• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

The Last Jedi - The Last Star Wars?

Some video blogs are saying this is the worst movie ever made.

I've not seen it, but ready to believe it might be bad.

Luke Skywalker drinks milk from the udder(?) of a big Walrus in the film. Okaaaaaay.

The review I heard said there were lots of jokey moments and the film has been primarily aimed at young filmgoers: twelve or younger.

Maybe it's always been that level as that was probably around the age I first saw Star Wars and really enjoyed it.

I might watch it one day as they're reasonably enjoyable.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

The review I heard said there were lots of jokey moments and the film has been primarily aimed at young filmgoers: twelve or younger.

Maybe it's always been that level as that was probably around the age I first saw Star Wars and really enjoyed it.

I might watch it one day as they're reasonably enjoyable.

I recently watched the previous movie 'The Force Awakens' and thought it was a pretty damn good film.

Daisy Ridley causes me stirrings....

Disney have been on a huge spending spree - paid billions for Marvel, paids billions for Star Wars and now about to pay over 50 billion for Fox.

I believe they are also trying to do some deal to gain find kind of access or control to Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman also. Apparently they see the next big money-spinner in these films to be - as fans demand online - cross-universe films where the likes of Ironman battles Batman or sides with Superman against Lex Luthor, etc, etc.

The ocmic book fans have been wetting themselves for years hoping for this to happen.

But Disney are so seriously invested in the above that they are going to have to make all of these huge winners for them -- in other words, they are going to force these films down our throats for decades to come.

It is interesting as, this year, such films did poorly at the US box office and it is possible that, apart from diehards, the general public have already had enough.

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I recently watched the previous movie 'The Force Awakens' and thought it was a pretty damn good film.

Daisy Ridley causes me stirrings....

VII was a better 'adult' film.  I went with my 9 year old and it was right on the edge. 

VIII is a better 'kids' film.  Obviously he's now 11, but he'd have been fine with it at 9.

But Star Wars has always been a kids film.  All the adults liking it is just them trying to keep hold of their youth.

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

VII was a better 'adult' film.  I went with my 9 year old and it was right on the edge. 

VIII is a better 'kids' film.  Obviously he's now 11, but he'd have been fine with it at 9.

But Star Wars has always been a kids film.  All the adults liking it is just them trying to keep hold of their youth.

I generally enjoy them. I went and watched the whole trilogy with my dad when I was about 10 and I have been a fan ever since. Always liked fantasy and science fiction though. The new films have kept me entertained. But I doubt I would bother with the cinema for them anymore.

I thought the Force Awakens was naff. The Last Jedi is better in my opinion.

The humour is a little daft and too frequent for my liking, but as others have alluded to, these are Children's films.

I'd recommend not reading reviews if you are interested in seeing it. Go in as clear minded as you can.

Oh, and there is a superb Cameo by one of our favourite comedians.

I shall say no more on it though.

(Of course it isn't the last Star Wars film. Are you mad???)

I thought the movie looked fantastic, quite possibly the best yet. The problem is some of the plot elements suck balls. But I'm just a cynical, fucked up, fudge packing old geek; the movie isn't really aimed at me.

It looked like Star Wars, it felt like Star Wars, there weren't any racial stereotypes or special needs characters I remember; so I enjoyed it for what is was.

Without wishing to give spoilers, I thought the scene they made using motion capture on Carrie Fisher's lifeless corpse was very impressive. And should any of you find that joke unnecessarily offensive, you know who would have laughed at it? Carrie Fisher.

Went to see it tonight, thought it was shit. 6/10. Visually nice in many parts, effects looked good, camera work good, last 1/2 hour was fucking ace.  Middle bit dragged, could do with 30-40 mins cutting out.

Characters weren't as well developed as possible as it suffered from the trying to squeeze as many things in as possible. Annoying penguin things. The rose-finn story was tedious and the mini story they were involved in was pointless and added nothing.

Luke and Rey was good, could have done with more development, Kylo Ren is the best character in this.

The Force Awakens was pretty OK considering how much was riding on it - it was a safe pair of hands type of film, Rogue One was much better, I really enjoyed that, I was pretty much involved with that.  With The Last Jedi I was just thinking 'o ffs I'm getting bored'

12 minutes ago, JFK said:

Middle bit dragged, could do with 30-40 mins cutting out.

Completely agree.

I don't really understand why so many films are hitting 150 minutes recently.

If I sit down for three hours I want to end up in a different country.

BBC Film Review - Mark Kermode gave it a really good review, even judging it as a stand alone movie, he felt it could have lost a few minutes too. Jane Hill hasn't seen it but has put it on her list. Along with everything else because she never goes to the cinema. It's a bit of a running gag with Kermode. He even picked The Unseen this week, I'm sure that's an in joke.

