• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

Smelling Parkinsons

I suspect this will be used to shunt healthy people off for parkinsons treatment along with pill treatment to help the pharmas.

Top tip - use plenty of deodorant every day. Spray it all around.

Apple a day tip well out of date.

Edited by twocents

48 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/12/18/woman-can-smell-parkinsons-disease-helps-scientists-develop/

Fascinating story. I have poor eyesight and poor hearing but a very sensitive sense of smell. I don’t know about Parkinson’s but I can tell when family members are sick in general through smell too.

It's amazing. My ex could spot when I had bad flatulence without fail.

53 minutes ago, twocents said:

I suspect this will be used to shunt healthy people off for parkinsons treatment along with pill treatment to help the pharmas.

Top tip - use plenty of deodorant every day. Spray it all around.

Apple a day tip well out of date.

I'm not sure any healthy person would opt for taking Parkinson's medication based on someone smelling them.

6 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I'm not sure any healthy person would opt for taking Parkinson's medication based on someone smelling them.

Yes indeed I think it would need a second opinion - but some people are more easily convinced than others and the pharmas VIs are very strong.

5 minutes ago, twocents said:

Yes indeed I think it would need a second opinion - but some people are more easily convinced than others and the pharmas VIs are very strong.

I said it mainly because I've been on Parkinsons medication for 6 months. It was only a new development in symptoms that caused the neuro to suggest we trial it. He certainly didn't seem eager to hand them out, but then I guess there are others that may be. 

I will confess to you though that it's a bit of a scary one because I sometimes think I'm dependent on it to function, a bit like how I'd imagine you'd feel if your were addicted to heroin etc. 

19 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I said it mainly because I've been on Parkinsons medication for 6 months. It was only a new development in symptoms that caused the neuro to suggest we trial it. He certainly didn't seem eager to hand them out, but then I guess there are others that may be. 

I will confess to you though that it's a bit of a scary one because I sometimes think I'm dependent on it to function, a bit like how I'd imagine you'd feel if your were addicted to heroin etc. 

I do hope they work out.  If the medically recommended medication works and helps function then that's good irrespective of concerns about dependence.  I can only imagine about heroin addiction which few if any would recommend.

I'm all for accurate diagnosis and if the smell test turns out to be valid then fair enough but I do tend to be a bit wary of dramatic newspaper revelations.

Edited by twocents

3 minutes ago, twocents said:

I do hope they work out.  If the medically recommended medication works and helps function then that's good irrespective of concerns about dependence.  I can only imagine about heroin addiction which few if any would recommend.

I'm all for accurate diagnosis and if the smell test turns out to be valid then fair enough but I do tend to be a bit wary of dramatic newspaper revelations.

It's quite an old story. I've seen her on some programme before about exceptional humans or humans with special abilities, something like that. 

I don't want it to sound like I'm comparing it to taking heroin but more about the dependency. On reflection that ties in with what you say about the VI's and pharma industry. Get 'em hooked, kind of thing. 

22 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

It's quite an old story. I've seen her on some programme before about exceptional humans or humans with special abilities, something like that. 

I don't want it to sound like I'm comparing it to taking heroin but more about the dependency. On reflection that ties in with what you say about the VI's and pharma industry. Get 'em hooked, kind of thing. 

Ok - I guess you'll realise that I'm not that keen on diagnosis and treatment etc just based on some female (or a male or a dog for that matter) having a sniff ;)

A dog made an unwelcome approach and had a sniff many years ago and started barking.  I don't know what it diagnosed but I'm still here alive and kicking.  I don't think I would take most females sniffing around and saying you're sick that seriously. 

Edited by twocents