• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Barlow

30GW windfarn on Dogger bank

3 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

? i take you did not read the link

i confess i didn't read the link as I know that story. But what should I have read in the link?

It is now illegal to land an Atlantic bluefin tuna or target them recreationally in UK waters. That fish was caught this summer before the ban came in. Any tuna caught accidentally, for example when shark fishing, can only be brought alongside the boat and released. It must not be dragged onboard for a photo.

Atlantic bluefin tuna are an IUCN red list species

Edited by Hopeful

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

i confess i didn't read the link as I know that story. But what should I have read in the link?

It is now illegal to land an Atlantic bluefin tuna or target them recreationally in UK waters. That fish was caught this summer before the ban came in. Any tuna caught accidentally, for example when shark fishing, can only be brought alongside the boat and released. It must not be dragged onboard for a photo.

Atlantic bluefin tuna are an IUCN red list species

I think you need to vent at the Japanese that are regularly off the west coast of Ireland,,i think you will find they are the Twats  

8 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I think you need to vent at the Japanese that are regularly off the west coast of Ireland,,i think you will find they are the Twats  

They have quota. ICCAT are the twats, but we are right to prohibit the catch at the moment until quotas are revised to take account of the shifting tuna distributions due to the warming N Atlantic. The Tuna disappeared from the N Sea in the 1920s due to a cooling and were replaced by cod. Cod are now departing due to a warming and will be replaced again by Tuna. We wont see Tuna in the N Sea like we did in the 19th and early 20th C though because the Atlantic population has been decimated by overfishing in the interim.

This summer there was a free for all on Tuna in our waters as 'men' got excited trying to land the biggest fish and prove themselves the biggest man.

Edited by Hopeful

7 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

They have quota. ICCAT are the twats, but we are right to prohibit the catch at the moment until quotas are revised to take account of the shifting tuna distributions due to the warming N Atlantic. The Tuna disappeared from the N Sea in the 1920s due to a cooling and were replaced by cod. Cod are now departing due to a warming and will be replaced again by Tuna. We wont see Tuna in the N Sea like we did in the 19th and early 20th C though because the Atlantic population has been decimated by overfishing in the interim.

This summer there was a free for all on Tuna in our waters as 'men' got excited trying to land the biggest fish and prove themselves the biggest man.

It`s all been going on for decades quotas mean nothing to the japs,,the damage if any done by genuine anglers is literally a drop in the ocean compared to  the damage the japs and a few rouge paddies do 

As for a free for all  i know off 4 fish landed by anglers from west wales ports (not exactly a free for all) and i know the only three skippers of angling boats licences to fish at that distance  out of those two ports Neyland /Milford 

A benefit of these wind farms is that often fishing is restricted next to them. Imho we really should have more marine parks where fishing is stopped.

Seemingly in WW2 a lot of areas were mined and fishing boats could not enter these mined areas. After WW2 there was an abundance of fish in these areas.... 

6 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

A benefit of these wind farms is that often fishing is restricted next to them. Imho we really should have more marine parks where fishing is stopped.

Seemingly in WW2 a lot of areas were mined and fishing boats could not enter these mined areas. After WW2 there was an abundance of fish in these areas.... 

Yes - the big Euro trawlers can be prohibited from the wind farm areas. What I would like to see is the UK inshore fleet allowed to line fish the wind farm areas which is far more sustainable. The wind farms also double as marine reserves.

49 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Yes - the big Euro trawlers can be prohibited from the wind farm areas. What I would like to see is the UK inshore fleet allowed to line fish the wind farm areas which is far more sustainable. The wind farms also double as marine reserves.

