• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

New Year Resolutions

I think my resolutions are to be in bed before midnight (unless doing something fun) and learn to pilot a glider. 

I stayed up until 1:30am this morning and then was too tired to do much today :( I hate the feeling you get after wasting a day :(

Not really new years resolution as I started to enact them in the autumn.

Given up an expensive and very time consuming hobby and now aim to reduce and minimise my 'stuff' (got a shed, garage and driveway dedicated to it... creeping in to the house too).

Do more things with the girlfriend, days out, go and see places even if its just walks etc.

Do a lot more biking, offroad and on, explore more of the local area. 

Edited by Northern Welsh Midlander

16 minutes ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

Not really new years resolution as I started to enact them in the autumn.

Given up an expensive and very time consuming hobby and now aim to reduce and minimise my 'stuff' (got a shed, garage and driveway dedicated to it... creeping in to the house too).

What is your hobby? Gimp? Motorsport?

Start swimming again with the view of getting fit enough to start surfing again ......the hurdle will be work if it`s anything like last year there`s not enough hours in the day or energy in my body (the last part being relative to, why he first part )

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Has to be something to do with motors , classics would be my guess

Edited by Long time lurking

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

I think my resolutions are to be in bed before midnight (unless doing something fun) and learn to pilot a glider. 

I stayed up until 1:30am this morning and then was too tired to do much today :( I hate the feeling you get after wasting a day :(

Get yourself a flying mattress (paraglider) and come join me. A passively safe sports class glider offers similar performance to the competition gliders of the past. Believe me when I tell you that a glide ratio of 10:1 is all you need. I’ve flown sailplanes (40:1) and felt completely unconnected to the air. Paragliders can take tighter cores and in the summer it’s not unusual to have the sailplanes take a wider circle around you (whilst thermalling). 

Edit: I’m the guy flying the other ship in this shot (white/yellow/black). As you can see the world looks better from this perspective. Even Telford as shown here. 

ED42B290-6BD5-4FF0-8207-CEB39849E7E2.jpeg

Edited by longtomsilver

42 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I had a heavily modified car, did track days etc and broke cars for fun/funds. Sometimes had 2/3 cars and ended up with a trailer too. Alas I took it too far and sucked most of the fun out of it. Not being able to use my garage for other things, having to spend a day moving stuff around just to try and get something done got me down. Garden took a hit too, I'll have to start afresh my war on the moss come the spring.

Lay off social media and the web.

Spend more quality time with my wife and kids and bikes.

Wank less (TBH, not a problem as I've got older, this is the one I'm pretty much guaranteed to keep).

To slightly paraphrase the rather marvellous Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in "Full Metal Jacket":

New Year resolutions are for steers and queers.

And you lot don't look much like steers to me - so that kinda narrows it down...

;)

XYY

1 minute ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

I'm going to try following more people on twitter.

You know I might try that too Beddy.

It'll stop me having to prowl the streets in the early hours of the morning looking for them...

;)

XYY

9 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

I'm going to try following more people on twitter.

Since the beginning I've only ever followed J K Rowling.

I haven't read her book or anything.

Just think she has really nice tits.

Don't do it. I originally signed up to twatter for a bit of light celebrity stalking and now I'm spending a stupid amount of time reading posts I don't much like from people I don't know.

And my original stalkee still hasn't flashed her tits at me in a PM. I'm starting to suspect it may never happen. Just stick to google images with the safe search off, mate.

Edited by Melchett

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Look at my emails more than once every 3 days as everyone thinks I'm an ignorant cunt who doesn't give a fuck...

:)

That's me.

Ignorant cunt "par excellence" - as they used to say on ships that floated into Hartlepool during the Napoleonic Wars.

Answering the most important ones - and there won't be many - after three months of ignoring them can be entertaining.

"Sorry I've been on safari in the Upper Volta for the last few months - can you please explain what this is all about...?"

Anything serious will eventually arrive through your letter-box.

Until that time - fuck 'em...!!!

