• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

give blood

27 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

item on news about blood banks needing more blood. If you can, go for it.

I'm visiting the UK over Christmas and New Year. Wales and the South-West.

Over here they won't take my filthy mad-cow British blood, so I might donate in the UK . What are the rules in the UK - what ID will I need? Are there places I can just turn up to donate?

17 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

I'm visiting the UK over Christmas and New Year. Wales and the South-West.

Over here they won't take my filthy mad-cow British blood, so I might donate in the UK . What are the rules in the UK - what ID will I need? Are there places I can just turn up to donate?

I can't donate blood in the UK due to getting a blood transfusion over 20 years ago.  I'm mad cow risk myself so sounds like the rules are the same.

Transfusion

If you have had or think you have had a blood transfusion (or blood products) anytime since 1st January 1980 sadly, we can no longer accept your blood. 

This rule has been introduced as a purely precautionary measure.  It aims to reduce the possible risk of variant CJD (vCJD) being passed from donor to patient.  However, just like our other rules regarding who can and who can't give, things can change.  As new scientific information comes to light we will review the situation.  This could mean either continuing this ruling or asking people to come back.  We just don't know yet.

Edited by montecristo

The HCPC ( Govt body with teeth)  declared that we can't cross-match blood on remote islands anymore.  So we are sent loads of O Neg blood...it's kinda safe and you can give it to anyone.

But the waste is horrendous.  Loads of donors blood discarded as out of date.

Trying to provide a risk free service results in loads of donors blood being thrown away.

Cross-matching blood is a skill but not difficult if you know what you are doing.  Why can't we just be left alone to do our job?

If the donors knew their blood was being thrown away they would be annoyed....as I would.

Just leave us alone to get on with our jobs.

3 hours ago, One percent said:

I'm asthmatic and they have refused to take my blood since I was diagnosed as such. 

Hasn't stopped me. I mentioned it to them but they poo pooed me, shoved me down on a couch and sucked my blood out of me. I had to fill loads of forms saying that I was not gay and had never owned a coffee machine though. Maybe they were just desperate.

11 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I've got a cough again so not for me.

Suck on a clove of garlic.

3 hours ago, montecristo said:

I can't donate blood in the UK due to getting a blood transfusion over 20 years ago.  I'm mad cow risk myself so sounds like the rules are the same.

Transfusion

If you have had or think you have had a blood transfusion (or blood products) anytime since 1st January 1980 sadly, we can no longer accept your blood. 

This rule has been introduced as a purely precautionary measure.  It aims to reduce the possible risk of variant CJD (vCJD) being passed from donor to patient.  However, just like our other rules regarding who can and who can't give, things can change.  As new scientific information comes to light we will review the situation.  This could mean either continuing this ruling or asking people to come back.  We just don't know yet.

FFS! 

One of the reasons I've always wanted to give blood is that in 1981 I received a fair amount. Seems I am a leper everywhere. 

:Old:

I have done in the past and it was a piece of piss, needle in your arm, wait for a bit with a tube hanging out, get a cup of tea and a biscuit, done.

I wouldn't do it just now as I suspect I am close to the edge, and need all the energy I have for work.

9 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Hasn't stopped me. I mentioned it to them but they poo pooed me, shoved me down on a couch and sucked my blood out of me. I had to fill loads of forms saying that I was not gay and had never owned a coffee machine though. Maybe they were just desperate.

Suck on a clove of garlic.

Weird. I gave blood regularly until I developed asthma. Then they started turning me away. 

I’m a hardened smoker of rollup cigs. Would anyone want my blood?

I used to donate and got a certificate years ago for donating ? pints.

One time I presented myself to donate my offer was refused. Back in the day when I drank a lot so perhaps there was too much alcohol in it?

Now it’s been mentioned I can’t recall seeing an advert in the local paper for several years about the blood donation team coming to town. Where do you go to donate blood these days?

7 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I have done in the past and it was a piece of piss, needle in your arm, wait for a bit with a tube hanging out, get a cup of tea and a biscuit, done.

I wouldn't do it just now as I suspect I am close to the edge, and need all the energy I have for work.

I had it go wrong once. Nurse was crap. Feck knows where the needle went but it was not in a vein. Sucked on my body to the point that I felt really unwell and no one noticed. Some of the blood bank staff are brill. Others crap.

9 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

To be fair....it's a big fuck-off needle

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

I’m a hardened smoker of rollup cigs. Would anyone want my blood?

I used to donate and got a certificate years ago for donating ? pints.

One time I presented myself to donate my offer was refused. Back in the day when I drank a lot so perhaps there was too much alcohol in it?

Now it’s been mentioned I can’t recall seeing an advert in the local paper for several years about the blood donation team coming to town. Where do you go to donate blood these days?

Local churches, community centres. They have a rota system in my part of the country. Not to hospital.

They changed it in Wales recently to allow gay men to donate. Prior to this you had to fill in a long form ticking no to numerous acts of sodomy? Or was it buggery? I always get those two mixed up.

I suspect it was more to do with political correctness than with upping the numbers of donors though.

Just now, Wahoo said:

To be fair....it's a big fuck-off needle

Shhhhhh! I was selling it as if it was nothing to avoid discouraging people. The thing which used to worry me was when they walked anywhere near the tube coming out my arm. I always imagined the tube getting caught on them, and imagined the needle in my arm moving about in the vein. Yeeeesh- that freaks me out, even just typing it....

32 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Local churches, community centres. They have a rota system in my part of the country. Not to hospital.

Yes that’s where it always used to be.

Seen nothing for years where to go for blood donation and I buy the local rag every week.

9 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

The problem is that the transfusion service in recent years seems to have organised the process for their convenience rather than the donors. At one time they regularly sent mobile blood donation units to large employers sites. Then they stopped. Unsurprisingly that was the about the time they started having problems getting enough donors  

Yep, this is why I've stopped giving blood, not a conscious or deliberate decision but they started to make it a very difficult process that just wasn't as easy or convenient. Tried a few times and found it very hard to get it arranged so didn't donate and got out of the habit.

I'll have a look now and see if it's improved. 

This is what they say about Asthma, I've given dozens of times and it's never been mentioned or asked about.

Asthma

Please only attend if you are fit and well, you have not required steroid tablets/injections for at least 7 days and you do not have symptoms of asthma or bronchitis on the day of donation. Please take your inhalers with you. 

Taking/using regular preventative medication/inhalers (not oral steroid tablets, e.g. prednisolone) will not prevent donations if above advice is followed.

If you have had a chest infection, please wait 14 days from full recovery and 7 days from antibiotic treatment before donating.

In the last 6 months, if you have required steroid tablets, injections or enemas for a period of more than 3 weeks (this includes 6 weekly slow release steroid injections), you need to wait 6 months from finishing this treatment and please call us again when recovered so we can assess your health at that time.

In the last 12 months, if you have required a course of oral or injected steroids lasting for 6 months or more, you need to wait 12 months from finishing this treatment and please call us again when recovered so we can assess your health at that time.