• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

notMyName

The living room

Everyone in our house loves to play pc games, and sometimes we all play multi-player together. The ideal situation is for all 4 PCs to be in the living room, but I just have this baked in idea that the living room should't have more than one computer, and instead be a place for sitting talking, watching TV, having guests over etc.

4 PCs will make the room look like an office, but should I care? It's our family room, and we don't get many guests so is it ok to go against what is the traditional idea of the 'living room'?

Is the traditional living room a thing of the past?

My aunt, has 2 living rooms. One for guests that doesn't get used at other times, and a room used for everything else. It seems a bit strange to me.

It's shit like this that clogs up my thinking on a daily basis.

1 minute ago, NTB said:

Sure, go for it. Best to start a hoarding habit at the same time. That way, guests will never notice.

The missus is already a bit of a hoarder, but it's mostly clothes, bags and shoes. They live upstairs.

1 minute ago, Reebo said:

The missus is already a bit of a hoarder, but it's mostly clothes, bags and shoes. They live upstairs.

Maybe you could hoard PC's B|

when i lived with the mother of most of my kids we had an entire wall dedicated to computers ,4 in a line and we could play online games together .i used the stuff they used for a kitchen surface and bought 4 swivel chairs.it might sound daft but at least i was indulging in an activity with them.

3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

when i lived with the mother of most of my kids we had an entire wall dedicated to computers ,4 in a line and we could play online games together .i used the stuff they used for a kitchen surface and bought 4 swivel chairs.it might sound daft but at least i was indulging in an activity with them.

I can see why she no longer lives with you. o.OxD

5 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Well, I was thinking the same thing. I would have to try and hide most of the cables etc to minimise the 'office' effect. I'm currently trawling through pinterest trying to find ways to disguise cases and make the office area look less 'officey'.

23 minutes ago, One percent said:

I can see why she no longer lives with you. o.OxD

indeed we were not subjected to soaps and other dross of her choice she sat in the other room on her bill wondering why we were loud and laughing has we had fun killing people in online games together

2 minutes ago, Reebo said:

Well, I was thinking the same thing. I would have to try and hide most of the cables etc to minimise the 'office' effect. I'm currently trawling through pinterest trying to find ways to disguise cases and make the office area look less 'officey'.

Social gaming is my hobby. Nothing quite like playing games, getting fucked up, making jokes and taking the piss out of each other. A 4 PC set up sounds ideal for you, enjoy!

27 minutes ago, Reebo said:

it cleans easy has well

20 minutes ago, FudgePacker said:

Social gaming is my hobby. Nothing quite like playing games, getting fucked up, making jokes and taking the piss out of each other. A 4 PC set up sounds ideal for you, enjoy!

before that we used the n64 which to me is the best consul ever made,it was vertualy indistructable if there were 4 pissed people playing it.thats friends around not the kids

Edited by stokiescum

29 minutes ago, Reebo said:

My aunt, has 2 living rooms. One for guests that doesn't get used at other times, and a room used for everything else. It seems a bit strange to me.

I am currently building my second living room. The first will be an adults chillout/hideaway room - the second one will be for gaming and partying.

Why don't you put a pc in the living room for everyone, then connect up a pile of Oculus-Rift (other VR systems available) -- then you could all sit in a normal living room in VR and have virtual tea and chats and watch TV and stuff.

2 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

it cleans easy has well

before that we used the n64 which to me is the best consul ever made,it was vertualy indistructable if there were 4 pissed people playing it.

I mainly play board and card games, but did at one time play a multi-player computer game called MULE on a c64. I LOVE gaming, travelled to many places in Europe and the US doing it. Fun times!

Just now, One percent said:

Candy crush is quite good. 

It was for the company that owned it. A relative was their accountant and worked for a very low salary and share option.

Turned out to be a very wise decision.

to be fair im toying with going dead retro or fking nuts has my lodger claims in my liveing room,ie book shelfs made from breeze blocks and reclaimed railway sleepers and an oxeblood chesterfield (minimum 30 years old) one of the old globe drinks cabinets with the world has it was 50 years plus ago,em its tempting.i can then sit around in a smokeing jacket in my own domain being a cunt on the internet

29 minutes ago, Reebo said:

It's shit like this that clogs up my thinking on a daily basis.

Your mind is contaminated by considering the opinions of others.

I don't have a room for guests, I have a door, it keeps them out.

I'm a little better now but for years my "living room" was full of wires, thick black NAIM NAC-5 in triple runs for front speakers, centre speaker, rear speakers, two subwoofers like washing machines, and loads of amps, tuners, open-reels, cassette decks, Mini-Discs, Philips DCC (Yep...I bought one....), Philips CD-I, laserdiscs, VHS, Betamax, DVDs, CDs, DVD-As, SACDs, Blu-rays, thousands of vinyl albums, singles and 12", all sorts of stuff, including a piano.

Image result for pete townshend's home studio

36 minutes ago, Reebo said:

My aunt, has 2 living rooms. One for guests that doesn't get used at other times, and a room used for everything else.

That was the usual way when I was a child, if you were middle class. It was called the front parlour, my mum and dad never had one, cos we were working class. That's all behind me now, I'm socially mobile and have moved up :P

The front parlour besides being used when important guests visited, was where the body of a deceased occupant was laid out. 

23 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Am I unique here in that the last computer game I played was defender on the atari (assuming tennis on a Wii doesn't count)?

sadly it counts,ive never tried the wii.i quit world of warcraft has i simply got to adicted.i even quit candy crush 12 months ago.

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

sadly it counts,ive never tried the wii.i quit world of warcraft has i simply got to adicted.i even quit candy crush 12 months ago.

That is pretty much the reason I have never started.

3 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Your mind is contaminated by considering the opinions of others.

I don't have a room for guests, I have a door, it keeps them out.

I'm a little better now but for years my "living room" was full of wires, thick black NAIM NAC-5 in triple runs for front speakers, centre speaker, rear speakers, two subwoofers like washing machines, and loads of amps, tuners, open-reels, cassette decks, Mini-Discs, Philips DCC (Yep...I bought one....), Philips CD-I, laserdiscs, VHS, Betamax, DVDs, CDs, DVD-As, SACDs, Blu-rays, thousands of vinyl albums, singles and 12", all sorts of stuff, including a piano.

Image result for pete townshend's home studio

Should this be in the hoarder thread?

3 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

That was the usual way when I was a child, if you were middle class. It was called the front parlour, my mum and dad never had one, cos we were working class. That's all behind me now, I'm socially mobile and have moved up :P

The front parlour besides being used when important guests visited, was where the body of a deceased occupant was laid out. 

Working class here and we had a front room that we were never allowed to use. For guests, high days and holidays. 

3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I played quite a lot of WoW. And then asked myself the question, what the fuck am I doing this for? Couldn't think of a good reason, it's basically a time sink.