• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
M S E Refugee

Popular films you have never seen.

I have a very short attention span so I probably watch 2 or 3 films per year.

Consequently I have't watched many popular films such as The Goonies,E.T,Back to the Future etc.

Yesterday I sat through Home Alone for the first time and really can't understand what the fuss was about,very average film.

I can see how work dried up for Macaulay Culkin his acting was terrible in Home Alone.

53 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

Consequently I have't watched many popular films such as The Goonies,E.T,Back to the Future etc.

Yesterday I sat through Home Alone for the first time and really can't understand what the fuss was about,very average film.

I can see how work dried up for Macaulay Culkin his acting was terrible in Home Alone.

It is a children's fantasy film. When/if adults wax lyrical about it, they're talking about their childhood.

Same for many films (your listed 3, Star Wars, etc).

Edited by dgul

1 hour ago, M S E Refugee said:

I couldn't even tell you what I've missed or what's popular.

Probably been to a mainstream cinema < 10 times in > 50 years. Visited art cinemas probably < 50 times. Haven't had a TV for > 25 years.

We do have a home cinema but don't often watch 'Hollywood' films. The film we watched last week was The Foreigner (Jackie Chan) which we enjoyed a lot. No idea if it's popular though or would be classed as Hollywood.

Edited by Hopeful

Spooky this thread pops-up on the very day I finally watched (some) of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" - a film I'd somehow missed over the last 30-odd years.

Mrs XYY had the TV remote, and found it showing on Freesat somewhere between the fishing and the Welsh channel.

"Ohhh, you'll like this if you haven't seen it!" She said - and so we settled down to watch it.

What a bag of complete and utter shite.

I can forgive that - for if we all liked the same things, then life would be pretty boring.

But being totally derivative of The Blues Brothers - one of the finest films of all time - is something I cannot forgive.

Total pants.

Bailed-out before the end...

XYY

Only saw Gravity a few days ago - how was Clooney's character a commander of a space mission but, at his age, still only a lieutenant?

Not seen the latest Star Wars ones. Missed most of the Marvel stuff over recent years. Have given the Transformers one a miss also apart from the first which I saw on the TV. Stopped watching the Mission Impossible ones after the third one.

I have only ever seen the last 30 or 40 minutes of Titanic - entirely by accident I appear to channel hop to it just as the stern breaks off.

Most films I will only watch when they turn up on the TV. Can't be bothered with the Apes' films. People seem to rave about Interstellar but I can't be bothered to watch it.

I find a lot of modern films to be very disappointing. Either they are incredibly dumbed down or they have endings that will not upset the millenials. Sci Fi films especiaally seem to be enormous style over substance - which disappoints me as I am a Sci Fi fan.

Political correctness also puts me off. I am pretty sure that one reason why Game of Thrones is so successful if the complete lack of political correctness.

7 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

Rocky (any of them)

Titanic

Forest Gump

Godfather (any of them)

:)

Oh dear.

I own either DVD or Bluray versions of every one of those films.

3D versions in the case of two of them.

Don't think me and you will be bumping into each other in the cinema foyer any time soon Fozzie...! ;)

If it does ever happen - then the hot-dogs are on me mate. :)

Like I said in a previous post - life would be boring if we all liked the same things...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

The thing to remember about modern Hollywood films is that they're made to appeal to the people who go to the cinema.

That's mostly kids and teenagers.

The reason you don't like them is because they're not made for you. They're expertly crafted to appeal to people who see the world very differently.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Only saw Gravity a few days ago - how was Clooney's character a commander of a space mission but, at his age, still only a lieutenant?

Not seen the latest Star Wars ones. Missed most of the Marvel stuff over recent years. Have given the Transformers one a miss also apart from the first which I saw on the TV. Stopped watching the Mission Impossible ones after the third one.

I have only ever seen the last 30 or 40 minutes of Titanic - entirely by accident I appear to channel hop to it just as the stern breaks off.

