• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
man o' the year

Virus help

Sorry for this but after a hard drive went down I find that the recover software downloaded has installed a virus on computer which seems to be referred to as "newtab redirect". This has infected my chrome browser. I am usually pretty good at

1 ) not getting infected and 2 ) removing such effectively. but this one still persists.

I have scanned with malware and no program is found. editted registry to remove clear references and uninstalled and re installed chrome. Not usre if the virus is still present or whether the effect is a leagacy as it shows in new tabs but not on the first page when chrome is first opened.

Anyhelp appreciated.

6 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Sorry for this but after a hard drive went down I find that the recover software downloaded has installed a virus on computer which seems to be referred to as "newtab redirect". This has infected my chrome browser. I am usually pretty good at

1 ) not getting infected and 2 ) removing such effectively. but this one still persists.

I have scanned with malware and no program is found. editted registry to remove clear references and uninstalled and re installed chrome. Not usre if the virus is still present or whether the effect is a leagacy as it shows in new tabs but not on the first page when chrome is first opened.

Anyhelp appreciated.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/new-tab-redirect/icpgjfneehieebagbmdbhnlpiopdcmna?hl=en

Just remove it from chrome?

I see no extension.In any new tab in chrome the usual frequently visited pages have been bastardised/hijacked to pages which are nothing to do with my browsing history.As I say I suspect the virus may be gone but its effect is still present.

1 minute ago, man o' the year said:

Thanks. I didn't say but I did try this tool and it too found no program infection but also did not put the problem right.

Oh. Well you're fucked then. xD

Try uninstalling chrome, run malwarebytes to remove the orphan chrome registry entries and then close it all down, boot it up and then install chrome again.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

What recovery software do you think caused this?

Sorry I have looked back but cannot identify exactly as my browser history has gone. I had searched for software to recover .CR2 files from my canon camera. The install of the software then set up another download which had partly executed by the time I had stopped it.

I have almost all the files back now I think. I used icare recovery which I had anyway. Each type of recover scan that it does  brought back a little more. I still don't know why drive went down.