• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Barlow

30GW windfarn on Dogger bank

Dogger banks ace.

Ive got various prehistoruc bones and teeth that have been netted over the years.

The island is interesting. Itll use up europes hardcore waste for a few years.

The island harbour is a good ide. Due to the shallow depth of the bank, the sea can get pretty choppy.

Heres doggers last claim to fame

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Dogger banks ace.

Ive got various prehistoruc bones and teeth that have been netted over the years.

The island is interesting. Itll use up europes hardcore waste for a few years.

The island harbour is a good ide. Due to the shallow depth of the bank, the sea can get pretty choppy.

Heres doggers last claim to fame

When I saw a documentary about it a few years ago it was the first time a realised that tuna (tunny) was actually a native fish that we had driven to extinction in our waters.

1 hour ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Tempted to post this on TOS to wind up all the fuck monkeys over there but its like tumbleweed these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/dec/29/is-this-the-future-dutch-plan-vast-windfarm-island-in-north-sea

That is massive.

The Rampion windfarm off the West Sussex coast looks pretty big to me and it produces a mere 400MW

14 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

When I saw a documentary about it a few years ago it was the first time a realised that tuna (tunny) was actually a native fish that we had driven to extinction in our waters.

They were migratory rather than native.

Tuna used to migrate from the Med to dogger to feast on herring - massive biomass of food and protien.

A combination of overfishing both herring and tuna put paid to it.

Herring is sloooooowy coming back. There are more whales and dolphins up the east coast.

If tuna fishing is banned in the med - as it should be - then well see tuna back.

There are a lot of technical challenges to be overcome. When I used to work on wind turbines ~10 years back one of the big problems was the positioning of turbines relative to one another. The wake from the first turbine affects the downstream turbines making them a lot less efficient. There were some rules of thumb for onshore turbines but they didn’t apply for offshore turbines which wanted to be much further apart increasing the cost of the wind farms substantially. Also putting the bases in was very expensive and weather dependent. 

1 minute ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

There are a lot of technical challenges to be overcome. When I used to work on wind turbines ~10 years back one of the big problems was the positioning of turbines relative to one another. The wake from the first turbine affects the downstream turbines making them a lot less efficient. There were some rules of thumb for onshore turbines but they didn’t apply for offshore turbines which wanted to be much further apart increasing the cost of the wind farms substantially. Also putting the bases in was very expensive and weather dependent. 

I think the bases will be cheaper offshore esp. on dogger which is onky a few metres deep.

Large concrete blocks are a pita on kand.

Piece of piss out at see. And the plants available fir it - oil rigs use similar bases.

25 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Herring is sloooooowy coming back. There are more whales and dolphins up the east coast.

Didn't notice any dolphins in ASDA today - but I did see plenty of whales.

Most of them driving round in them electric scooters that help them grow to full maturity...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Most of them driving round in them electric scooters that help them grow to full maturity...

XYY

Were they feasting on shoals?

3 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

And yet nature has recovered.

We led the technology then threw it away because politically it was difficult. We lost our way as a nation.

Theyve got the sums wrong with nuclear.

Oil has killed much more people - piper alpha killed more people than the entire nuckear industry.

6 hours ago, Green Devil said:

I wouldn't have any objections. Except it going to torder be owned and run by a Dutch energy company. Huh? Wouldn't it he better to build and employ our own and let the profits return home?

Hopefully Siemens in Hull can get in on the action, although it doesn't sound likely. 

15 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

You won't see many dolphins on the East Coast until the line is upgraded. Then you won't be able to get a seat because the dolphins will take them..

13 hours ago, Alonso Quijano said:

And yet nature has recovered.

We led the technology then threw it away because politically it was difficult. We lost our way as a nation.

The lifespans of short life span animals are a poor proxy for examining the effects of radiation on long life span animals (Humans)