• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Rare Bear

Lost luggage

I was in Ireland for thw weekend at a wedding. Got back on Sunday evening but the check suitcase had gone astray. When I look at the Cityjet website today the status had changed from STILL CHECKING to FILL IN CLAIM FORM.

The problem that I waill have, apart from it being a bloody PITA, is that most of the items were pretty old and hence no receipt. In fact probably by far the most expensive item in the case was a YSL double breasted suit which cost £350 in a sale 25 years ago. The next most expensive item was an IPad which I received as a present several years ago.

Any ideas as to how I might claim for these items?

21 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

I was in Ireland for thw weekend at a wedding. Got back on Sunday evening but the check suitcase had gone astray. When I look at the Cityjet website today the status had changed from STILL CHECKING to FILL IN CLAIM FORM.

The problem that I waill have, apart from it being a bloody PITA, is that most of the items were pretty old and hence no receipt. In fact probably by far the most expensive item in the case was a YSL double breasted suit which cost £350 in a sale 25 years ago. The next most expensive item was an IPad which I received as a present several years ago.

Shit, hope it materialises somewhere and they get in touch to return it. 

No idea about claims like this but I would have thought you just list everything and, if they ask, provide receipts for anything you can. Maybe old bank statements showing the purchases would suffice though? Obviously no good for the iPad as it was a present, maybe the person who gave you it has a receipt, or something on a bank statement to show they bought it? I would have hoped they would not require proof of ownership unless there were really high value items, or they thought you were taking the piss- 6 Armani suits, a gold bar, £5000 in cash, both your Rolex watches, a diamond ring, three iPad pros and a kilo of saffron...

Edited by Carl Fimble
saffron has two f's, I'm a stupid fucking idiot

Just be honest and write down what was in there, what they are worth now and where the receipts are is not your problem. 

Can't see how they could challenge you on what was in there if it's a realistic set of items you might have good cause to transport from one place to another. 

46 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

AFAIK, if you don't have travel insurance, your loss is covered by the rules of the Montreal Convention which allows you up to around 1K GBP for a claim unless you have declared a greater value beforehand. 

2 minutes ago, Panther said:

Value everything at new replacement cost and let them argue the toss

Airlines are quite quick to provide small amounts of money for "essential" items - toiletries etc - if baggage is delayed but will drag their feet if the bag is lost.

They will ask for dates of purchase and receipts for EVERYTHING and no matter what you provide will still argue the toss and not recompense above £1k.

Did you get a claim form at the airport? If not, contact the airline customer service department immediately with name, address, date of travel and flight number saying you will be lodging a claim within 21 days of the flight (more than that and they will not consider claim) and asking for a claim form. If you still have your boarding card send them a copy of it and hold on to the original.

Write out a full list of what you have lost and don't forget the case itself. If you had something valuable in the bag and a receipt for it then by all means provide a copy but otherwise just tell them it is not your practice to keep receipts or record dates of purchase.

No matter what you do or say the airline will not pay out more than £1k and usually much less but the greater the calm yet determined fuss you kick up the more chance they will eventually find your bag!

Lol, they want receipts for everything when the only receipt that matters is their receipt for your bag. Tell them to weight your list and compare it to the weight of your bag, which is all they know anyway.

Edited by Panther

Years ago I met a guy that worked out of Heathrow delivering 'lost luggage'. The Transit van he drove was 6 months old and had over 100k miles on the clock.

Does Royal Mail have the same % of misplaced parcels as airlines have missing luggage?