• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Economic Exile

Aldi Fresh Meat & Fish Reductions 30% & 50% off

A year ago an Aldi opened in my town. Great for me as I mainly buy fresh ingredients and make my own meals and particularly like Aldi meat as much of it is Scottish reared and not imported on the premise that 30? days in the country allows it to be labelled British.

Since after Christmas I've noticed increasingly that there are a lot of reduced meat and fish. Great for me....my freezer is full of half price meat and fish! I'll have to use some of it up to make room for more!

A couple of weeks ago in general chat with the checkout assistant the reason given for this was that it was trainees that were doing the ordering and getting it wrong. But, I haven't seen any new workers in the store. My understanding is that Aldi workers do a bit of everything and there's no one hiding out of sight. Is this right?

I suspect it's because of general cutting back on expenditure by the public. The only other store is a Tesco which I don't go to much because I dislike them as a company. Going by their car park which I pass often they don't look as busy as they were either, so I don't think people are flocking there.

Does anyone know if in general food retail figures are slipping down?

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

That could explain it!

I just find it odd though in a small town with only two supermarkets to choose from that these reductions have been ongoing since after Christmas.

Or maybe they send the excess to there because, for some inexplicable reason, the locals keep buying it all?!

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

Or maybe they send the excess to there because, for some inexplicable reason, the locals keep buying it all?!

Yes that's another possibility that excess product is sent from a couple of nearby town/ city Aldi stores. More chance of selling it in a town with only one other competitor perhaps! 

Apart from normal offers see very little discounting from Aldi where we do main shop so certainly don;t think it is part of their model - i.e. sell as much as you can more expensive and ensure stock then sell off. There is a lot of competition too in the area. Always seeing the managers on the floor so yes, not the layered management hidden away, however considering their growth rate then you'd expect a larger number than normal of newly trained management.

US retail looks to be on the edge, early signs that things not going too well for many names.

Car market looks fragile too in the US and huge amount of excess sales have been enabled by fresh debt.

1 minute ago, Mrs XYY said:

Mr XYY tries to make me shop in Aldi and Lidl.

But I won't.

Because I own the fanny....

Mrs XYY

Gerraway - you mortgaged that piece of real-estate years ago.

Good job the bank doesn't charge your mortgage-interest by the square-metre - or you'd be friggin' bankrupt...!

XYY

4 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Gerraway - you mortgaged that piece of real-estate years ago.

Good job the bank doesn't charge your mortgage-interest by the square-metre - or you'd be friggin' bankrupt...!

XYY

Cheeky bastard.

Mrs XYY