• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Wife has come down with the flu and as I catch everything going it's only a matter of time until I'm on my deathbed - current estimate is Christmas Day. I had swine flu a couple of years ago and couldn't sleep for three days due to the pain and by the end of it I was coughing up blood! Seriously shitting it at the moment as the memories of the last bout are still fresh in my mind. Currently sat down waiting for the first symptom to hit - will it be a tight chest, aches, or fever?

2 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Wife has come down with the flu and as I catch everything going it's only a matter of time until I'm on my deathbed - current estimate is Christmas Day. I had swine flu a couple of years ago and couldn't sleep for three days due to the pain and by the end of it I was coughing up blood! Seriously shitting it at the moment as the memories of the last bout are still fresh in my mind. Currently sat down waiting for the first symptom to hit - will it be a tight chest, aches, or fever?

A really really hot curry now to empty your system and superboost your immune wrigglys.  Do it.

Just now, wherebee said:

A really really hot curry now to empty your system and superboost your immune wrigglys.  Do it.

I was going to get a curry tonight but settled on beans on toast - I'm doomed!

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

apparently I had flu last Christmas. Don't remember.

paracetamol, honey and lemon hot drinks with booze in it.

Is that if you've got it or to help prevent it?

I hope you don’t get it ODWC.

Approaching sixty I’ve never had flu. I’ve been in close proximity to others who have been flat out in bed with it. That’s how I know I haven’t had it. They can hardly get out of bed. Awful illness!

I suppose I’m gloating a little that I haven’t ever had flu....I always do. Hopefully my luck, whatever the cause, will continue!

9 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

I was going to get a curry tonight but settled on beans on toast - I'm doomed!

Is that if you've got it or to help prevent it?

honey is good before during and after

14 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Know how you feel. I had the swine flu when it was going the rounds few years back. Caught if off some wanker coughing everywhere on public transport last day working before Xmas. Felt closer to death for 4 days. Couldn't move out of bed. When you have SF you know its fucking swine flu.  

Edited by Green Devil

2 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

It was a good four days of peak symptoms for me too - awful experience.

There are 3 levels.

Man flu,

Flu

Swine flu. 

The first 2 are a walk in the park. The last is downright nasty!

^^^^

Above posts

Dont be too clean and try to build a good immune system.

However if around any sneezers and coughers try not to touch your eyes, ears or mouth. Easier said than done! Wash your hands well when you have been near to a sufferer.

I had proper flu over Christmas about five years ago.

Honestly, genuinely thought I was going to die. Took about six weeks before I felt normal again. I've had pneumonia and the bad flu felt worse.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.

Joy to the world, etc. 

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I had proper flu over Christmas about five years ago.

Honestly, genuinely thought I was going to die. Took about six weeks before I felt normal again. I've had pneumonia and the bad flu felt worse.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.

Joy to the world, etc. 

Wasn't that about swine flu time? Sounds like it.

I'm not sure I'd go with the curry option based on my experience. I started feeling decidedly iffy last Thursday and came home from a job early. I already had a batch of chilli ready to go and so ate that. Within an hour my guts were writhing and I spent the whole evening shitting myself inside out. I had no idea food could work its way through that fast but it can and undigested chilli burns a tender ringpiece like you can't believe. Liberally applying vaseline after each contraction barely gave any relief. On top of that I felt like I was alternately being dipped in burning napalm and then dropped in ice water.

At first I thought it was just a 24 hour bug since I felt ok the next day but then I started to feel worse again and it only really seemed to clear up by this Wednesday when I felt fine. Celebrations were premature though. I started feeling a bit iffy on Friday and in the evening, about an hour after lovely big pile of liver bacon and mash with onion gravy I made it two steps from where I type now, just far enough to grab the bin and projectile puked the whole lot up. 

It's been a couple of hours since I tried some food again and I can feel it sitting in my gut like some malevolent beast waiting to burst out from one end or the other. Now it's going to be a game of chicken since I really need to pop out for a bit this evening.

I've only just got over a bout of flu. It took two weeks. The first 9 days or so was horrible - extreme lethargy, chills, shakes etc. But what was worse was the depression and apathy which made me not want to read or watch TV, just stare into space or sleep, and a loss of appetite which made me reliant on muck like Complan to stay alive. After 9 days I started feeling a bit better but was still not back to normal and even now I don't have as much energy as I normally do. 

However I haven't had a bout of flu this bad for about 20 years so I guess I'm lucky!

4 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

I have taken Vitamin D this winter for the first time and I have managed to avoid any illness thus far.

Maybe it has helped or I have just been lucky.

Me too and 'touch-wood' it seems to be working. Just off to wash my hands after touching a hard surface - it's probably teeming with little flu germs!

1 minute ago, Austin Allegro said:

I've only just got over a bout of flu. It took two weeks. The first 9 days or so was horrible - extreme lethargy, chills, shakes etc. But what was worse was the depression and apathy which made me not want to read or watch TV, just stare into space or sleep, and a loss of appetite which made me reliant on muck like Complan to stay alive. After 9 days I started feeling a bit better but was still not back to normal and even now I don't have as much energy as I normally do. 

However I haven't had a bout of flu this bad for about 20 years so I guess I'm lucky!

Exactly how I felt! And as for Complan, I had my jaw wired for a whole month a few years back and that's all I could slurp up a straw - yuk!