• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

Minimum alcohol pricing

Scotland trying to do this, Wales had a go, and now my own Cornwall is flaunting its miniscule devolved powers to try to bring it in here and there is talk about how to prevent "booze cruises across the border to Devon".  It's like some Chris Morris show.

As ever they're banging on about white cider and pre-loading to suggest that this would only affect those "not nice" people who drink in the streets and wet their trousers before shouting at pigeons; doing them a favour really in that beneficent public health way.

This would however affect my favourite tipple with my Lidl lager going up from £2.65 for four to £4; the floated 50p per unit minimum has a very strong whiff of being just got starters.  And I very rarely shout at pigeons.

This is creeping prohibition; if you're on a low wage then having a beer will become an increasingly rare event. And the people pushing this agenda would be absolutely delighted by the proles being unable to afford alcohol.

It's that BBC disinformation again: white cider, street drinkers, pre loading... why would any reasonable person oppose it? Drip drip drip.

If they want to reduce damage from alcohol then stop classying  drunks as disbaled and giving them DLA.

That would hit a good number of the problem drinkers.

Rest could be hit by having some variable rate NHS tax that measures your drinking and obesity.

Simple solution as I've said before. Change the duty banding of white ciders so it's comparable with beer. The whole point of lowering the cider duty banding in general was to protect British jobs, not many of those 20 years down the track. But white cider at half the rate of the rest of cider is ludicrous.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

If they want to reduce damage from alcohol then stop classying  drunks as disbaled and giving them DLA.

That would hit a good number of the problem drinkers.

Rest could be hit by having some variable rate NHS tax that measures your drinking and obesity.

The meme of the undeserving sick damaging "our NHS" is a tool of social control.

First they take my money to pay for healthcare for all, now they want to tell me I can't have any healthcare because some tubby nurse with her head up her arse disapproves of my lifestyle.

If you're going to charge based on need, then you might as well shut the whole thing down and we can all pay as we go privately.

Edited by SpectrumFX

Let's not forget also that prohibition will become easier and easier to gradually introduce in the UK as more and more areas become 'enriched' by our non-drinking guests. 

I can easily see complete local bans in certain local authorities. This is what happens in Muslim areas of India - they are 'dry' (officially at least, though the strictness varies). 

As an observation, there seems to be a culture in which people addicted to heroin are victims that need every assistance, whereas people addicted to alcohol "brought it upon themselves" and are a scourge on society. Presumably because the latter group will involve more of the middle-classes who "ought to know better" and because of this, they cannot be put into that "victim" category?