• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Merry Christmas our brave lads - £1 Christmas bonus

This is just rude:

‘Not enough even for coffee’: UK troops in Afghanistan get £1 each to celebrate Christmas

As PM May praised the military for keeping the UK safe in her Christmas message, troops abroad were not exactly in a festive mood. It has emerged that 500 soldiers in Afghanistan received just £1 each to celebrate the holiday.

Five hundred British troops deployed to Afghanistan were allocated a total of just £500 ($700) for Christmas, the Sunday Times revealed.  Some said the defense chiefs’ frugality left the troops lagging far behind their foreign counterparts as soldiers from the  American contingent reportedly received eight Christmas trees, decorations, turkeys, numerous gifts, and even a copy of the new Star Wars film. 

https://www.rt.com/uk/414103-uk-troops-afghanistan-christmas/

Soldiers (as opposed to officers) are in the same bracket as nurses and care workers. Praised to high heaven by politicians whilst being paid a pittance and treated poorly.

Everyone appreciates them and values them except their paymasters who treat them like Tesco temps.

Ahh but some coke snorting red glasses wearing type, and the ex Colonel working at the agency, have got 500k

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42469901

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is just rude:

‘Not enough even for coffee’: UK troops in Afghanistan get £1 each to celebrate Christmas

As PM May praised the military for keeping the UK safe in her Christmas message, troops abroad were not exactly in a festive mood. It has emerged that 500 soldiers in Afghanistan received just £1 each to celebrate the holiday.

Five hundred British troops deployed to Afghanistan were allocated a total of just £500 ($700) for Christmas, the Sunday Times revealed.  Some said the defense chiefs’ frugality left the troops lagging far behind their foreign counterparts as soldiers from the  American contingent reportedly received eight Christmas trees, decorations, turkeys, numerous gifts, and even a copy of the new Star Wars film. 

https://www.rt.com/uk/414103-uk-troops-afghanistan-christmas/

Soldiers (as opposed to officers) are in the same bracket as nurses and care workers. Praised to high heaven by politicians whilst being paid a pittance and treated poorly.

Everyone appreciates them and values them except their paymasters who treat them like Tesco temps.

Nope.

Nurses do very well.

Care workers dont, but are paid hourly.

Squaddies dont. All hse and work reg are thrown out of window.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Ahh but some coke snorting red glasses wearing type, and the ex Colonel working at the agency, have got 500k

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42469901

Nope.

Nurses do very well.

Care workers dont, but are paid hourly.

Squaddies dont. All hse and work reg are thrown out of window.

I suppose I was thinking of those in London and the SE l; the public sector racket that rejects regional pay means that a nurse in a cheap area does very nicely indeed thank you.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I suppose I was thinking of those in London and the SE l; the public sector racket that rejects regional pay means that a nurse in a cheap area does very nicely indeed thank you.

Its not just nurses.

Normal xmas drinks with partners teacher work mates.

Fir their education levels -which are laughable bad - teachers do very well.

I had 3 ' Ill quit and earn double in the private sector' pitches.

Now, if anyone knows of a job thatll pay over 60k to someone with a crap degree in geography and offers a non contrib pension scheme and 12weeks holiday.

For the skills, a lot of public sector pay is way out of kilter. Idiot Briwn again.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Its not just nurses.

Normal xmas drinks with partners teacher work mates.

Fir their education levels -which are laughable bad - teachers do very well.

I had 3 ' Ill quit and earn double in the private sector' pitches.

Now, if anyone knows of a job thatll pay over 60k to someone with a crap degree in geography and offers a non contrib pension scheme and 12weeks holiday.

For the skills, a lot of public sector pay is way out of kilter. Idiot Briwn again.

The teacher's pension isn't non contributory. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

The teacher's pension isn't non contributory. 

Ok, my mistaje.

Its a PAYG scheme.

TPS fascinates me. Id love to see some serious snalysis of it.

