• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Van Lady

Aldi Fresh Meat & Fish Reductions 30% & 50% off

A year ago an Aldi opened in my town. Great for me as I mainly buy fresh ingredients and make my own meals and particularly like Aldi meat as much of it is Scottish reared and not imported on the premise that 30? days in the country allows it to be labelled British.

Since after Christmas I've noticed increasingly that there are a lot of reduced meat and fish. Great for me....my freezer is full of half price meat and fish! I'll have to use some of it up to make room for more!

A couple of weeks ago in general chat with the checkout assistant the reason given for this was that it was trainees that were doing the ordering and getting it wrong. But, I haven't seen any new workers in the store. My understanding is that Aldi workers do a bit of everything and there's no one hiding out of sight. Is this right?

I suspect it's because of general cutting back on expenditure by the public. The only other store is a Tesco which I don't go to much because I dislike them as a company. Going by their car park which I pass often they don't look as busy as they were either, so I don't think people are flocking there.

Does anyone know if in general food retail figures are slipping down?

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

That could explain it!

I just find it odd though in a small town with only two supermarkets to choose from that these reductions have been ongoing since after Christmas.

Or maybe they send the excess to there because, for some inexplicable reason, the locals keep buying it all?!

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

Or maybe they send the excess to there because, for some inexplicable reason, the locals keep buying it all?!

Yes that's another possibility that excess product is sent from a couple of nearby town/ city Aldi stores. More chance of selling it in a town with only one other competitor perhaps! 

Apart from normal offers see very little discounting from Aldi where we do main shop so certainly don;t think it is part of their model - i.e. sell as much as you can more expensive and ensure stock then sell off. There is a lot of competition too in the area. Always seeing the managers on the floor so yes, not the layered management hidden away, however considering their growth rate then you'd expect a larger number than normal of newly trained management.

US retail looks to be on the edge, early signs that things not going too well for many names.

Car market looks fragile too in the US and huge amount of excess sales have been enabled by fresh debt.

1 minute ago, Mrs XYY said:

Mr XYY tries to make me shop in Aldi and Lidl.

But I won't.

Because I own the fanny....

Mrs XYY

Gerraway - you mortgaged that piece of real-estate years ago.

Good job the bank doesn't charge your mortgage-interest by the square-metre - or you'd be friggin' bankrupt...!

XYY

4 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Gerraway - you mortgaged that piece of real-estate years ago.

Good job the bank doesn't charge your mortgage-interest by the square-metre - or you'd be friggin' bankrupt...!

XYY

Cheeky bastard.

Mrs XYY

I still have a freezer full of decent half price meat and fish. Sometimes I can’t buy reduced stuff due to no space in my freezer.

Around here half price reductions are at opening time and there is little competition to bag them. 

6 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

Was in Lidl earlier, no meat reductions at all:CryBaby:

just got me larger for tonight from there and some more beans and sausages,i noticed you can now buy loose bananas for 12p.it nealy takes the fun off stealing them from work.

In TESCO earlier stock replenishment operatives  huddled around a cage of soup.

More redundancies on the way, in addition to those mentioned on the news last week. Store Managers called to a meeting today.

Heard them talking about canteen workers that were transferred off TESCO payroll a short while ago to a different company. Now they been let go. 

Staff morale taken a dive by the sound of it.

Trouble is this spreads to other supermarkets as they try to be competitive.

Sainsbury's, ASDA, Morrisons, they all end up with agency workers on zero hour contracts.

Then go bust.

2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

In TESCO earlier stock replenishment operatives  huddled around a cage of soup.

More redundancies on the way, in addition to those mentioned on the news last week. Store Managers called to a meeting today.

Heard them talking about canteen workers that were transferred off TESCO payroll a short while ago to a different company. Now they been let go. 

Staff morale taken a dive by the sound of it.

Trouble is this spreads to other supermarkets as they try to be competitive.

Sainsbury's, ASDA, Morrisons, they all end up with agency workers on zero hour contracts.

Then go bust.

Great story bro but whats it got to do with cheap meat and fish?:Jumping:

2 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

Great story bro but whats it got to do with cheap meat and fish?:Jumping:

TESCO are closing their fresh meat, and fresh fish, counters, but keeping their fresh bakery counters.

Might be some bargains if your local TESCO is on the list.

I'm not much help, I agree.

I'm mainly a Waitrose shopper. :)

Just now, Bedrag Justesen said:

TESCO are closing their fresh meat, and fresh fish, counters, but keeping their fresh bakery counters.

Might be some bargains if your local TESCO is on the list.

I'm not much help, I agree.

I'm mainly a Waitrose shopper. :)

In this context, fresh is a relative term. 

