• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Minimalists unite - radio programme imminent

It was surprisingly good and the calls could have come from people here.

Main themes:

Buy experiences not things

Give things away (or sell cheaply) rather than throwing them away

The best caller was the lady from IIRC Newcastle who bought everything second hand except underwear and would return clothes to the same charity shops when she wanted a change.

It also touched upon in the opening the effect upon the economy of people slashing their buying and the response was that the economy needs to change from selling things to selling experiences.

We would also add making and exporting goods and services.

It's rare for me to be so cheered by a R4 programme.

I have decluttered over the past 2 years . However, given the amount of stuff I'm carrying up to my new address I haven't decluttered enough. 9_9

I think I need to sell or give away some books . A few of those I had since Middle School nearly 30 years ago.

22 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

I have decluttered over the past 2 years . However, given the amount of stuff I'm carrying up to my new address I haven't decluttered enough. 9_9

I think I need to sell or give away some books . A few of those I had since Middle School nearly 30 years ago.

Books are indeed hard to give up.  I have settled upon a rule of two waist high bookcases and that's it, bar a couple of bedside paperbacks which I will move on when I've read.

I chopped all my Tom Sharpes and Terry Pratchetts on the grounds I'd read them all several times so whoever visited the charity shop that week would have done very well indeed.  They would have taken up a whole shelf by themselves.

At my "peak book" I had more than double what I had now and they were my big weakness; if I hadn't reined it in I would be up in the thousands now.

4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Books are indeed hard to give up.  I have settled upon a rule of two waist high bookcases and that's it, bar a couple of bedside paperbacks which I will move on when I've read.

I chopped all my Tom Sharpes and Terry Pratchetts on the grounds I'd read them all several times so whoever visited the charity shop that week would have done very well indeed.  They would have taken up a whole shelf by themselves.

At my "peak book" I had more than double what I had now and they were my big weakness; if I hadn't reined it in I would be up in the thousands now.

Parting with books is hard. I've whittled mine down to a couple of 7ft bookcases. I like to think that others are enjoying the books I have given to charity. I have started using the library again,   got an app that allows me to download ebooks and audio books from them so stops my kindle book buying addiction. 

I buy clothes from 2nd hand shops, although you have to be careful as some of shops price stock as high as new prices. 

52 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Every time I get rid of a pile of my stuff Mrs BlueCat buys a pile more of her own stuff to take its place. Bit of a losing battle really. :(

Yes, Mrs XYY is the same.

It was less than two years ago when I decided I had had enough and I was ruthless with the crap - and got shot of the lot. 23 large black sacks went down the skip.

Now it's worse than ever...

:(

XYY

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Yes, Mrs XYY is the same.

It was less than two years ago when I decided I had had enough and I was ruthless with the crap - and got shot of the lot. 23 large black sacks went down the skip.

Now it's worse than ever...

:(

XYY

It’s something to with being the one left minding the cave whilst the men went out to wrestle with sabre tooth tigers I recon.

I managed to get rid of a load of college and school notes at the local recycling centre today. Kept em all these years ' just in case'. No-one from my old educational centres asked to see them in the past 20 or so years - so into the paper bank they went. :)

Quite why I have kept 'em and carried them with me from flat to flat is beyond me.

I still have no main internet at the new place . Once I can get back online I'll start trying to flog some more shite on the Bay of e. B|