• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Question for geeks: Apple iPad Pro. Worth it?

Recommended Posts

As per. My iPad is so old it will no longer update. I would like to use it as a mobile office. It has my diary on it. However, I find it now incredibly laggy so difficult to do word docs on it.  

I need to sometimes add diagrams to reports, not technical but rough sketches. I find that the iPad doesn't really do pen function. 

I have a laptop with touch screen and drawing capabilities. However, on windows 10, it is nowhere near as good as the old xp  capabilities I had on my original tablet laptop thingy. 

So, is an iPad Pro going to offer what I want or be another technological disappointment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m typing this on an iPad Pro. Keyboard is useful, for emails, never used the pencil beyond playing sudoku and signing a handful of online forms. It is definitely not a laptop replacement though - it is basically a giant iPhone and I don’t really like it as much as the original iPad. 

The main reason I have one is to have something bigger than a phone that I can just switch on with no booting up and proper mobile internet without tethering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SNACR said:

I’m typing this on an iPad Pro. Keyboard is useful, for emails, never used the pencil beyond playing sudoku and signing a handful of online forms. It is definitely not a laptop replacement though - it is basically a giant iPhone and I don’t really like it as much as the original iPad. 

The main reason I have one is to have something bigger than a phone that I can just switch on with no booting up and proper mobile internet without tethering.

Cheers snacky. It's the pencil for taking rough drawings that would persuade me I think. 

Do you get any laggyness with it?  (Current iPad can be almost unusable at times) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a business use (presumably).  Just work out if it gives you a decent increase in productivity and then go for it.  I suppose give Surface a trial as well, but don't sweat it.

Once you factor in an increased productivity (or even maintained productivity given that your current tech isn't working) then it is best just to move. 

If you factor in time spent faffing reading reviews etc you'll realise that it just increases the 'cost' of the decision-making with no real return on that time-invested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dgul said:

It is a business use (presumably).  Just work out if it gives you a decent increase in productivity and then go for it.  I suppose give Surface a trial as well, but don't sweat it.

Once you factor in an increased productivity (or even maintained productivity given that your current tech isn't working) then it is best just to move. 

If you factor in time spent faffing reading reviews etc you'll realise that it just increases the 'cost' of the decision-making with no real return on that time-invested.

Cheers dgul.  Business use paid for out of my own pocket. o.O  the joys of the public sector. 

More importantly, it will be my main interface with dosbods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Reebo said:

I generally don't buy apple stuff as I'm not a fonboi. Maybe try a Samsung note?

IMO it is just the factor of how your workflow works.

If Apply works to make you more efficient, then use Apple.  If Samsung works better, use Android.

The problems start when you make decisions like this based on ideological reasons.

[I don't use Apple, but that is because they're a real pain to do the sort of stuff I do.  If they worked better I'd use them.]

Edited by dgul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If what you want is a tablet that works well as a tablet get an iPad nothing else comes close. No-one is ‘winning’ with the alternatives. Windows based offerings, in particular, you’ll be  constantly jabbing the screen wondering why nothing’s happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dgul said:

If you factor in time spent faffing reading reviews etc you'll realise that it just increases the 'cost' of the decision-making with no real return on that time-invested.

I definitely suffer from "paralysis by analysis" over even the tiniest purchasing decisions. I always think I'll find one a few pence cheaper from a different Aliexpress seller. The problem is, I generally do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SNACR said:

If what you want is a tablet that works well as a tablet get an iPad nothing else comes close. No-one is ‘winning’ with the alternatives. Windows based offerings, in particular, you’ll be  constantly jabbing the screen wondering why nothing’s happening. 

I could never achieve anything of any consequence on a tablet. Even a laptop would be marginal. My Dell Windows 7 desktop, that I bought refurbished for £80 five years ago, on the other hand..... what a trusty servant that has been.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers all, helpful comments. Captain indecisive I am when it comes to stuff like this. 

I think I need to stick with the iPad in some form as I'm invested in the thing, having used it for years. The issue is whether to go cheap or get the pro.  The biggest disappointment of my current crapple device is the lack of pen functionality. I think the pro gives this. But it may just be a matter of advertisement over functionality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eight said:

I could never achieve anything of any consequence on a tablet. Even a laptop would be marginal. My Dell Windows 7 desktop, that I bought refurbished for £80 five years ago, on the other hand..... what a trusty servant that has been.  

I know what you mean. For me it's:

PC : Games, work, entertainment.

Laptop: As above, but sat on the sofa, not much games though.

Tablet: Bedtime porn or Amazon Netflix viewing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, dgul said:

It is a business use (presumably).  Just work out if it gives you a decent increase in productivity and then go for it.  I suppose give Surface a trial as well, but don't sweat it.

