• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Hopeful

Brexit, what will you miss? Seriously.

Recommended Posts

I have been thinking about this.

The best I can come up with are:

Perhaps the freedom of movement to live in any EU country as an escape from the UK. But I doubt I'd take it up as I don't really like Europe in any case, and the country I'd really want to move to won't let me in as I'm both too old and don't have enough cash.

Perhaps the loss of the EHIC card

Perhaps, the loss of the 5-yr consumer protection on goods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its doesn't affect me as a British/Irish dual national.

As for travelling to Europe for all intents and purposes you need a passport anyway.

Brits lived in and travelled to Europe before the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Knock Out Johnny said:

Nope not playing

Trying my hardest to not be a prick today. 

Sorry to all. Have a nice day. 

Partial hat tip for inspiring the thread though, although the colleagues (loose) in my discipline were the real inspiration through their childish tweets on Twitter today.

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only ever wanted better trading opportunities (aka the Common Market - I never voted for global freedom of mass movement to the eu or loss of sovereignty) but when it transpired that it was going to transition into a union that turned into a hope and expectation that good eu governance would replace rubbish UK governance.   The brochure would become the reality.

It quickly became evident that wasn't the case and it was even worse and also uncontrollable as especially evidenced by events in the past few years with Merkel making crazy decisions off her own bat.

So I think I'll miss the expectation that the governance was going to be better but to be fair that expectation vanished some years ago even before the madness of Merkel's recent policies.

 

Edited by twocents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Until they are gone you will still have them, do you know something that no one else knows ?

Yes, the pitch to the public was about soverignty etc but the real aim is to cut EU red tape for businesses and turn the clock back on employment rights, then flood in loads of indian and chinese cheap labour now that the EE's have wised up to being treated as low wage slaves 

Im happy with brexit i want the whole country shaken up and the status quo reversed, i want to see the vested interests eating grass at the side of the road and ultimatley mass countrywide sustained peaceful protests by millions when the obvious betrayal becomes clear. 

#MerryChristmas

Edited by WorkingPoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Yes, the pitch to the public was about soverignty etc but the real aim is to cut EU red tape for businesses and turn the clock back on employment rights, then flood in loads of indian and chinese cheap labour now that the EE's have wised up to being treated as low wage slaves 

Im happy with brexit i want the whole country shaken up and the status quo reversed, i want to see the vested interests eating grass at the side of the road and ultimatley mass countrywide sustained peaceful protests by millions when the obvious betrayal becomes clear. 

We had better employment rights prior to the EU. Each occupation had its own employment rules regarding pay, promotion, responsibilities, holidays, working hours, overtime etc.  By law, these had to be displayed in the staff room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, One percent said:

We had better employment rights prior to the EU. Each occupation had its own employment rules regarding pay, promotion, responsibilities, holidays, working hours, overtime etc.  By law, these had to be displayed in the staff room. 

They EU did a heck if alot for agency workers thing like this is what they want to get out of, so they can flood in Indians (& chinese) the work visas for india have already been agreed by TM with india on the recent "trade mission"

We will go from EE flood to indian and chinese flood

 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

They EU did a heck if alot for agency workers thing like this is what they want to get out of, so they can flood in Indians (& chinese) the work visas for india have already been agreed by TM with india on the recent "trade mission"

We will go from EE flood to indian and chinese flood

 

What have they done ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

What have they done ?

Lots of erm.... "stuff"

Agency workers directive springs to mind, same pay and conditions / given option to go perm at 12wks etc etc at the mo they are having to cycle EE's on 10 wk turnarounds to circumvent

Edited by WorkingPoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

They EU did a heck if alot for agency workers thing like this is what they want to get out of, so they can flood in Indians (& chinese) the work visas for india have already been agreed by TM with india on the recent "trade mission"

We will go from EE flood to indian and chinese flood

 

Before the eu, we had no such thing as agency work and zero hour contracts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Before the eu, we had no such thing as agency work and zero hour contracts. 

Things wont get better for the man in the street employment wise, only worse.

Thats why id rather cut straight to the peaceful protests

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Lots of erm.... "stuff"

I have worked through agencies since the late 80`s i see nothing ,the only thing i can think of is the 55 hours working directive which was/is always signed away when the employment started

I think you know as well as i do (we work in similar trades ? ) the minute you start playing those cards you are no longer required ,especially so when theres a que of people waiting to step into your shoes  

Edited by Long time lurking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Things wont get better for the man in the street employment wise, only worse.

Thats why id rather cut straight to the peaceful protests

 

The eu is a side show in this. It has always been a simple struggle between capital and labour. 

Im not sure peaceful protest will solve anything. It will have to get really nasty before capital gives anything to ordinary people 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well im sure there is an ulterior motive behind extracting from the EU and i suspect it involves watering down employment rights and going all modern day dickensian 

Wheres the next cheap labour flood coming from? That should be the question

Edited by WorkingPoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.