I didn’t think either Rogue One or Force Awakens were as shit as they potentially could have been but having seen both, probably less than a year ago, I can’t thin of anything terribly memorable from either of them.

With many current films I think there’s a pretence they’re significant but I can’t imagine them being reference, in the future, the way eighties stuff is a referenced in things like Family Guy.

Edited by SNACR

If the short-arsed green one is supposed to be the most intelligent being in the universe why does he struggle so much with sentence structure? Some kind of extra-terrestrial form of autism I guess. 

2 minutes ago, billfunk said:

If the short-arsed green one is supposed to be the most intelligent being in the universe why does he struggle so much with sentence structure? Some kind of extra-terrestrial form of autism I guess. 

He's the one that gets it right.  It is all the other idiots that jumble things up.

13 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Keep hearing folk rave about Kylo Ren. He is about as scary as my Gran.

They should have cast Bruno!

Good idea. Although I foresee an horrific light sabre accident on set.

Edited by SNACR

6 minutes ago, billfunk said:

He got all the best Poontang though. 

Hmm, use the Force did I. Force you, I did not.

5 hours ago, 201p said:

Some video blogs are saying this is the worst movie ever made.

I've not seen it, but ready to believe it might be bad.

Luke Skywalker drinks milk from the udder(?) of a big Walrus in the film. Okaaaaaay.

I've never liked the general idea that much.  Extremes of PC and implied social engineering messages mixed in with strange-ish philosophies all intermingled along with other political messaging - the messages mainly aimed at the kids.  The special effects are usually very good though and I've no doubt I'll watch this one some day.

Is save the Walrus going to be the next theme.  Maybe they're going to farm them for milk or something.

Incidentally - I'm not saying the text in the links below is correct or anything but the Walrus might seem to have some symbology of some sort.

Edited by twocents

I'm not a serious as in mentalist fan but they've (Disney) seriously fucked this up. Star Wars isn't a comedy. There should be some comedic moments but using them to dismiss poor writing is unforgivable.

I won't do spoilers but the stupid is strong in this one. It looks fucking brilliant bit it's also been through the diversity tick box and it shows. Just surprised they didn't get some trans lezziness in there.

I watched rogue one tonight and it's ace. A story of good and evil and an exploration of the need to do the latter to achieve the former. The last jedi? It shits all over it's legacy. 

Those defending it as a kids film miss the point. A new hope was a kids film but was well written and coherent with an awesome villain. This is just shit.really it's just fucking bollocks. Without spoilers it's difficult to explain but seriously the plot holes are the most interesting things about the film.

It's easy to be a knob end about this but really it's like having a wank. It's alright but you're never going to enjoy it as much as....fuck knows where this is going. See last jedi for further details.

Edited by Mental Floss
Writing in forgivable when criticising someone else's writing is well unforgivable!

8 minutes ago, Mental Floss said:

I'm not a serious as in mentalist fan but they've (Disney) seriously fucked this up. Star Wars isn't a comedy. There should be some comedic moments but using them to dismiss poor writing is in forgivable.

I won't do spoilers but the stupid is strong in this one. It looks fucking brilliant bit it's also been through the diversity tick box and it shows. Just surprised they didn't get some trans lezziness in there.

I watched rogue one tonight and it's ace. A story of good and evil and an exploration of the need to do the latter to achieve the former. The last jedi? It shits all over it's legacy. 

Those defending it as a kids film miss the point. A new hope was a kids film but was well written and coherent with an awesome villain. This is just shit.really it's just fucking bollocks. Without spoilers it's difficult to explain but seriously the plot holes are the most interesting things about the film.

It's easy to be a knob end about this but really it's like having a wank. It's alright but you're never going to enjoy it as much as....fuck knows where this is going. See last jedi for further details.

I haven't seen it yet but I wouldn't be at all surprised that there might be something approaching that implied somewhere but maybe a bit hidden even if only in the robots ;)

Edited by twocents

15 minutes ago, davidg said:

Last star wars I watched was in 1977, it had some guys fighting with fluorescent tubes and a mobile dustbin with most of the last half hour cribbed from the dam busters.

I bet Guy Gibson’s dog loved chasing those Womp Rats before the war all kicked off.

Apparently the Alt-Right have been slating it in review platforms because it is like the new Ghostbusters remake, a plie of politically correct agenda pushing shite.

Originally Boba Fett wasn't a Maori and there were no Afro-Carribean storm troopers,

They were all Clones, cloned from a white dude

Edited by WorkingPoor