• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavola

Songwriting

3 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Jimmy Webb's "MacArthur Park" - by those who did their best to popularise it...

I met one of that backing band once - they toured with him apparently - when I was playing on the event circuit in London. He told me that Richard Harris couldn't really sing to save his life and that the band had carried him by following his eccentric timing and somewhat shaky grasp of pitch. He also told me he was a top guy who bought everyone drinks all the time and was so grateful to them for putting up with his terrible musicianship that he bought them all gifts at the end of the tour.

On 15/04/2017 at 22:42, TheBlueCat said:

I met one of that backing band once - they toured with him apparently - when I was playing on the event circuit in London. He told me that Richard Harris couldn't really sing to save his life and that the band had carried him by following his eccentric timing and somewhat shaky grasp of pitch. He also told me he was a top guy who bought everyone drinks all the time and was so grateful to them for putting up with his terrible musicianship that he bought them all gifts at the end of the tour.

Thanks for that Bluey - a story that goes to confirm that Richard Harris the bloke was exactly how I imagined him to be.

XYY

6 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Thanks for that Bluey - a story that goes to confirm that Richard Harris the bloke was exactly how I imagined him to be.

XYY

You're welcome. It's always nice when someone who you like onscreen turns out also to be a decent chap. I used to like Rolf Harris until a stage manager friend told me that he had been an absolute tawt to deal with at a live show he'd worked - this was years before it came out that he was a nonce as well, possibly predictive.

I think this guy (Paddy McAloon) is one off the greatest songwriters and lyricists of out time. He should be a megastar but is actually just hermit-like, producing songs in his shed on an old Atari ST computer.

Edited by The Idiocrat

On 5/9/2017 at 00:28, The Idiocrat said:

I think this guy (Paddy McAloon) is one off the greatest songwriters and lyricists of out time. He should be a megastar but is actually just hermit-like, producing songs in his shed on an old Atari ST computer

Agreed - Paddy McAloon is a genius. I don't even bother mentioning him to people because I don't think they'd 'get it'.

5 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Agreed - Paddy McAloon is a genius. I don't even bother mentioning him to people because I don't think they'd 'get it'.

Yes, you're right about a lot of people not getting it. I think their hit song The King of Rock & Roll is pretty much the only one people know - which is a bit like their "My Dingaling" and not a sign of Paddy's depth and ability. The guy should be writing hit musicals these days.

Edited by The Idiocrat

Just now, The Idiocrat said:

Yes, you're right about a lot of people not getting it. I think their hit song The King of Rock & Roll is pretty much the only one people know - which is a bit like their "My Dingaling"

Exactly. It's quite often that a songwriter's most well known song is one which does them a great disservice and will put people off checking out the rest of their work. Quite ironic.

7 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Exactly. It's quite often that a songwriter's most well known song is one which does them a great disservice and will put people off checking out the rest of their work. Quite ironic.

I have huge admiration for Paddy. 'Steve McQueen' bring one of the greatest albums of all time. 

8 hours ago, Tabasco Kid said:

I have huge admiration for Paddy. 'Steve McQueen' bring one of the greatest albums of all time. 

Couldn't agree more, my favourite album ever. Would not have been possible without Thomas Dolby though.

Is Dolby's recent autobiography any good anyone know? (Joe, you've got his pic as your avatar so perhaps you've read it?).

Edited by The Idiocrat

Paddy McAloon was my immediate thought when I saw the thread title, massive Prefab Sprout fan. 

I'd always thought they were more well known and popular than they actually were, looking at their Wikipedia page only ever had one single in the top 20 and only a handful in the top 40.