I think everything is  prohibited now , i know theres quite a few under ten meter boats that have held onto their licences in the hope of compensation for the planed wind farm off the coast of Swansea/Porthcawl ...but the plans  seems to have died a death along with the tidal lagoon  

Just now, Long time lurking said:

I think everything is  prohibited now , i know theres quite a few under ten meter boats that have held onto their licences in the hope of compensation for the planed wind farm off the coast of Swansea/Porthcawl ...but the plans  seems to have died a death along with the tidal lagoon  

I used to have some dealings with Eastern Seas fisheries and their marine science bods reckoned large scale wind farm developments would help the uk inshore fleet because the areas themselves act as reserves for fish to breed. Secondly the plethora of farms and cables make the big Euro klondiker trawlers unviable in our waters.

3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I used to have some dealings with Eastern Seas fisheries and their marine science bods reckoned large scale wind farm developments would help the uk inshore fleet because the areas themselves act as reserves for fish to breed. Secondly the plethora of farms and cables make the big Euro klondiker trawlers unviable in our waters.

I would not question the helping part  ,i was just responding to the big euro boats being banned from what i understand it`s all commercial boats regardless of size ,im not sure if this is/was just for the farm i mentioned or nation wide (im guessing the Bristol channel is a hostile place to guarantee the cables are going to stay covered up)

7 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

At this very moment the UK is consuming 33.1 GW... I can't help thinking this project is oversized.... Unless we can store the electricity or export it to Europe...

It's a relatively warm Saturday. On a colder day we'd be closer to 40, I reckon, 45 if it was a weekday, and peak loads are 50-55GW on cold weekday evenings. I doubt that they'll build a 30GW link to the UK in any case, as LTL says the plan is to link it to Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark and (IIRC) Sweden as well.

However storage is key. Germany are already causing a measure of chaos in the market in Northern Europe by generating a surplus of wind and solar on some days, which they then have to dump on the rest of northern Europe.

1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

It`s all been going on for decades quotas mean nothing to the japs,,the damage if any done by genuine anglers is literally a drop in the ocean compared to  the damage the japs and a few rouge paddies do 

As for a free for all  i know off 4 fish landed by anglers from west wales ports (not exactly a free for all) and i know the only three skippers of angling boats licences to fish at that distance  out of those two ports Neyland /Milford 

Atlantic Bluefin Tuna are highly regulated and rightly so, including for the Japanese. I'd agree that the ICCAT regulation is quite poor and tries to placate vested interests, and it lags behind what is happening to the population.

Atlantic Tuna have been returning to UK waters in increasing numbers since 2011 and this year it was becoming a free for all for sportfishing for Tuna from Corwnall to Southern Ireland, to Scotland, as sportfishing charter skippers contested for business "Look, come with me and you'll catch a Tuna, and here's a photo on my FB page from our latest trip"). I'm out at sea among some of thees anglers most days the weather is good enough. It's trying to catch an IUCN red list species for no purpose other than a trophy shot. Tuna don't take well to a drawn out fight on sportfishing tackle and hence the MMO had to regulate. Once the population shift is realised, southern qountries will lose quota and the UK will gain, I'm sure.

4 minutes ago, Rave said:

It's a relatively warm Saturday. On a colder day we'd be closer to 40, I reckon, 45 if it was a weekday, and peak loads are 50-55GW on cold weekday evenings. I doubt that they'll build a 30GW link to the UK in any case, as LTL says the plan is to link it to Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark and (IIRC) Sweden as well.

However storage is key. Germany are already causing a measure of chaos in the market in Northern Europe by generating a surplus of wind and solar on some days, which they then have to dump on the rest of northern Europe.

Seemingly smart electricity meters will be used to reduce/ increase demand for electricity by varying the price of electricity. It makes sense to do your washing when the wind is high and there is a lot of cheap electricity.

That seems like a great idea to me, but I know a few people on here and TOS think that smart meters are the work of the devil, with built in government mind control devices or some such :P

Edited by Rave

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Atlantic Bluefin Tuna are highly regulated and rightly so, including for the Japanese. I'd agree that the ICCAT regulation is quite poor and tries to placate vested interests, and it lags behind what is happening to the population.

