• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Tents not allowed

We have an increasing tent population on Swansea sea-front and up the banks of the estuary. I cycle past them most days. Sadly, they are all hidden from the tens of thousands of passing cars by a sea-wall. I wish they weren't as perhaps it would make a lot of people stop and think about what is going on.

One of the saddest things I now regularly see is a tent that has been slashed to pieces making it unsuable. Sometimes, on top of this, there few belongings of the person(s) inside have been strewn all around, in puddles, etc.

I theorised that some people were targetting the homeless and, just before Christmas, I read about that very thing - a homeless couple who had a man attack their tent, slashing it whilst they were inside.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

We have an increasing tent population on Swansea sea-front and up the banks of the estuary. I cycle past them most days. Sadly, they are all hidden from the tens of thousands of passing cars by a sea-wall. I wish they weren't as perhaps it would make a lot of people stop and think about what is going on.

One of the saddest things I now regularly see is a tent that has been slashed to pieces making it unsuable. Sometimes, on top of this, there few belongings of the person(s) inside have been strewn all around, in puddles, etc.

I theorised that some people were targetting the homeless and, just before Christmas, I read about that very thing - a homeless couple who had a man attack their tent, slashing it whilst they were inside.

It is an odd/troubling development.

In the past, homeless people lived in tents in the summer ('nicer', privacy, etc), then moved into hostels in the cold weather (nasty but not actually below zero at night).

I'll add that the only homeless people living in tents that I've 'met' have been British. (but that isn't many).

Edited by dgul

37 minutes ago, dgul said:

In the past, homeless people lived in tents in the summer ('nicer', privacy, etc), then moved into hostels in the cold weather (nasty but not actually below zero at night).

I'll add that the only homeless people living in tents that I've 'met' have been British. (but that isn't many).

Go to the back of the que as you have "relatives" in the UK 

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Do we think all these people found work and now rent some lovely flats in London?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1547549/Immigrants-set-up-illegal-camp-in-Hyde-Park.html

Wife took the dog out for a walk over xmas, have seen the odd tent in the woods over the recent years but was met by middle aged bloke looking well out of place dragging a suitcase out of the woods. He apologetically said he had to sleep in a tent the last few days but had just been offered a floor to sleep on at a friend's so was in the middle decamping. Says a lot about the provision of emergency accommodation of those who need it.

3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42517710

In Brussels, normal tents are forbidden, meaning that homeless people are often moved on by police.

Those behind the project hope that their tents will allow the homeless somewhere safe to sleep.

The tents will be tolerated by police, they said.

More like those behind the project hope that their tents will allow themselves to live a lifestyle far removed from the audience they seek to exploit using third sector charity cash as a guise for selflessness. I thought mass printed cardboard tents would undercut properly machined and  weatherproofed pop-up tents from the likes of decathlon but as I suspected this is not the case. A strikingly comparable cardboard tent aimed at festival goers retails for €69.99 and designed to be rained to mush on the last day of Glastonbury whereas the cheaper fabric one will last half a year - constant use. Environmental concerns my arse. 

There's a growing tent population in Cardiff. I first noticed them a couple of years back and thought it innovative at the time, but their growing numbers depress me. They used to be hidden away in relatively discreet places in parks but they are now popping up under railway bridges and unused shopfronts in the city centre.

Surely if they get moved on from town centres they will start to congregate in tolerated areas? We are starting to see the creation of favelas in the UK.
Admittedly, at least these homeless people do have some private space to call their own, but it's not much of a step on from the proverbial 80s cardboard box...

There's a thread on the Steptoe FB group I'm on about the homelessness issue in Oxford. Someone's very upset that Oxford City council say that 50% of homeless have no local connection and are encouraged to seek shelter whence they came. 

35 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

There's a thread on the Steptoe FB group I'm on about the homelessness issue in Oxford. Someone's very upset that Oxford City council say that 50% of homeless have no local connection and are encouraged to seek shelter whence they came. 

I agree with that.

Vagrancy needs dealing with harshly, fuck this poor this and that.

I got dragged into the ehole homeless bubble. A mate fell into the help the helpless phase and drag sceotical me along.

There are some homeless - lufe turns shit fir some people edp. Singke blokes. However most areas have a large number of charitues to deal with thus - they love getting a genuine homeless person in. It makes their dsy, trust me.

Then theres the other 95%. These are scum. Thry are not homeless, they ate scum whuch is why they dint have a job or a house - cider, smack glue, whatever.

These people are fucking cunts and should be shot. If they were under 20 id say, just let them grow up and nature. But when you are dealing with someone 35+ who does not graso they have to work and not soend all theur money on cider smack whatever. Theres nothing mentalky wrong with them. They just know theyll be bailed out and can pan handle for money. These hit the easy places - little old lady towns andor tourist areas. Panhandling 300/day is not unusual.

I visited Portsmouth town centre a few times recently, and the homeless issue is very visible. They have blankets and bags outside a few shops, and out the back of Tesco.

I've never seen it this bad in 30 years.

Edited by 201p

4 hours ago, 201p said:

I visited Portsmouth town centre a few times recently, and the homeless issue is very visible. They have blankets and bags outside a few shops, and out the back of Tesco.

I've never seen it this bad in 30 years.

20 years ago, the serial useless fuckers would have had  a gotty cheap flat to live in.

6-9m EE have seen the end to cheap, crap flats.

And the Guardian will run the scourhe of homelessness as the fault of the nasty tories, whereas it is a combination of population growth, immigration, planning laws, tax laws, public housing priority lists, etc etc.

59 minutes ago, wherebee said:

And the Guardian will run the scourhe of homelessness as the fault of the nasty tories, whereas it is a combination of population growth, immigration, planning laws, tax laws, public housing priority lists, etc etc.

Have a charity that offers shrlter and food. For work. Then watch them run.

Flicked on the TV just now after work, Home channel, homes under the hammer. Pair of wide bois with 100 properties, buy a house blind, spend £1000 on it, then rent it out.

Chickens are coming home to roost.