Theres no assets in it. Money goes in, money goes out.

There were dome big reforms in 2007 - so that would be Btown related - pension age moved to 65 for new joiners.

I wonder what bit of doomsday document was put in front of him.

The problem is that they've completely fucked up work and reward in the country.

50 year old seniorish nurses with 30 years of inflation-plus-a-bit wage increases, fat pension, bigish house paid off -- they're retiring early because they're sufficiently well off.  Then there are the 25 year old new entrants -- pension is irrelevant, wages suppressed, debt to be paid off, houses unaffordable, workload crap.

And this is repeated across all sorts of jobs, up and down the isles.

There is no easy solution now. 

They can't just increase wages as those that have seen years of benefit have already got too much -- or, at least, you don't make the younger ones feel relatively wealthier as the older ones (getting the same wage rises) are then going on about their new car or their cruise or whatever, which is just continuing the feeling that you're relatively hard done by -- which is all that matters, really.

They can't reduce house prices (or let it happen), as if there's one thing that is really understood it's that you can let people dream about having something and have those dreams shatter, but you can never take something away from someone that they've 'deserved'.

They can't just shove benefits at people as it merely raises the wealth-floor that then increases house prices etc which doesn't help either.

Stupid buggers.

Anyway, about the squaddies.  They do okay.  I wouldn't want to be one, but it still is a good career for someone that is willing to work hard and do what they're told.  Nevertheless, £1 each seems a bit stingy -- I suppose you might say 'what would you like to spend on them' -- just how many Christmas trees and tinsel could you get them?  (this isn't their bonus -- it is the 'Christmas party' budget).

[I'd prefer their Christmas present would be for them to just come home from these pointless campaigns in hellholes]

15 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Ok, my mistaje.

Its a PAYG scheme.

TPS fascinates me. Id love to see some serious snalysis of it.

Theres no assets in it. Money goes in, money goes out.

There were dome big reforms in 2007 - so that would be Btown related - pension age moved to 65 for new joiners.

I wonder what bit of doomsday document was put in front of him.

I believe Teachers' Pensions changed to be paid from same age as state pension in 2015 for new starters. There were also other changes made then. For new starters the scheme is not such a great deal any more  so taking away the most major benefit for teachers in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

I believe Teachers' Pensions changed to be paid from same age as state pension in 2015 for new starters. There were also other changes made then. For new starters the scheme is not such a great deal any more  so taking away the most major benefit for teachers in my opinion. 

No. Bit changes werd in 2007.

Its still a good pension but youll have to make the full contributions.

The problem with the TPS is there were loads of teachers pensioned off with 'ill health ' in their 40s, all of which carried on living for another 40-50 years.

I appriate people get ill and need to retire early. But the payout needs capping - say 10 years.

7 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Big changes in military pension took place in 2015. Much less favourable than the previous scheme. 

1 minute ago, The Generation Game said:

Big changes in military pension took place in 2015. Much less favourable than the previous scheme. 

To be honest, mil pension is one of theasons why uk mil is fucked.

It pays out a lot at a young age.

Maybe the worlds mil super power will be the one smart enough not to run up large pension obligations.

Just now, spygirl said:

Maybe the worlds mil super power will be the one smart enough not to run up large pension obligations.

Oh indeed. I know one person who has left this year, he's got shit loads of money, huge pension, and they've paid for his training for his new career. 
He's only early 30s. 

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

To be honest, it was one of the major reasons that I joined up (not that I will now receive one). That and the propensity for airfields to be situated in low density, rural areas with cheap/subsidised accommodation. 

Plan B is now emigrating. 

Edited by The Generation Game

7 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

To be honest, it was one of the major reasons that I joined up (not that I will now receive one). That and the propensity for airfields to be situated in low density, rural areas with cheap/subsidised accommodation. 

