• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
stokiescum

christmas dinner

ok i do like a christmas dinner,however i dont like cooking.i even do fishfingers and bacon in the ding.however im working christmas day night so cant be arsed to invite myself to my sisters has its not going to be fun watching everyone get pissed except me.ive decided to push the boat out and treat myself to duck eggs pig pudding and some decent bacon and have a festive fry up with some posh sausages.is anyone else an antisocial bastard like me ?

Is pig pudding the same as black pudding as I haven't heard of it before.

I'm round my mums for Christmas dinner. Frankly nowadays I prefer my cooking to hers but it's a tradition and she'd be disappointed if we didn't show up! My main complaint is that she boils brussel sprouts; they should be roasted always.

(And never frozen - ever. 99% of people who hate brussel sprouts have only tried the frozen ones I reckon).

19 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I'm round my mums for Christmas dinner. Frankly nowadays I prefer my cooking to hers but it's a tradition and she'd be disappointed if we didn't show up! My main complaint is that she boils brussel sprouts; they should be roasted always.

(And never frozen - ever. 99% of people who hate brussel sprouts have only tried the frozen ones I reckon).

yes black pudding,i love sprouts i can eat them on there own with a dash of gravey

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm eating raw sprouts at the moment (well not literally this moment) which I usd to eat years ago and had a craving for them again; very tangy.

Duck eggs is a very nice touch.

You are lucky you live near the sea where the "pollution" will blow away. Duck eggs and raw sprouts seems a little dangerous to me.

19 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Caught a snippet of a program talking about brussels and selecting varieties/genetics to remove the sour tasting which around a 1/3 of the population are really sensitive to - hence then being a bit of a marmite vegetable. Turning some of the starch to sugar through roasting will offset the sourness too or make modern varieties even sweeter overall, so yes definitely roasted. Oddest brussels I've ever were cold curried ones in scandinavia, boiled to boot.

8 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Caught a snippet of a program talking about brussels and selecting varieties/genetics to remove the sour tasting which around a 1/3 of the population are really sensitive to - hence then being a bit of a marmite vegetable. Turning some of the starch to sugar through roasting will offset the sourness too or make modern varieties even sweeter overall, so yes definitely roasted. Oddest brussels I've ever were cold curried ones in scandinavia, boiled to boot.

Ooh I make a mean Brussels Bhaji :)

Needs to be eaten in moderation though.

46 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm eating raw sprouts at the moment (well not literally this moment) which I usd to eat years ago and had a craving for them again; very tangy.

Duck eggs is a very nice touch.

Raw sprouts are lovely. We generally have Christmas Day at home, just me, Mr Dipsy and Dipsy junior and as we don't like roasts much we tend to go for a buffet style meal with loads of cheese, hams, salads, smoked salmon and fizz. This year we are entertaining the in-laws and they are elderly and traditionally so I'm doing turkey. I'd rather have the festive fry that you are planning @stokiescum, I love black pudding.

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

is anyone else an antisocial bastard like me ?

Yes, but chance would be a fine thing on Xmas day

Crikey that sounds like a lawnmower!:)

Edited by BigV

39 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Ooh I make a mean Brussels Bhaji :)

Needs to be eaten in moderation though.

Sounds more like a WMD than a food.

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Sorted

Image result for microwave turkey meal

And it is actually very sad to think that is what a lot of people will be having :(

Tbh I'd be fine with that; whilst I like foraging for its own sake I don't get excited by food and the whole restaurant / celebrity chef thing interests me not one bit.

If I wasn't aware of the need for variety I would happily eat the same three meals every day.

I have had to fake enthusiasm at times but really it just all tastes very similar.

9 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

And it is actually very sad to think that is what a lot of people will be having :(

Well, yes and no. Lots of people will not be having a blow-out Xmas dinner for valid reasons - working, about to go to work, non-natives, etc... and they'll make do with a ready meal.

But I get your point - being involuntarily stuck on your own on Xmas day is no fun.

This year, me being a widower and my son divorced we have been invited to a full roast etc. at my daughters on Boxing Day.

For Christmas day, as long as the weather is not too bad, we are doing a barbecue.

2 minutes ago, Byron said:

This year, me being a widower and my son divorced we have been invited to a full roast etc. at my daughters on Boxing Day.

For Christmas day, as long as the weather is not too bad, we are doing a barbecue.

BBQ, a few tins of beer and a 1970s bond movie would work well for me (well, except that I’m a vegetarian).

47 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Sorted

Image result for microwave turkey meal

I feel less sorry for those able to have that M&S one as I do the poor would who will be having this one (or nothing at all) :

wp_ss_20171220_0003.png

8 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

BBQ, a few tins of beer and a 1970s bond movie would work well for me (well, except that I’m a vegetarian).

We're veggie too so its dog roll with all the trimmings for us.

No sprouts though, they are EVIL!!!!