On 25/03/2017 at 20:45, Van Lady said:

Yes that's another possibility that excess product is sent from a couple of nearby town/ city Aldi stores. More chance of selling it in a town with only one other competitor perhaps! 

Lidl do have one 'main' store amongst several in a given area where their special offers non-food goods that do not sell are sent at the end of the offer periods. I do not imagine they would do this with food though.

I have heard, generally, of managers in certain stores - any brand - that are seeing a decline in foot-fall ordering more product and discounting it just so that they can get the turn-over. Better to sell stuff at reduced costs than not at all.

Generally, I think you may be right and that people are indeed cutting back.

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Lidl do have one 'main' store amongst several in a given area where their special offers non-food goods that do not sell are sent at the end of the offer periods. I do not imagine they would do this with food though.

I have heard, generally, of managers in certain stores - any brand - that are seeing a decline in foot-fall ordering more product and discounting it just so that they can get the turn-over. Better to sell stuff at reduced costs than not at all.

Generally, I think you may be right and that people are indeed cutting back.

I occasionally buy non food stuff from Aldi but I’m very happy that for the last two years my freezer remains full with decent, IMO, half price meat and fish.

January was very good probably because a lot of folk were skint after Xmas.

Maybe it’s because I can be bothered to get up early and get to Aldi at opening time when half price stuff is on the shelves?

My daughter worked part time at the Tesco in my town six years ago while at school and before going to university and hated reduction time around 6pm. A crowd of folk hassling her to reduce it further. I’m amazed they haven’t cottoned on to early morning Aldi half price reductions. Too early for them?

Just now, Van Lady said:

I occasionally buy non food stuff from Aldi but I’m very happy that for the last two years my freezer remains full with decent, IMO, half price meat and fish.

January was very good probably because a lot of folk were skint after Xmas.

Maybe it’s because I can be bothered to get up early and get to Aldi at opening time when half price stuff is on the shelves?

My daughter worked part time at the Tesco in my town six years ago while at school and before going to university and hated reduction time around 6pm. A crowd of folk hassling her to reduce it further. I’m amazed they haven’t cottoned on to early morning Aldi half price reductions. Too early for them?

Best to keep it to yourself.

Different stores have different times and reduce to different price levels. I find M&S and The Co-Op to be the best. Sainsbury's the worst IMPO. In my local main Swansea Sainsbury's I overheard one manager laughing to a member of staff about people who were waiting for stuff to be discounted. I thought what a complete and utter... They often leave it till late to reduce and then hardly by much at all IMPO.

I rarely see food discounted in my local Aldi or Lidl as they tend to sell out of much of their produce long before any use-by dates being up. My local Tesco used to be good but no longer - hardly reduce stuff by much at all.

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

just got me larger for tonight from there and some more beans and sausages,i noticed you can now buy loose bananas for 12p.it nealy takes the fun off stealing them from work.

Perlenbacher or Rheinbacher?

I love them both with a roll up while i shout at the fucking neighbours.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Best to keep it to yourself.

Different stores have different times and reduce to different price levels. I find M&S and The Co-Op to be the best. Sainsbury's the worst IMPO. In my local main Swansea Sainsbury's I overheard one manager laughing to a member of staff about people who were waiting for stuff to be discounted. I thought what a complete and utter... They often leave it till late to reduce and then hardly by much at all IMPO.

I rarely see food discounted in my local Aldi or Lidl as they tend to sell out of much of their produce long before any use-by dates being up. My local Tesco used to be good but no longer - hardly reduce stuff by much at all.

Very true. It all depends on the area you live in and reduction times. I’m not greedy and do tell acquaintances that the local Aldi often has half price meat and fish but I never see any of them there.

There’s no fighting for it and I’m sure I’m known by the current staff as very often there for reductions.

The staff get first chance at the reductions because on opening I sometimes see them picking what they want and going back store and I have no problem with that.

Just a lucky streak for me that has lasted two years to date.

1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

Very true. It all depends on the area you live in and reduction times. I’m not greedy and do tell acquaintances that the local Aldi often has half price meat and fish but I never see any of them there.

There’s no fighting for it and I’m sure I’m known by the current staff as very often there for reductions.

The staff get first chance at the reductions because on opening I sometimes see them picking what they want and going back store and I have no problem with that.

Just a lucky streak for me that has lasted two years to date.

I've told friends about times at certain store - they look down their noses at me so I don't bother anymore.

A few months back, on a Sunday afternoon, a friend wanted a pack of ready-washed lettuce for her evening meal with a few friends. £1.50 for a pack with a few day's use-by date or, just around the corner in the discount section, a big pile of bags of them for 10p each with that day's date on - all packs looked perfectly fine. Gave me some stupid reason why she needed to pay £1.50 and she did.