• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Is UK feet on ground retail dead?

Recommended Posts

I know I was not comment.

Now, there's a number of commentsthat can be made.

The main one being the whole head scarf thang is down to dressing modestly.

Now modest to me would be a pair of brown, flat soled brogues.

Ive seen strippers with less OTT shoes ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I know I was not comment.

Now, there's a number of commentsthat can be made.

The main one being the whole head scarf thang is down to dressing modestly.

Now modest to me would be a pair of brown, flat soled brogues.

Ive seen strippers with less OTT shoes ...

its dead simple in public its dress moderstly or feel my rath,in private he might expect her to dress up like a whore,the women on the whole are expected to please there men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think buying stuff online is so much less hassle. I keep tropical fish, there's a "pets at home" about three miles from me. If I drive there it will cost £1 in diesel and probably another £1 in wear and tear on the car. It would probably take the best part of an hour to drive there, do my shopping and drive back. Or I buy fish food online at a cheaper price....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a laptop charger arriving today from Amazon. The weather forecast was for a sunny, clear blue sky warmish day when I ordered so, rather than stay in, I got it sent to an Amazon locker 5 miles away in a Morrisons. Thought that I would have a cycle.

Wake up this morning and it is like the fecking Artic.

Should I blame Amazon for this? The Met office seem to be totally blameless re anything to do with completely wrong forecasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Underlying this story is the mad desire for endless growth and more people jammed into the country buying more that they don't need on credit but it's ok because they recycle it back to China or India who then dump it into the sea or onto a nature reserve.

Footfall down 4% is a good news story.

There's a element of this.

Tallies with my theory on the future of the South on TOS.

The great big future thang of the 80s was financial services, which appeared to offer lots of well paying jobs.

People who fialed their GCSE Maths would go and work in a shop.

Those two futures have a hit a brick internet/computer brickwall.

As well as the finance sector blowing itself up.

In that great British future of the late 80s noone seemed to realise that the banks would blow up, causing 10x damage than the Unions and lieks of Leyland ever caused.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Wait till hundreds of thousands of UK students no longer have Mum & Dad buying their smartphones, TV's and game consoles whilst they have loads of student debt and are faced with crippling high house prices.

Well more like, wait till the low eanrign potential of UK students means that their parents unfunded pensions cannot be paid....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Wait till hundreds of thousands of UK students no longer have Mum & Dad buying their smartphones, TV's and game consoles whilst they have loads of student debt and are faced with crippling high house prices.

Based upon my local experience they just won't move out for the simple reason that with local wages they can't afford to.

It's a scaled down version of how does a farm support several adult children but now with a house being the farm.

Accusations of not growing up are wide of the mark. These people may be thirty but when they're earning £18k and a small house is £200k they're stuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Based upon my local experience they just won't move out for the simple reason that with local wages they can't afford to.

It's a scaled down version of how does a farm support several adult children but now with a house being the farm.

Accusations of not growing up are wide of the mark. These people may be thirty but when they're earning £18k and a small house is £200k they're stuck.

Absolutely,  the cheapest property in my postcode, excluding retirement flats is a one bedroom flat at £195,000. My daughter won't be able to afford that, she could move away but why should she - apparently those on housing benefit shouldn't have to move to cheaper areas so why should she? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

The news claimed that 34% of us went shopping on boxing day.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo surely not.

Well ,my wife popped out to buy some crackers? I guess that sort of thing'd count for their puffed up statistics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

The news claimed that 34% of us went shopping on boxing day.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo surely not.

It said that Christmas Day had something like £1bn spent, with about £100m spent at garages and convenience stores. Is that petrol, dead flowers or milk/bisto?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

It said that Christmas Day had something like £1bn spent, with about £100m spent at garages and convenience stores. Is that petrol, dead flowers or milk/bisto?

Apparently 10,000 tax returns were filed on Christmas Day.

Mine would have been quite amusing by about 9pm.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

This is the image they have on that article.

_99368282_retail.jpg

Well to be fair that's an accurate portrayal of those who go shopping on boxing day. I know because i used to work next to Next in a large shopping centre. 90% non British in the queue at 5am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Well to be fair that's an accurate portrayal of those who go shopping on boxing day. I know because i used to work next to Next in a large shopping centre. 90% non British in the queue at 5am. 

I couldn't decide which pants to wear this morning. Then I found some that said Next, so I wore those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

I mean what exactly the fuck is the point of having core opening hours the same hours as most people work ?

I quite like the system banks, building societies, the post office and the local council has in place.

Most people seem to want to visit them in their dinner hour - sometime between 12 - 2.

So make sure most of the staff are "on lunch".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Highsteets and shops are an inherently crap idea that someone was at some point bound to invent a much more efficient replacement for, I mean what exactly the fuck is the point of having core opening hours the same hours as most people work ?. As for charging me a 30-40% markup just for being able to look at it first if I'm lucky and youve got the exact thing I want in already, really just fuck off.

I walked through Manchester's arndale a couple of mornings whilst on way to Jury duty last year. Nothing open at half nine apart from coffee shops and mini supermarkets. Stores with shutters down, staff waiting outside. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, goldbug9999 said:

Highsteets and shops are an inherently crap idea that someone was at some point bound to invent a much more efficient replacement for, I mean what exactly the fuck is the point of having core opening hours the same hours as most people work ?. As for charging me a 30-40% markup just for being able to look at it first if I'm lucky and youve got the exact thing I want in already, really just fuck off.

Made perfect sense when you had one person in a family who would be around at that time of day. 

Where I live we have a proper high street, only small but a Butchers, Bakers, Green Grocer and a Fish Mongers. Only the Fish Monger is clever enough to open on a Sunday, I suspect they do as much business on the Sunday as they would the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday combined.

They really should get themselves together and come up with a plan, late night opening on Thursday and Friday (so open at say 10 and close at 7 so only a couple of extra hours if at all), open Sunday all closed on Monday and Tuesdays. I suspect doing that they would double turn over. 

I'd shop at all of them but I don't because they are closed when I get home from work at 6. I'm normally busy on Saturday,  if I'm not I'll get a few bits in those shops.  

Demographics of the area are affluent young couples, generally both working. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.