;)

XYY

4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

The stopping of smoking, and the working good, hard and fast so I can so stuff other then working, eating, shitting and sleeping. 

I'm pretty much perfect in every way apart from the above, so just those two things..

I don’t buy into making new year resolutions although I did in the past and can understand the sentiment of it.

IMO people should continually work at self improvement and making positive life changes regardless of what the date is on the calendar!

My resolutions are the same as two months ago etc.

However, I do like to reminisce on new years eve and evaluate how I’ve fared on the year that has passed and consider how I might be able to make my life better.

Overall though, like Xmas day, New Year’s Day is........just another day!

Aim rather than resolution.

Speaking to a far more dedicated home brewer than myself recently he only bought beer to drink at home once last year.

That impressed me and I would like to emulate that by a combination of being more dedicated to my home brewing and having regular non-drinking periods to let the beer condition.

I also have a load of wine making kit (came with the house) and would like to try making a couple of wines to see if I like homemade as I don't like bought wines at all however pricey they may be.

4 hours ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

I had a heavily modified car, did track days etc and broke cars for fun/funds. Sometimes had 2/3 cars and ended up with a trailer too. Alas I took it too far and sucked most of the fun out of it. Not being able to use my garage for other things, having to spend a day moving stuff around just to try and get something done got me down. Garden took a hit too, I'll have to start afresh my war on the moss come the spring.

2/3 cars and a trailer, to my mind, would be like starting one of those magazine part works and stopping before the second issue.

I think I just have to accept that if I get interested in something I’m just going to want to voraciously hoover up everything that’s known about it, do it excessively and out of all proportion with how most people would do it. I’d just like it to be something that makes money as a byproduct, rather than consume it, and be perhaps in someway of benefit to mankind.

12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Aim rather than resolution.

Speaking to a far more dedicated home brewer than myself recently he only bought beer to drink at home once last year.

That impressed me and I would like to emulate that by a combination of being more dedicated to my home brewing and having regular non-drinking periods to let the beer condition.

I also have a load of wine making kit (came with the house) and would like to try making a couple of wines to see if I like homemade as I don't like bought wines at all however pricey they may be.

My late father was a home brewer. 

I think you know my relationship with booze from posts.

He made lots of wine that was ok for me as a person looking for the ethanol hit but his homemade beer with added gas really made me think....that’s very nice!

My late father wasn’t an alcoholic, IMO, but he liked a good taste in his booze. Liked malt whisky with only ice and could savour it. Sometimes he had a bad spell imbibing too much but overall he kept control.

He brewed his beer very digently in an outhouse area but attached to the house. Some kind of gas thing was put on his on tap beer delivery system. I don’t know his brewing technique.

It was bloody lovely.

I relate from the perspective of being hooked on drink....anything would do the job. My late father’s lovingly made home brew challenged me back then. It made me think that it was possible that an alcoholic drink could taste nice!

I’ve home brewed but only wine kits in five gallon containers. Taste was inconsequential in my motivation for doing it. Sometimes i did make homemade wine from berries etc and occasionally thought that’s very very nice.

IMO it’s a very nice hobby in life to home brew and enjoy a really nice drink you’ve produced yourself.

8 hours ago, sarahbell said:

I think I'm going to resolve to write more. Have a friend who wants to write together, sitcom maybe, so that.

Set it on some allotments 

Mostly fitness ones really. Drink less, in particular fewer all night benders.

Try to get into good enough shape such that I could do the entry requirements for infantry in the army.

Be able to fit in 30 inch trousers again, already nearly there, 23 or 24 BMI.

Learn Thai such that I can read newspapers and books.

Try to buy as few material things as possible.

5 hours ago, Stunley Andwin said:

Mostly fitness ones really. Drink less, in particular fewer all night benders.

Try to get into good enough shape such that I could do the entry requirements for infantry in the army.

Be able to fit in 30 inch trousers again, already nearly there, 23 or 24 BMI.

Learn Thai such that I can read newspapers and books.

Try to buy as few material things as possible.

You stay in Thailand ?