• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Tent city

I agree with moving them on but I don't agree with throwing away some of their few possessions.

These homeless men were a problem in Truro city centre (not by merely being there, by getting pissed and rowdy in the middle of the day) but with co-operation between the bank, the local homelss society, the police, and the council they were moved away in a few weeks without the need to throw away what are, after all, their homes.  I wouldn't rely upon the council's statement that their tents were "clearly abandonned".

20170111_083411.jpeg?resize=1024,576&ssl

https://cornishstuff.com/2017/01/11/truro-natwest-homeless-camp-to-be-removed-today-mayor/

The homeless situation is out of control in Bristol. Everywhere you look there's a tent somewhere. There's not enough capacity in the shelters and a lot of people don't want to stay in them anyway, they are full of drunks druggies and violence. If I was in that situation I'd much rather take my chances on the streets.

Also to note is that I've yet to see a foreigner sleeping rough, it's all indigenous men, who come bottom of the barrel as far as Bristol council are concerned. The council is building few hundred council homes in south Bristol. I've heard from multiple people that they know people who've applied for these yet to be built houses and have been declined. Apparently they are ear marked for Somalians and other immigrants.

Edited by gibbon

5 minutes ago, gibbon said:

The homeless situation is out of control in Bristol. Everywhere you look there's a tent somewhere. There's not enough capacity in the shelters and a lot of people don't want to stay in them anyway, they are full of drunks druggies and violence. If I was in that situation I'd much rather take my chances on the streets.

Also to note is that I've yet to see a foreigner sleeping rough, it's all indigenous men, who come bottom of the barrel as far as Bristol council are concerned. The council is building few hundred council homes in south Bristol. I've heard from multiple people that they know people who've applied for these yet to be built houses and have been declined. Apparently they are ear marked for Somalians and other immigrants.

The solution, then, is to lie. If I am ever homeless I will simply claim to be a persecuted Pashto homosexual who is transitioning genders. These things are not always discernible to the average person - let alone a council worker!

And yes I am being serious - just lie!

17 minutes ago, gibbon said:

I've noticed a similar situation in the many underpasses in Milton Keynes where I've been working recently. They beg for money during the day, but generally kick back with a few tinnies and a BBQ in the evening. What's nice is that as I traipse to my hotel in the evening they are full of bonhomie and will generally shout something along the lines of 'cheer up mate, what's the worst that could happen?' etc. I don't see them in the morning as they're still in bed. 

IMG_20170901_073006_01.jpg

24 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

The solution, then, is to lie. If I am ever homeless I will simply claim to be a persecuted Pashto homosexual who is transitioning genders. These things are not always discernible to the average person - let alone a council worker!

And yes I am being serious - just lie!

No.

The solution is still a points based system.

Except any non native is deducted points for making themselves homeless in their native country.

43 minutes ago, gibbon said:

It`s all down to how housing for asylum seekers are funded compared to the indigenous 

A/S funding comes from central government and they pay a premium,  the indigenous are funded via the local authority 

I know someone that leased two barley livable houses to a local HA which completely renovated them and guaranteed the rent for the lease period both were destined for asylum seekers 

17 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

It`s all down to how housing for asylum seekers are funded compared to the indigenous 

A/S funding comes from central government and they pay a premium,  the indigenous are funded via the local authority 

I know someone that leased two barley livable houses to a local HA which completely renovated them and guaranteed the rent for the lease period both were destined for asylum seekers 

For 2 years or so.

Then the funding stops.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

For 2 years or so.

Then the funding stops.

Link 

I take it you are talking about an individual ? 

The deal just continues for new arrivals,local HA`s are leasing BTL and renovating free of charge with guaranteed rent for 8-10 years  

Edited by Long time lurking

2 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Link 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/634000/2017-18_Combined_LA_FI_v1_0_PUBLISHED.pdf

Cessation of Funding

The Authority’s responsibility for providing Funding under this Instruction will

cease no later than the sixty (60) Month anniversary of the Refugee’s arrival

in the UK under the Programme and Funding

is not claimable for any support provided beyond this anniversary.'

8 minutes ago, spygirl said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/634000/2017-18_Combined_LA_FI_v1_0_PUBLISHED.pdf

Cessation of Funding

The Authority’s responsibility for providing Funding under this Instruction will

cease no later than the sixty (60) Month anniversary of the Refugee’s arrival

in the UK under the Programme and Funding

is not claimable for any support provided beyond this anniversary.'

So it`s the individual ,...theres a que  @ 5 years a pop

Edited by Long time lurking

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I agree with moving them on but I don't agree with throwing away some of their few possessions.

These homeless men were a problem in Truro city centre (not by merely being there, by getting pissed and rowdy in the middle of the day) but with co-operation between the bank, the local homelss society, the police, and the council they were moved away in a few weeks without the need to throw away what are, after all, their homes.  I wouldn't rely upon the council's statement that their tents were "clearly abandonned".

20170111_083411.jpeg?resize=1024,576&ssl

https://cornishstuff.com/2017/01/11/truro-natwest-homeless-camp-to-be-removed-today-mayor/

That image made me a laugh. 

A bank with plenty of room to spare and some would argue banks being one of the main culprits in the housing crisis and the extremes of immigration.

Interesting that the "homeless" appeared to choose tents that managed to be very close to Natwest corporate colours.  Something fishy going on again?

Edited by twocents