• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
onlyme

Autonomous / Driverless Cars

Recommended Posts

Level 4 car already. Autonomous lane changing included. This Renault is Level 4 vs Tesla Level 2 currently.

One interesting side effect seems to be over long distances the perception of distance travelled is massively underestimated, on its own a major plus for any driver.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Level 4 car already. Autonomous lane changing included. This Renault is Level 4 vs Tesla Level 2 currently.

One interesting side effect seems to be over long distances the perception of distance travelled is massively underestimated, on its own a major plus for any driver.  

 

Typical dozy French bastards.

That so-called autonomous car is no good for use on UK roads.

It's left-hand drive for fuck's sake....!

;)

 

XYY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

Perhaps the driverless car will fall victim to the kind of leapfrog tech that we see so often in this part of the world:

 

https://m.phnompenhpost.com/business/driverless-hover-taxis-coming-singapore

 

My instant thought was no but a lot will depend  on price - helicopters  - well expensive, based around drone tech should be very much cheaper and suitable for mass use. Wil most likely remain a niche part though.

 

51 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

i think looking over the years at accidents and driving standards, that we already have driverless cars out there and amongst us.

Thing about driverless tech is that every iteration, every software update, the tech should become incrementally better, that is such a strong characteristic that is inevitable that driverless will become more competent/reliable in its decision making than your average driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Thing about driverless tech is that every iteration, every software update, the tech should become incrementally better, that is such a strong characteristic that is inevitable that driverless will become more competent/reliable in its decision making than your average driver.

Logically, this should be the safety acceptance criterion for driverless cars; not that they should be absolutely safe, but that they should be safer than the average human driver.

We are a long way from even that yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, onlyme said:

My instant thought was no but a lot will depend  on price - helicopters  - well expensive, based around drone tech should be very much cheaper and suitable for mass use. Wil most likely remain a niche part though.

 

Thing about driverless tech is that every iteration, every software update, the tech should become incrementally better, that is such a strong characteristic that is inevitable that driverless will become more competent/reliable in its decision making than your average driver.

What like Windows?

I'll await DriveSoft Vista with interest and trepidation!

xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

What like Windows?

I'll await DriveSoft Vista with interest and trepidation!

xD

:D One would hope that updates to driverless car software will be rolled out in a slightly better/safer way than new versions of Windows.

Perhaps they could beta test them in cities like Liverpool in order not to damage the economy too much? :ph34r:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.