Atlantic Tuna have been returning to UK waters in increasing numbers since 2011 and this year it was becoming a free for all for sportfishing for Tuna from Corwnall to Southern Ireland, to Scotland, as sportfishing charter skippers contested for business "Look, come with me and you'll catch a Tuna, and here's a photo on my FB page from our latest trip"). I'm out at sea among some of thees anglers most days the weather is good enough. It's trying to catch an IUCN red list species for no purpose other than a trophy shot. Tuna don't take well to a drawn out fight on sportfishing tackle and hence the MMO had to regulate. Once the population shift is realised, southern qountries will lose quota and the UK will gain, I'm sure.

From the people i know the numbers they are seeing are no different to anything since they started probably 10-15 years ago the difference is they have worked out how to catch and lland them yes they are used as a marketing blag but my point was and still is it`s a drop in the ocean compared to the Jap commercials  

Quotas for tuna and the Japaneses is akin to giving a Heroin addict half hundred weight of smack and telling them you are only allowed a gram a day  

1 minute ago, Rave said:

That seems like a great idea to me, but I know a few people on here and TOS think that smart meters are the work of the devil, with built in government mind control devices or some such :P

:) sometimes when it's really windy the National Grid has to pay wind farms to switch their turbines off as there is too much wind. How much better would it be if the electricity price went down and people switched their gas heating off and used electrical heating...

25 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

At this very moment the UK is consuming 33.1 GW... I can't help thinking this project is oversized.... Unless we can store the electricity or export it to Europe...

The hub proposal is to link this to Norway. Norway are currently converting some of their Hydro to pump storage as they see themselves as Europes 'Battery' post oil and gas era.

4 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Seemingly smart electricity meters will be used to reduce/ increase demand for electricity by varying the price of electricity. It makes sense to do your washing when the wind is high and there is a lot of cheap electricity.

But if you are not able to do it then ...will we be rapped on the still days that you can do your washing ,i think this is the fear 

My money is on it won`t be cheaper on the windy days just dearer on the still days 

51 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

From the people i know the numbers they are seeing are no different to anything since they started probably 10-15 years ago the difference is they have worked out how to catch and lland them yes they are used as a marketing blag but my point was and still is it`s a drop in the ocean compared to the Jap commercials  

Quotas for tuna and the Japaneses is akin to giving a Heroin addict half hundred weight of smack and telling them you are only allowed a gram a day  

Tuna numbers are increasing year on year at our latitude. I have data, but anecdotally, this year I often had schools of 20-30 around me and often larger numbers, you would not have seen that 10 years ago. The difference is that they are now also appearing closer inshore. This year I had them within 0.5 nmi of the coast. Anchovies are increasing in our waters. Like Tuna, mackerel are moving northwards as are squid, the latter increasing in abundance in the North Sea the last couple of years. The first Bonito were caught in the N Sea only a few years ago. All a result of the warming NE Atlantic.

Edited by Hopeful

3 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Tuna numbers are increasing year on year at our latitude. I have data, but anecdotally, this year I often had schools of 20-30 around me and often larger numbers, you would not have seen that 10 years ago. The difference is that they are now also appearing closer inshore. This year I had them within 0.5 nmi of the coast. Anchovies are increasing in our waters. Like Tuna, mackerel are moving northwards as are squid, the latter increasing in abundance in the North Sea the last couple of years. The first Bonito were caught in the N Sea only a few years ago. All a result of the warming NE Atlantic.

