• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Happy Solstice

14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The day we cease to tilt away from the sun and start tilting back towards it.

The day which starts a whole six months of the days getting longer and the sun getting stronger.

The day that summer starts coming back and gets closer with every sunrise :)

Cheers everyone!

Well only sort-of.    Sunrise keeps on getting later for a few more days -- it doesn't start getting earlier in the morning until about 2nd Jan.

But, on the other hand, sunset (the bit I appreciate most) has been getting later since mid Dec.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

The day which starts a whole six months of the days getting longer and the sun getting stronger.

The wobble of the Earth on its axis complicates things - rotations, precessions, orbits; wheels within wheels

@dgul and @Panther

Trivial stuff! Party poopers?

I’ve been outside already but it’s early so I may go back outside again and revel in the idea that for almost sixty years that the winter solstice signifies that daylight hours increase from now.

Ancients celebrated it according to what we think we know.

Unless there’s a massive universal upset and change to seasons I’ll keep on enjoying my solstice celebrations.

8 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

@dgul and @Panther

Trivial stuff! Party poopers?

I’ve been outside already but it’s early so I may go back outside again and revel in the idea that for almost sixty years that the winter solstice signifies that daylight hours increase from now.

Ancients celebrated it according to what we think we know.

Unless there’s a massive universal upset and change to seasons I’ll keep on enjoying my solstice celebrations.

My understanding is that the solstice has been around for longer than that.

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

My understanding is that the solstice has been around for longer than that.

#metoo.

But I only operate in the here and now and my personal experience in response to life.

Just now, Economic Exile said:

#metoo.

But I only operate in the here and now and my personal experience in response to life.

That seems very sensible.  Although I don't know why I'm bothering with this internet stuff when you're all just a figment of my imagination, anyway.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

The day that summer starts coming back and gets closer with every sunrise :)

Cheers everyone!

the earth is tilted at the same angle, it's just going round the sun. But, yes a nice time of year that's worth celebrating. Also, impressive how our ancestors survived on salt pork and turnips throughout the winter.

Just now, dgul said:

That seems very sensible.  Although I don't know why I'm bothering with this internet stuff when you're all just a figment of my imagination, anyway.

Perhaps because, like me, you need to interact and Dosbods forum is a good place?

4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Perhaps because, like me, you need to interact and Dosbods forum is a good place?

I'll raise a glass and say a happy Dosbods Christmas.

The glass contains real stuff too.