Most films I will only watch when they turn up on the TV. Can't be bothered with the Apes' films. People seem to rave about Interstellar but I can't be bothered to watch it.

I find a lot of modern films to be very disappointing. Either they are incredibly dumbed down or they have endings that will not upset the millenials. Sci Fi films especiaally seem to be enormous style over substance - which disappoints me as I am a Sci Fi fan.

Political correctness also puts me off. I am pretty sure that one reason why Game of Thrones is so successful if the complete lack of political correctness.

Agree with all that aside from Interstellar, which I thought was fantastic. I find TV such as GoT quite distasteful, it is sadistic and cruel with very few redeeming characters. Puzzles me how President Trump gets such grief when millions of people settle down to watch rape, torture and degradation of women on their TVs every night. Most of my TV now is on demand which makes me more selective I find.

4 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

Agree with all that aside from Interstellar, which I thought was fantastic. I find TV such as GoT quite distasteful, it is sadistic and cruel with very few redeeming characters. Puzzles me how President Trump gets such grief when millions of people settle down to watch rape, torture and degradation of women on their TVs every night. Most of my TV now is on demand which makes me more selective I find.

Another reason I don't watch many films or TV is down to the amount of violence most of it seems to be gratuitous.

It's strange that TV companies shield us from graphic images in news bulletins but are quite happy to show this in dramas and films.

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Spooky this thread pops-up on the very day I finally watched (some) of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" - a film I'd somehow missed over the last 30-odd years.

Mrs XYY had the TV remote, and found it showing on Freesat somewhere between the fishing and the Welsh channel.

"Ohhh, you'll like this if you haven't seen it!" She said - and so we settled down to watch it.

What a bag of complete and utter shite.

I can forgive that - for if we all liked the same things, then life would be pretty boring.

But being totally derivative of The Blues Brothers - one of the finest films of all time - is something I cannot forgive.

Total pants.

Bailed-out before the end...

XYY

I’ve seen it nine times.

3 hours ago, Fossildog said:

Men are mutilated, tortured, degraded and murdered on GoT.

5 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

ET

Gone with the Wind

Notting Hill

Love Actually 

all of the Rocky films

You need to reconsider 

Rocky and godfather 1+2 are fantastic 

I've seen 24 on that list. The other 76 I've either walked out of or have no desire to see.

And of the 24 I wish I hadn't with about 6 of them. 

I like movies. Usually with these type of lists I have a hit rate up in the 80-90 %s but not that pile of shite. So, they dont reckon much on movies like, Casablanca or Miracle on 34th street or Forbidden Planet or....  etc? Total non list made by someone who doesn't know much about movies, IMO. ETA just realised of the 2000s, silly me, but still, I'm sure there's plenty of better movies than most of what's on that list.

8 minutes ago, Malthus said:

You need to reconsider 

Rocky and godfather 1+2 are fantastic 

+1 (no reps left)

Edited by Melchett

4 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

Another reason I don't watch many films or TV is down to the amount of violence most of it seems to be gratuitous.

It's strange that TV companies shield us from graphic images in news bulletins but are quite happy to show this in dramas and films.

Agreed. I've got no idea whatsoever, how watching somebody get tortured is entertainment. 

3 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

Agreed. I've got no idea whatsoever, how watching somebody get tortured is entertainment. 

It's to make you feel better when the tortured get revenge. Silly.

42 minutes ago, NTB said:

Of this 100

http://www.listchallenges.com/100-greatest-movies-of-the-2000s

I've seen Shrek, The Hurt Locker, Donny Darko and the two Kill Bill films. None at the cinema and Shrek only because the wife wanted it on DVD for a present.

I've seen 27 of them.

And bits of at least 5 more until I bailed-out. Both "Kill Bill" movies are included in that total.

And I can only think of two or three I would watch again.

Bag of shite...

XYY