Once you factor in an increased productivity (or even maintained productivity given that your current tech isn't working) then it is best just to move. 

If you factor in time spent faffing reading spy's illiterate ramblings etc you'll realise that it just increases the 'cost' of the decision-making with no real return on that time-invested.

Amended to be relevant to dosbods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One percent said:

Cheers all, helpful comments. Captain indecisive I am when it comes to stuff like this. 

I think I need to stick with the iPad in some form as I'm invested in the thing, having used it for years. The issue is whether to go cheap or get the pro.  The biggest disappointment of my current crapple device is the lack of pen functionality. I think the pro gives this. But it may just be a matter of advertisement over functionality. 

There’s various Youtube vids of people using them impressively to take notes etc. But I’m not sure it’s not just for the sake of it. I don’t really find the use for it. I fantasised I might also use it for planning out all sorts of hobby type projects but I totally ignored the issue that I never, ever plan anything on paper and just make it all up as I go along. Boatbuilding, shopfitting, construction, or whatever, I just get the materials in roughly the right size and quantity then make it up as I go along. Might be useful if you have documents you want to quickly annotate, or something.

If, like me you never have less than eleventy billion browser tabs open whilst you carry out a cold case review, of a seventies serial killer, post on a dozen Internet forums, research the history of British car suspension design, browse spanner auctions on ebay and watch another amateur video recording of an Aston Martin factory tour, in the eighties, then you probably need the pro - worth it for the keyboard and charging dock alone I think really also - although it only improves email replies and forum post speed, you’re not going to want to type much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SNACR said:

There’s various Youtube vids of people using them impressively to take notes etc. But I’m not sure it’s not just for the sake of it. I don’t really find the use for it. I fantasised I might also use it for planning out all sorts of hobby type projects but I totally ignored the issue that I never, ever plan anything on paper and just make it all up as I go along. Boatbuilding, shopfitting, construction, or whatever, I just get the materials in roughly the right size and quantity then make it up as I go along. Might be useful if you have documents you want to quickly annotate, or something.

If, like me you never have less than eleventy billion browser tabs open whilst you carry out a cold case review, of a seventies serial killer, post on a dozen Internet forums, research the history of British car suspension design, browse spanner auctions on ebay and watch another amateur video recording of an Aston Martin factory tour, in the eighties, then you probably need the pro - worth it for the keyboard and charging dock alone I think really also - although it only improves email replies and forum post speed, you’re not going to want to type much.

Are you me, but with more cash?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/12/2017 at 12:26, SNACR said:

If what you want is a tablet that works well as a tablet get an iPad nothing else comes close. No-one is ‘winning’ with the alternatives. Windows based offerings, in particular, you’ll be  constantly jabbing the screen wondering why nothing’s happening. 

Don’t fully agree with that..  my wife has an iPad Air 2,  I have a cheap Samsung android tablet.  Functionally no much difference..  main thing I notice is the apple has better speakers.  On the other hand the Samsung takes a 128gb SD card which you can just stick in a pc and transfer stuff.

Kids just dropped the iPad knocking out a couple of the backlight leds,  apple geniuses say they can’t fix it..  back street bloke can put in a non-authentic screen for £200.   I could almost buy two of the Samsung’s for the same price as the replacement apple screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DTMark said:

A bit of a key question perhaps - do you need to be able to print anything from it ;)

Have access to three printers. It prints to one of them. 

 

 

Thanks for the advice all. However, I'm no wiser other than I've found out how much a Microsoft surface pro is. Eye watering. 

Im going to try and use my tablet pc for work, supplemented with my phone for quick access to my calendar. 

For information, the laptop is a Lenovo thinkpad yoga so should be able to do anything a surface pro can. The area where it isn't as good as the iPad is the instant on. It's quick to turn on but not instant 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Have access to three printers. It prints to one of them. 

 

 

Thanks for the advice all. However, I'm no wiser other than I've found out how much a Microsoft surface pro is. Eye watering. 

Im going to try and use my tablet pc for work, supplemented with my phone for quick access to my calendar. 

For information, the laptop is a Lenovo thinkpad yoga so should be able to do anything a surface pro can. The area where it isn't as good as the iPad is the instant on. It's quick to turn on but not instant 

The Surface Pro is nice ergonomically but as scuppered on the repair front as new MacBooks - for a portable device that isn't exactly cheap to replace I'd avoid.  From the Ifixit video I posted the other day the HP Elite 2 comes recommended on that front.  Does your Yoga have the Wacom Digitizer/Pen?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.