Mackerel moving northwards how far ? i have caught them in the north of Scotland in the 80`s (they have always been there) ,the UK`s largest commercial pelagic boats are based in Scotladnd and where the mackerel are the tuna are never far away

Numbers maybe increasing but there decline was never due to angling and will never be ,ROI realised a long time ago that Bass anglers were far greater value to there economy than the commercial boys so they banned all netting and commercial line caught (it was still to late) (the US came to the same conclusion with stripped bass years ago)  ..angling has never been the problem it`s not in the interest of the sport

28 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Mackerel moving northwards how far ? i have caught them in the north of Scotland in the 80`s (they have always been there) ,the UK`s largest commercial pelagic boats are based in Scotladnd and where the mackerel are the tuna are never far away

Numbers maybe increasing but there decline was never due to angling and will never be ,ROI realised a long time ago that Bass anglers were far greater value to there economy than the commercial boys so they banned all netting and commercial line caught (it was still to late) (the US came to the same conclusion with stripped bass years ago)  ..angling has never been the problem it`s not in the interest of the sport

Iceland for mackerel. You need to look at the distribution curve for the species with temperature, so of course mackerel have been off Scotland as it's in their thermal niche. Another example, before 1992 the Faorese never caught white-sided dolphin in their Grind (mainly pilot whales), but since 92, white-sided dolphin make a significantly increasing proportion of the catch. What do white-sided dolphin like to eat among other species ? Mackerel.

One Norwegian commercial vessel caught the entire annual quota of Atlantic bluefin tuna for Norway in a single trip this year, unprecedented in recent times.

I think you have a vested angling interest. Fair enough and i'm unlikely to convince you, it feels like I'm entering into a climate change debate.  All I am saying is that it is premature to open up a sport fishery for Tuna in our waters until the quotas and stock movements are taken into account, and a sportfishery it will become as people are already pushing for that. For example, charter skippers on our west coasts are (were) already advertising to attract American tourism. You cannot take more of the species unless someone somewhere else gives up quota, it's IUCN red list. As the movement of tuna is realised in assessments however, that will happen. Southern countries will lose quota as Atlantic bluefin tuna is seen to retreat from their waters and northern countries will gain quota.

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Iceland for mackerel. You need to look at the distribution curve for the species with temperature, so of course mackerel have been off Scotland as it's in their thermal niche. Another example, before 1992 the Faorese never caught white-sided dolphin in their Grind (mainly pilot whales), but since 92, White-sided dolphin make a significant proportion of the catch. What do white-sided dolphin like to eat among other species ? Mackerel.

One Norwegian commercial vesse; caught the entire annual quota of Tuna for Norway in a single trip this year, unprecedented in recent times.

I think you have a vested angling interest. Fair enough and i'm unlikely to convince you, it feels like entering into a climate change debate.  All I am saying is that it is premature to open up a sport fishery for Tuna in our waters until the quotas and stock movements are taken into account, and a sportfishery it will become as peopel are already pushing for that. for example, charter skippers on our west coasts  are already advertising to attract American tourism. You cannot take more of the species unless someone somewhere else gives up quota, it's IUCN red list. As the movement of tuna is realised in assessments however, that will happen. Southern countries will lose quiat as tuna retreats form their waters and northern countries will gain quota.

No one will ever make a living out of sport fishing for tuna from the UK  so theres no fear on that front,i have no vested interest in angling other than it`s a sport i have enjoyed since i was a kid and i have witnessed  its decline due to lack of fish (amongst other things) due to over fishing from the commercial side especially so since the rest of the EU have been in our waters ,,,, and there lies the problem  

As for the part in bold i suspect you are talking about one boat working out of Donegal 

9 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

No one will ever make a living out of sport fishing for tuna from the UK  so theres no fear on that front,i have no vested interest in angling other than it`s a sport i have enjoyed since i was a kid and i have witnessed  its decline due to lack of fish (amongst other things) due to over fishing from the commercial side especially so since the rest of the EU have been in our waters ,,,, and there lies the problem  

As for the part in bold i suspect you are talking about one boat working out of Donegal 

For the part in Bold, boats in SW Ireland, including Donegal, Wales and Scotland. SW England (cornwall) have been a bit slow on the uptake.

There was a viable UK sportfishery at the turn of the 20th Century, hence the creation of the Bluefin Tunny Club.

Commercial fishing (>10m) has decimated fish over the last 200 years.

I'm not a fisherman, but I'm fortunate to catch enough seafood to eat it every day.

Edited by Hopeful