Plan B is now Plan A? It is for me; I intend to be the most transient being on earth following the sunshine and while at the same time avoiding the hotspots. 3 month travel visas 2-3 countries a year. A work colleague (60 this year - properly retired at 55 (yes Civil Service Pension/Payoff) spends the winter in Pattaya for ~£1,200p/month which covers everything, flights, accommodation, booze, burds, food - times it nicely with the trough in the pub trade after Christmas. Went out there for 6 weeks in October/November too. 

6 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Plan B is now Plan A? It is for me; I intend to be the most transient being on earth following the sunshine and while at the same time avoiding the hotspots. 3 month travel visas 2-3 countries a year. A work colleague (60 this year - properly retired at 55 (yes Civil Service Pension/Payoff) spends the winter in Pattaya for ~£1,200p/month which covers everything, flights, accommodation, booze, burds, food - times it nicely with the trough in the pub trade after Christmas. Went out there for 6 weeks in October/November too. 

It certainly is now plan A. Meeting some bloke from the local university in a few days to see how the system works out here. He also has some nice contacts in industry (places like Škoda) so will put some feelers out (I will have limited options due to my lack of local language skills but employment levels here are high and housing is relatively affordable). 

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is just rude:

Regardless of pay or pensions it is a pretty miserly way too treat troops far from home at Christmas. 

7 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Regardless of pay or pensions it is a pretty miserly way too treat troops far from home at Christmas. 

Oh its total cuntish.

Id have chucked out £50/h.

Only 2 cans or 2 shorts mind.

If its any worse, my cousins prison meal was ok but one can of 0.0000005% lager, which he swapped.

9 minutes ago, Lone Lurker said:

It's a bloody disgrace >:(

To put it in perspective Christmas gift boxes sent to British soldiers in the Great War contained things like cigarettes and chocolates that would cost £10-15 today and there were over 2 million of those produced. 

Edited by Virgil Caine

3 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

To put it in perspective Christmas gift boxes sent to British soldiers in the Great War contained things like cigarettes and chocolates that would cost £10-15 today and there were over 2 million of those produced. 

All spent of yhe armies outreach to the lgtsbg community.

Rainbow coloured tanks at pride festivals dont come cheap.

2 hours ago, dgul said:

The problem is that they've completely fucked up work and reward in the country.

50 year old seniorish nurses with 30 years of inflation-plus-a-bit wage increases, fat pension, bigish house paid off -- they're retiring early because they're sufficiently well off.  Then there are the 25 year old new entrants -- pension is irrelevant, wages suppressed, debt to be paid off, houses unaffordable, workload crap.

And this is repeated across all sorts of jobs, up and down the isles.

There is no easy solution now. 

They can't just increase wages as those that have seen years of benefit have already got too much -- or, at least, you don't make the younger ones feel relatively wealthier as the older ones (getting the same wage rises) are then going on about their new car or their cruise or whatever, which is just continuing the feeling that you're relatively hard done by -- which is all that matters, really.

They can't reduce house prices (or let it happen), as if there's one thing that is really understood it's that you can let people dream about having something and have those dreams shatter, but you can never take something away from someone that they've 'deserved'.

They can't just shove benefits at people as it merely raises the wealth-floor that then increases house prices etc which doesn't help either.

Stupid buggers.

Anyway, about the squaddies.  They do okay.  I wouldn't want to be one, but it still is a good career for someone that is willing to work hard and do what they're told.  Nevertheless, £1 each seems a bit stingy -- I suppose you might say 'what would you like to spend on them' -- just how many Christmas trees and tinsel could you get them?  (this isn't their bonus -- it is the 'Christmas party' budget).

[I'd prefer their Christmas present would be for them to just come home from these pointless campaigns in hellholes]

Then TSPTB (the stingy powers that be - stingy doesn't begin to describe it) can get them ready to fight the IS fighters that the political imbeciles have allowed into the UK and the EU.

Next Bercow will be whinging on again about how he has to survive on rations.

2 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

Everything else is now so shit that I still believe joining the navy will be better for my lad than most other options