• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Melchett

An Everyday Story Of Money Talks

Sorry about the source link. Funny there's no HYS on this story.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42484987

So the World Chess authorities gave the current world championships to one of the most regressive countries in the world (a decision that is coming back now to bite them on the ass, although not nearly as much as it should). Anyone care to guess why this place was chosen?

Isnt there going to be a footie tournament in this bit of the world soon? I wonder how that's going to pan out, too, and why they chose such an unsuitable place?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By One percent
      Ok, first off, thanks to @DTMark for the title.  Got me thinking and also this article from the DM today
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6084937/SARAH-VINE-rights-one-transgender-pupil-trump-rest-schools-students.html
      After I wrote about the madness of gender-neutral toilets in last week's Mail, I received a truly extraordinary email.
      It was from a woman whose daughter is around the same age as my own (15/16) and who, like her, attends an all-girls' school in a busy metropolitan area.
      The end of the summer term had, she explained, seen the school welcome a new girl who, it quickly transpired, was not only a rather troubled individual with a history of self-harm and drug use, but also biologically male.
      This child, now self-identifying as female, was to be treated as a girl, according to their wishes, and in all aspects of school life allowed access to female-only areas, including loos and changing rooms.
      Not only did the pupils and staff have no say in the matter — the decision had been taken by the school's senior leadership team — any suggestion that there might be anything even vaguely untoward about this arrangement was met with deep disapproval and, of course, accusations of discrimination.
      what of the rights of an entire year group of teenage girls not to be watched by someone who is biologically a member of the opposite sex in the changing rooms? 
      Do they really not matter at all?  (My bold) 
      The highlighted bit is the important bit imho.  This isn’t just about gender identity but goes much wider and occurs whenever anyone screams, “but I’m entitled “. Culture, ethnicity, disability, benefits, every aspect of life.  Even down to subsidised utilities, free housing, free medical care, free disability cars. There is always a balance.  Someone gains, someone else loses through having to pay that little bit more, having a service cut to pay for it, or seeing their pension disappear in a poof of smoke. 
      Back to the original article, we talk about cultural appropriation, we’ll I feel offended (I really do) and disturbed by this as I see it as appropriation of my sex.  We have had the discussion but essentially sex is the biological stuff.  Are you born with male or female reproductive organs?  That determines your sex.  
      Then how you behave, the societal norms, those are the gender bits, the social construction of male and female. 
      I have no issue with the gender thing but the biology?  You cannot change your sex, it goes right down into your dna. 
      Yet, if some bloke decides to wear a frock, I may well find him in changing rooms, in toilets and other places I just do not want to find a bloke.  Where are my rights to object to this?  Why is my freedom curtailed because some bloke decides they want to identify as a woman?  Fine if that’s what he wants to do, but as long as it doesn’t impinge negatively on others. 
      It is this that the establishment does not grasp.  Instead of saying PPE, they would be better served by reading some philosophy, this has been thrashed out centuries ago. 
    • By Chewing Grass
      Very interesting watch, two commissioners who voted against the repeal said that this was a prime example of corruption.

• By Chewing Grass
      Just seen some photos posted by someone I follow of the new motorway being built on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean East of Madagascar.

This piqued my curiosity once again and I have found out that it is probably the most expensive motorway per metre ever built in the world and it is on a circular shaped island that is only 25 miles in diameter or roughly the size of greater manchester. This 7 mile stretch has cost 1.7 Billion Euros to build.
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/10755838/Frances-most-expensive-road-Paris-pays-1.7-billion-for-Reunion-highway.html
      Why is france so interested in spending so much money on a tiny island off one of the poorest parts of the world (Madagascar) in the middle of the vast nothingness of the Indian Ocean.
      Is Reunion the future bolt-hole for the European Elite after they have sucked Europe dry and it turns in on itself.