• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

shindigger

Vic Reeves Big Night Out

I loved the big night out. Went to a recording of an episode in the second series. The one where a dog encrusted in the worlds largest unmined diamond, swings down from the audience and smashes Bob Mortimer in the face.

I'm a bit sad to seem em looking older. Fucking hell, i now think back to when Big Night Out was first on TV.

We are in a different fucking dimension now.

I hope its not shit.

House of Fools was ho-rrendous.

this on the other hand is ace....unrestrained guffaws when man with the stick appears

Edited by shindigger

I love Reeves and Mortimer. Grew up watching Shooting Stars and some of their sketch shows. I quite enjoyed House of Fools.

Glad to see them back on the telly. Even though I can't watch it as I don't have a TV licence.

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I love Reeves and Mortimer. Grew up watching Shooting Stars and some of their sketch shows. I quite enjoyed House of Fools.

Glad to see them back on the telly. Even though I can't watch it as I don't have a TV licence.

I loved Bang Bang and Catterick. Paul Barron in the club with Kinky John Fowler. Love it.

Just now, shindigger said:

I loved Bang Bang and Catterick. Paul Barron in the club with Kinky John Fowler. Love it.

I've still not seen Catterick actually, even though I've heard numerous times how fantastic it is.

Ah superb, it's on YouTube:

Just now, JoeDavola said:

I've still not seen Catterick actually, even though I've heard numerous times how fantastic it is.

Its great. Reece Shearsmith is in it too. His version of Satan Rejected My Soul is the bollocks.

Vic Reeves was married to a very attractive looking lady. My local Anne Summers' shop had a full-length photo of her wearing some knickers and nothing else, with her back and bottom facing the street, and it was very pleasant. They had it up for about 4 or 5 years until they took it down a few months ago. I may never see a bottom like that again... until I click on the DM website.

That is all I can add to this thread. If anyone ever find that image online please let me know.

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

thats going in my wank bank

ive heard league of gentlemens comeing back has well.

Just watched it on iplayer, like the film, disappointing unfortunately.

45 minutes ago, eight said:

Many people have told me that I sound exactly like Vic Reeves. If from now on you read my posts with his voice then I will seem even funnier than I already am.

I pretend everything I read on the internet comes from someone with a yorkshire accent. Suddenly the world sounds less threatening.

I must admit I never really got Big Night Out. I just didn't find it funny at all. Not that I don't like Vic and Bob. Shooting Starts could be OK although it still had a lot of their humour that does nothing for me and their Randall and Hopkirk remake was pretty good. I'm quite old school when it comes to humour. I like to be told a gag with an actual punchline. The sort of daft stand up that started in the 90's with comics like Harry Hill where they'd just act silly and say daft things just had me wondering 'when's the comic coming on?' although, to be fair, Harry Hill did redeem himself with TV Burp.

That said, I'd take Vic and Bob any day of the week over the modern, right-on, upper middle class TWAT's who claim to be comedians these days. Yes I'm looking at your Markus Prickstock/Russell Howard you sanctimonious, talentless, gormless, wastes of blood and organs.

17 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

That said, I'd take Vic and Bob any day of the week over the modern, right-on, upper middle class TWAT's who claim to be comedians these days. Yes I'm looking at your Markus Prickstock/Russell Howard you sanctimonious, talentless, gormless, wastes of blood and organs.

I think that was part of their original appeal, an antidote to the right on political comedians of the late 80's. It was non-political, unoffensive and just out and out silliness. 

A friend and I used to go and see his very early stuff, mainly around Greenwich/Woolwich area, if anybody remembers Les from Vic Reeves big night out, he was an art technician at out school and he would get us free tickets. 

Comedy doesn't really traverse time well, and certainly not over generations.

This is our (presumptive) generations' version of the old Christmas specials that I sat through as a child. 

It is like the revivals of all the old bands -- there's something rather sad in seeing music that was played for and by young people being played by these old guys/gals, albeit with some younger session players to keep the tempo up.  I'd rather that this stuff was left in the past.

4 minutes ago, dgul said:

This is our (presumptive) generations' version of the old Christmas specials that I sat through as a child. 

It is like the revivals of all the old bands -- there's something rather sad in seeing music that was played for and by young people being played by these old guys/gals, albeit with some younger session players to keep the tempo up.  I'd rather that this stuff was left in the past.

Their bank balances don't. 

I think this is the main reason for most of these come backs. 

9 minutes ago, dgul said:

Indeed so. Very little entertainment of any sort passes the test of time. Countless times Ive looked up movies or TV shows I adored in my youth and found them to be utter twaddle now.

Having kids and trying to get them to watch or listen to stuff you love is brutal, as they have no baggage, no preconceptions of what is suppossed to be good or bad, & no historical context  and as a consequence tell it as they see it. And if they are eloquent enough to explain why it's rubbish, your illusions and treasured memories are truly fucked.

Edited by Melchett

18 minutes ago, JFK said:

Love them, vic reeves big night out in 6th form / starting uni was the soundtrack to my life ;)

YOU LYING GET!

I do know what you mean.  V&B was that drunken Friday (? can't remember) night in the shared flat, with the guys from upstairs (yuppies!*) and downstairs (hippies!), squashed onto the sofas with the dodgy stains and slowly passing out from laughter (or the booze).

But watching it now?  Perhaps it was all about the moment.

I love absurdist humour. I sometimes used to laugh so much at Bang Bang and the early Shooting Stars that I struggled to breathe! Trouble is it's not as funny when you rewatch it and know what's coming, I suppose.