right, we've heard talk of getting the Vietnamese to take over our role"

Edited by davidg

(giggles)

From the way you've worded it, it sounds like the Indian devs have a test environment for your kit and that's what needs reproducing. And that the configuration of that hasn't been documented anywhere internally?

If there's no in-house capability, and it's urgent, then there are a couple of steps you could suggest to get it sorted quickly.

1. Call Rackspace.
2. Hand over lots of money.

My Cousins hubby works for one of the big  banks. He Spent the last 5 years offshoring the work to Poland and other places. The bank have finally realised the service is shite so he is now onshoring it back to the UK - mainly to areas up north where labour costs are reasonably low.

7 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Nooooooooooo! 

Injin was a quality poster

He'd have people in absolute fits but his arguments were 100% consistent 100% of the time. 

I miss reading his take on the world. 

Edited by Knock Out Johnny

6 minutes ago, Knock Out Johnny said:

Injin was a quality poster

He'd have people in absolute fits but his arguments were 100% consistent 100% of the time. 

I miss reading his take on the world. 

So do I.

By the way, if the Indian team is already behaving like that to protect their jobs, your data is very probably being sold to the highest bidder.

I hope there is no PII. 

I'd recommend you report that risk to your security department, in writing, today, so that no one can blame you when the story breaks.

5 minutes ago, wherebee said:

By the way, if the Indian team is already behaving like that to protect their jobs, your data is very probably being sold to the highest bidder.

I hope there is no PII. 

I'd recommend you report that risk to your security department, in writing, today, so that no one can blame you when the story breaks.

Yup.

Wouldn't trust any company, Indian or otherwise, that has such a lack of transparency and co-operation. They're effectively holding your business to ransom.

Which serves the company right for not realizing that outsourcing isn't the money-saver that it was cur out to be...

They need to hire an utter bastard to go and make the Indian team's life hell.

On 12/18/2017 at 22:39, Kurt Barlow said:

My Cousins hubby works for one of the big  banks. He Spent the last 5 years offshoring the work to Poland and other places. The bank have finally realised the service is shite so he is now onshoring it back to the UK - mainly to areas up north where labour costs are reasonably low.

...and Northern Ireland.

Edited by JoeDavola

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yup.

Wouldn't trust any company, Indian or otherwise, that has such a lack of transparency and co-operation. They're effectively holding your business to ransom.

Which serves the company right for not realizing that outsourcing isn't the money-saver that it was cur out to be...

They need to hire an utter bastard to go and make the Indian team's life hell.

...and Northern Ireland.

I kind of like these stories. Business has shafted uk workers by looking for the cheapest solution. When it comes back and bites them on the arse, well fair play. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

I kind of like these stories. Business has shafted uk workers by looking for the cheapest solution. When it comes back and bites them on the arse, well fair play. 

It's also the fact that people greatly underestimate that good IT support/development needs good communicators with domain specific knowledge...on top of the coding skills. The people who think of us as just replaceable 'code monkeys' really devalue what we do, to their peril.

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

It's also the fact that people greatly underestimate that good IT support/development needs good communicators with domain specific knowledge...on top of the coding skills. The people who think of us as just replaceable 'code monkeys' really devalue what we do, to their peril.

Expertise is never valued by those that don't have it. They do not want to put the experts in a position of power. 

11 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Yes but by then they've moved on to another directorship and here, the talent has been lost.

11 hours ago, ashestoashes said:

my moneys on they don't have a clue how to do it themselves, nothings written down, no procedures and the guy who knew how to do it has left for a 20% pay rise

Oh the pathetic excuses they try on show they are clueless, latest one "the service isn't partitioned right to allow shared access right so it is not possible right for us to give access for technical reasons.... right"

aghhh I hate the "right" at the end of every phrase the Injuns come out with. Still at least this guy speaks something like English, most of the team don't speak any English.

57 minutes ago, davidg said:

Oh the pathetic excuses they try on show they are clueless, latest one "the service isn't partitioned right to allow shared access right so it is not possible right for us to give access for technical reasons.... right"

aghhh I hate the "right" at the end of every phrase the Injuns come out with. Still at least this guy speaks something like English, most of the team don't speak any English.

Sounds like the (test?) application is running on a server with other apps.

Which would be the same here - we wouldn't give a customer server-level access (to the IIS web server) nor to the configuration.